+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Anytime out little or large furry ones do anything out of the ordinary time to check them over.

Poor Bogie! See, he knew there was something not right. My dog was attacked one morning a few years ago by my BIL's much larger dog and I didn't notice anything either so I went on to work. My son called me later and said our dog was acting funny and hiding under the bed. So I took off early and went home and found that he had two big puncture wounds that were deep. Straight to the vet and a some medication and a drainage tube later he was doing better. My BIL paid for the vet bills, which I would have expected anyway if he didn't offer.

I would call the vet anyway because he may require some antibiotics. Years ago my mother's dog and my dog (a different dog than the one I have now - I was staying with my parents at the time) got into a huge fight. I took my dog to the vet and she got some antibiotics. My mother didn't take hers to the vet and her dog wound up getting a huge swollen neck from bacteria in the saliva from my dog. I felt just awful because she had to have it lanced. I of course paid for it.

So just to err on the side of caution you might want to take him anyway. But since this happened a couple of days ago I guess if it was going to swell up it would have by now. I feel so bad for the little guy as I know all too well how he feels after seeing my little guy get whooped by a German Shepherd. He got over it quickly but he didn't live in the same house as the bigger dog so maybe that helped.

gabriel: I'm so happy to hear that Joey is back to his head-butting self!

myrosiedog: Oh, poor Bogie. You are not a bad mom! We all know how much you love your doggies. Don't be so hard on yourself. I'm glad that you did find that he was injured and took care of his boo boo. Just keep an eye on him now, in case of infection or somethng. It sounds like a bit of a bad bite.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

And more on Lincoln. As it turns out, he's not declawed, he just doesn't see fit to use them unnecessarily - such a good boy. And the swelling on his pads has gone down so we were able to pull them back to check properly.

Anyway, he apparently has bad dreams quite regularly. He will lie there, twitching and howling while asleep, then wake up suddenly and bolt across the room to jump on Mr. Rattus' lap for some affection. He seems very fond of us both, but he has really taken a shine to Mr. Rattus and will sit on him at pretty much any opportunity - while he's reading in the living room, while he's on the computer, while he's trying to eat his dinner and while he's in bed. The poor little beast has some fairly severe insecurities, which is natural for having lived on the street for so long, but he does seem to be gaining trust in us quite rapidly and I'm quite sure he knows he's one of our boys. Now if he would only get a little more enthusiastic about the personal grooming issue .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2881675;
    . Now if he would only get a little more enthusiastic about the personal grooming issue .
    You need to give examples.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2881675;
    And more on Lincoln. As it turns out, he's not declawed, he just doesn't see fit to use them unnecessarily - such a good boy. And the swelling on his pads has gone down so we were able to pull them back to check properly.

Anyway, he apparently has bad dreams quite regularly. He will lie there, twitching and howling while asleep, then wake up suddenly and bolt across the room to jump on Mr. Rattus' lap for some affection. He seems very fond of us both, but he has really taken a shine to Mr. Rattus and will sit on him at pretty much any opportunity - while he's reading in the living room, while he's on the computer, while he's trying to eat his dinner and while he's in bed. The poor little beast has some fairly severe insecurities, which is natural for having lived on the street for so long, but he does seem to be gaining trust in us quite rapidly and I'm quite sure he knows he's one of our boys. Now if he would only get a little more enthusiastic about the personal grooming issue .
    Rattus, So glad he's doing better and living in a happy home. I know that Waldo's insecurities have dimished a LOT in the last year just due to the love and affection he gets here and the fact that he's fed regularly, has a roof over his head, etc. So I know Lincoln will come to feel more safe and secure with you and Mr. Rattus as time goes by. Bless you for taking him in.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2882403;
    You need to give examples.

Rattus: I'm happy that Lincoln is settling down with you and feeling safe! That's just wonderful news!

---------
    Now listen to me, this is not funny. :nono I put the kettle on for coffee, made some toast and decided to have some peanut butter and honey on it. I microwaved the honey too much and it's like water. I discovered this while putting it on my toast. The kettle whistles, so I make my coffee and then grab the milk from the frig. I soon realize that the milk is floating at the top of the mug. The milk has just 'gone'. Life must continue.

So, I'm opening a brand new jar of peanut butter, trying to be positive and I'm thinking about small things that make you happy. As I tear off the sealed top, I'm thinking to myself how I love opening a brand new jar and the smell you get when you peel that aluminum lid sealer off.

Well, before I know it, there's peanut oil all over the place! It's natural peanut butter which needs to be stirred really well when you first open it. My evil twin sinister said it's great and I should buy it. I usually just buy Kraft. So, it's to my great surprise that when I tipped the jar to get the rest of the flavor seal wrapper off, that a steady stream of oil ran down to the floor. Here's the kicker.....it poured all over little Lexi who was at my feet!

omg: I picked her up and ran to the bathroom and tried to wash her in the sink! She's not happy at all and it's not coming off easily because it's all oily and in her fur. I get a touch of handsoap on her and try to rinse her down, all of course while she's twisting and turning and getting very difficult to hold on to. She also gave me that sad sorry "what are you doing to me Mommy!" look which just breaks my heart. Even though the oil just poured down her back and side, she's pretty much a wet unhappy messy rat! And not really her pure white color at this moment. I may have to wash her again if she's still oily when her fur dries.

But Lexi smells wonderful. Just like peanut butter. I think I'll be calling her my little 'peanut' today.
    Last edited by misskitty; 03-31-2008 at 01:32 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Poor little Lexi! What a traumatic experience! She'll probably run for the hills every time she smells peanut butter now!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

OK, so it's not funny and I didn't laugh.....much. Like you said, sometimes life just happens. What I do know about getting oil off your hair, hands, or anything else similar (including kitties) is that you put the soap on first, massage it around, and then add the water. That makes life much easier! Poor Lexi-Pooh!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Poor Lexi.

Well Bogies wound is looking ok. We have gauze bandage wrapped around his neck trying to keep it covered as it was getting dirty. He's been ok with it, but it looks strange. At least it's white on white, but he looks kind of funny with all that gauze.
    We had to put more on because it keeps slipping, so he's got way more bandage than he needs, but its necessary.

I have a picture of he and Rosie in my lap which I'll post later.

I dont' know if you can see the bandage, but they were being so cute, since both are so jealous and have to be held at the same time.

Note, you can see Waldo's nose and paw on the floor behind my chair. Disregard the stain on my shirt from spillage at lunch.
    Last edited by MRD; 03-31-2008 at 06:58 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread