+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1258Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

MRD

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2849140;

Missy was adopted 12 years ago in June when my Dad retired at 62, because he said it wouldn't be fair to have a creature that needs attention and left home all day.

She had such a good dispositon and just loved to be brushed and have her tummy rubbed. When she was a pup my Dad & I used to "irritate" my Mom by making Missy "sing". We would both be sitting there doing our version of ARRROOOOO, then Missy would join in.

My mother always said "Oh for heavens sake" you two.

Then at about 8 months old Missy had some type of digestive problem and Mom started cooking sweet potato, green beans, beef, chicken, rice, and broth to settle her tummy (It wasn't all combined, it was a variety such as the potato with beef and green beans, or the chicken with rice and green beans.)and it was only in the last year that Missy would even allow Mom to put "dog food" in with the lunch or dinner. My Dad used to complain that his dinner was a cheese sandwich while Missy had chicken and rice with broth and green beans.
    THank you for sharing such nice memories with us Gabriel.

It does suck to get older, but at least we do have some good memories to sustain us.

Our friend that has been visiting said that Rosie looked so old. He hasn't seen her in 2 years. It wasn't done meanly, but it did take us by surprise. We don't think she acts old. She's still just as active as always, but she has gone "gray". But him not seeing her everyday, I guess it must have been a change for him unlike for us because we do see her. I've just been kind of living in "dread" since she turned 11 and then having him say that. I know they can't live forever, but.............it's hard.
    I know she'll be with us yet for a while. She's in great health right now.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Love the stories of Missy gabriel. We had a basset/beagle mix growing up who loved to "sing" when my sister practiced the violin. He would go trotting after her when it was her practice time. My Japanese Chin is about 9 and I remember when I was researching them when we got him that one site said their life expectancy was 10. He still loves a good romp in the woods, but does spend most of the day resting. I'll keep your folks in my heart.
    Count your blessings!

Sorry to hear about Missy, gabriel. to you and your parents.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2850125;
    THank you for sharing such nice memories with us Gabriel.

It does suck to get older, but at least we do have some good memories to sustain us.

Our friend that has been visiting said that Rosie looked so old. He hasn't seen her in 2 years. It wasn't done meanly, but it did take us by surprise. We don't think she acts old. She's still just as active as always, but she has gone "gray". But him not seeing her everyday, I guess it must have been a change for him unlike for us because we do see her. I've just been kind of living in "dread" since she turned 11 and then having him say that. I know they can't live forever, but.............it's hard.
    I know she'll be with us yet for a while. She's in great health right now.

I might have more stories as time goes on.

I know what you're saying about the graying, I noticed the last time I saw Missy 3 weeks ago that she was really looking older and more tired. When I left that day I even gave her an extra rub and told her she was a sweetie.

I've been noticing also that Joeys all black ears are really becoming tinged with white, his chin which was white is now actually going gray if thats possible, along with the black at his eyes. my boy is aging with me.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I'm so sorry about Missy, gabriel. Bassets are such a special breed, and she sounded like a real sweetheart.

I tell you - she was a sweetie. I never ever have met/seen any dog with that sweet disposition. But whoa when she was younger and a rabbit showed up in the yard -- ZOOM!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Ha! That was our Bowzer, too!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2853098;
    Ha! That was our Bowzer, too!
    Who ever knew a low to the ground 50 some pound dog could run so fast?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2848474;
    Now a bit of sad news. I just got off the phone with my Mom and last night Mom & Dad had to have Missy the Bassett Hound laid to rest at just about 12 years old. Something about a degenerative nerve and last night she couldn't pick up her hind legs, they got her to the emergency hospital, they had to intubate (sp?) her because her breathing was getting difficult and doctors were talking about checking her brain etc., Mom & Dad said no, she's had a good life and there was no guarantee of a good outcome. So Godspeed to you dear Missy, Miss Mona and a host of others are waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge - Go free.
    Awwww. My sincerest condolences to you and your folks, dear gabriel. Missy sounds like she was the sweetest Bassett Hound ever. I love that you and your Dad would help her sing for your Mom. I'm very glad that she had a very happy 12 years with lots of love and attention. Know that she is loved over at Rainbow Bridge and has lots of friends. I'll let Snowy know to go find her and invite her over for a little Easter cheer! If there's anything I can do, please feel free to pm me.

Gracie, Mr. Tootles and Lexi send their purrs and blessings. And a skritch to Joey as well! Hugs to you sweet man.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I am so far behind in this thread so let me just put out a to those of you who need it, and please know that I'm touched by all your stories.

We have some good news here in the Roses' backyard. Our annual visitor (although for the past two years she was a no-show for some reason) has returned and is busy remodeling her home. The strap where she's building, actually held a baby swing for our daughter (who's 21 now ) which we never took down from the patio cover. This is immediately outside our backdoor, with a window directly next to her which makes it ideal for checking on the babies' progress. No eggs yet, she's still in construction mode, but I'll post pictures as the story develops.

Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread