+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1319Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

And I would be hesitant to try to find them another home because who knows what the next home will be like or what they or the new owners would do.
    This touches on another issue. If you give the dogs away, guess who bites off (ooh, poor choice of words!) the liability for their future aggression?

I agree with MRD that talking to the vet is a good idea. Along with ideas for what to do with the dogs, they are more likely to be better acquainted with your local laws pertaining to aggressive animals.

I'm going to revise earlier advice that I gave--instead of maybe going to an attorney prior to going to Small Claims, I'd go NOW before the situation escalates. You've been placed in a very bad situation through no fault of your own.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

You should definitely go see a lawyer. No matter what the contract says you may be able to get out of it because the shelter hid the fact that the dogs were aggressive. If you can't afford to pay a lawyer, see if there is any sort of neighborhood legal clinic or pro bono program of the local bar association you can go through.

I know you got advice above to take pictures of the damage. I'd definitely do that. In addition, I'd get copies of Dallas's vet records. If your son's sweatshirt and jeans are still around, I would take pictures of those as well.

I love animals but that sounds like an intolerable situation that is all the shelter's fault.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2834438;
    I have chased all three very bad dogs all over the neighborhood this morning. In my funky pink flannel pj's and purple fuzzy slippers. Waldo started it, Bogie followed him and Rosie who is normally good followed me following them. I chased them up the hill and down. Then Rosie ran to join them. I was freaking out becasue they got in the street. There was a HS kid waiting on the corner watching all this and I'm sure laughing at me. Then the bus came and Rosie almost got on it with him. So now a bus full of HS kids is lauhing at me and I could just about do something really mean to Waldo as he kept going and looking back at me like he was laughing.
    They've all been really good lately until this morning. I swear Waldo was doing the doggy equivalant of giving me the finger.

Spring fever has hit them all.
    And Miss Rosie is too old for this (you'd never know, she's as spry as ever) today being her 11th birthday and all.

Now the rest of the day, they will go out one at a time which I hate, but I hate chasing them even more. They've been so good lately until this morning.

What's funny is that Waldo is the dog at the bottom of the totem pole as far as pecking order goes in this house, but outside, he is THE one that leads the others into trouble and they follow him willingly. So how smart are they following the big dummy?
    I can see this playing in my head and am laughing my butt off!! Go Waldo, On Rosie, Go Bogie!! Yeah -- Mom wants to exercise....
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Hoy mackeral Sherri, that's incredible. It sounds like you have been given some good advice about seeking a lawyer anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2834438;
    And Miss Rosie is too old for this (you'd never know, she's as spry as ever) today being her 11th birthday and all.
    Happy Birthday Rosie!

MRD

Rosie thanks you all!

She is waiting for cake! And treats! And dad to get home, which he is coming home a day earlier than expected. So Rosie will get a great birthday gift and get to sleep with him and not have to "settle" for me anymore.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Happy birthday, Rosie! Gustav sends big Newfie kisses your way
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Happy birthday, rosie! What's more fun than humiliating your owner on your birthday, lol. At least you had jammies on, an old friend of mine chased his new puppy down the block, and he was only wearing a bathtowel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherri;2833039;
    I've started having major problems with the bulldogs and don't know what to do! One day last week I came home to find my house destroyed. My recliner (now broken), was laying on it's side, end tables overturned, books chewed up, blankets and pillows ripped, etc. They literally broke through my oldest sons bedroom door and completely soaked his bed with urine.

On Saturday, I needed to be gone for a couple of hours, so I put them in the laundry room. They destroyed everything they could reach and than somehow broke through the door. It was actually torn from the hinges! They completely ransacked the house and even broke the arm on the couch.

They have also become very agressive with the other dogs and with each other. They have attacked Dallas (my standard poodle) and twice now have left puntures or tears in his leg. Since last night they have been going at each other almost nonstop. They get vicious and end up bloody but keep going. We have seperated them as much as possible, but I'm lost on what to do. They destoyed their kennels and have broken through two doors in the house, I don't know how to control them. It's too cold to put them outside.

Now the bad part, I called the rescue center this morning and was pretty much told it was my problem. They were to be adopted together and they will not take only one back. They also admitted knowing about the behavior problems. They had been under a one month quaratine for attacking another dog. That quaratine ended the day I adopted them!

I can return them but their policy states I will be charged boarding fees until they are placed in a new home. That's 40.00 a day per dog. I also signed a contract that I would keep them together so I can't bring one to another shelter. Plus I would feel guilty dumping my problems on someone else.

I've already spent over 700.00 on vet bills. This includes nuetering both of them and now several visits for stitches and antibiotics. I can't even begin to add up the damages to the house and personal items!

90% of the time they are great dogs but the 10% when they aren't is horrible! I really don't know what to do and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Talk to your local Animal Control officer for advice. See if there is free legal advice in your city. That dog was not adoptable. The shelter should have warned you. I think the shelter is liable for at least fees for training for the dog. You are a good soul for helping out an animal. But sometimes enough is enough. Let us know how it turns out.

Sherri: I hope you find a solution to the anger problem of your dogs!

myrosiedog: HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROSIE!!!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread