+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1429Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Gutmutter: I'm glad that you took Frosti back. It didn't sound like he was in a good home. Maybe you should keep him??

TonyDanza: I almost named my kitty Kashmire! Please post a photo!

JDeterFan: Oh, what an adorable face Apolo has! You are so kind to adopt a rescued pet. All of my kitties are rescues.

Unk: My your boys are getting big! They are still handsome as ever.

I was at the PetSmart yesterday where the rescue organizations bring in some of their rescued animals for adoption. They enjoyed hearing an update on Lexi and saw her photo in the rescue magazine they had. I guess that she and her siblings were very dirty and hungry, and mangey when they were picked up. I just found out that Lexi's Dad was the white cat and her Mom was a grey Manx. I thought the Dad was the Manx but I was wrong. We're going to try to have a reunion in a few months with all the kittens and possibly their mom and dad too.
    Last edited by misskitty; 03-09-2008 at 06:17 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Recent pics of Lexilicious!

Cute- especially the sink one...
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

She's a cutie.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

She is adorable! With her parentage, she has the potential to be a sizable girl!!! I've always wanted a really big kitty! My fantasy takes me to the Manx, Savannahs, and Servals.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Awww, she is just so cute, misskitty!!

What an absolutie cutie Miss Lexi is
    CYA

Thank you everyone for your kind comments on Lexi! Sometimes I catch a glimpse of her and don't believe she's real. She has some of the cutest looks. I just can't catch them all on film.

**threadjack - WARNING - going to rant about animal abuse - details will make you want to threadjack**

WTH is happening with people abusing animals!? Within the last few weeks, we've had horrible news.

- First, 4 teenagers break into a home where the family is away on vacation. They ransack it. Then, they return, and put the family cat in the microwave, killing it for no possible reason whatsoever. Everyone in the community knows who the 4 youths are. People are enraged and set up a Facebook page about it. The police and RCMP shut it down and warned the public that they cannot mention the identity of the killers because they are under 18 years of age. The public keeps trying to vent online and call for action and the highest sentences. The courts and police say that the identity of the killers trumps free speech of those affected by the crime.

- Next, a neighbor decides to deal with the problem of his other neighbor's dog's barking and playing on his acreage by tying a rope around the dog's neck and slicing it's throat open. He left the dog to die behind a shed on the owners property. He is a middle-aged adult. The public is outraged. The police say he can only be charged with harming an animal and given a fine, but there is nothing criminal he can be charged with. Everyone else in the community loved this dog and had no problems with it. The police can only tell us that the neighbor was wrong to handle his complaint this way.

- Now today, I hear that in a small farming community, not too far away, that 29 horses have been found dead. The SPCA seized more than 100 other horses and have taken them to a nearby feedlot to recover. The horses are all expensive Arabians, which witnesses say were found on the farm in deplorable condition. In 2005, the owner was warned to take better care of his animals and charged $1,000. Neighbors say the horses have been neglected for years. Additional complaints to the SPCA went unheeded for two years. The average Arabian is worth between $1,500 and $2,500. They also found deceased and neglected rabbits, chickens, ducks, goats, and sheep, that "were in need of care, proper feed, proper water."

Police are not expected to get involved in the case and no charges have been laid against the owner. The SPCA admitted they knew about the problem at the farm for two years or so, but didn't have enough evidence to take action. Results of their investigation are now expected in two weeks.

My question is this:

What on earth can be done to get the laws changed so that animal abuse is taken seriously? We want real and concrete criminal charges and sentences given to those who mistreat or violently hurt, harm or kill a pet or domestic animal! Does anyone have any kind of legislation in their area that has teeth in it? How can we influence the politicians, lawmakers, and public to change the way they currently handle these kind of horrific actions?

Any information, even links, would be appreciated. As well, I remember that legislation was changed somewhere in the USA so that pets are considered family and rescued during storms such as Katrina. Does anyone know where I can find that? E-mail the info to me if you don't wish to post.

misskitty is hissing mad and something needs to be done. Can anyone help me?

**end rant**

I apologize if this has upset you. It has become a thorn in my paw.

The world needs tougher laws that abuse/kill animals. Quite frankly I would not be adverse to having people who abuse or kill animals, be abused or killed the way they did it. I'm really sick of mollycoddled criminals. That golfer that killed that hawk should also be made to sit while someone lobs baseballs at him, which would be the equivalent of the golf balls going at the hawk.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I've started having major problems with the bulldogs and don't know what to do! One day last week I came home to find my house destroyed. My recliner (now broken), was laying on it's side, end tables overturned, books chewed up, blankets and pillows ripped, etc. They literally broke through my oldest sons bedroom door and completely soaked his bed with urine.

On Saturday, I needed to be gone for a couple of hours, so I put them in the laundry room. They destroyed everything they could reach and than somehow broke through the door. It was actually torn from the hinges! They completely ransacked the house and even broke the arm on the couch.

They have also become very agressive with the other dogs and with each other. They have attacked Dallas (my standard poodle) and twice now have left puntures or tears in his leg. Since last night they have been going at each other almost nonstop. They get vicious and end up bloody but keep going. We have seperated them as much as possible, but I'm lost on what to do. They destoyed their kennels and have broken through two doors in the house, I don't know how to control them. It's too cold to put them outside.

Now the bad part, I called the rescue center this morning and was pretty much told it was my problem. They were to be adopted together and they will not take only one back. They also admitted knowing about the behavior problems. They had been under a one month quaratine for attacking another dog. That quaratine ended the day I adopted them!

I can return them but their policy states I will be charged boarding fees until they are placed in a new home. That's 40.00 a day per dog. I also signed a contract that I would keep them together so I can't bring one to another shelter. Plus I would feel guilty dumping my problems on someone else.

I've already spent over 700.00 on vet bills. This includes nuetering both of them and now several visits for stitches and antibiotics. I can't even begin to add up the damages to the house and personal items!

90% of the time they are great dogs but the 10% when they aren't is horrible! I really don't know what to do and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread