+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1428Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2817714;
    Oh yeah, they're starving all right. My daughter and I were just commenting that Rosie needs a "foundaton" garment or her coat and sweaters aren't going to fit anymore. She has a "poochy tummy" now.
    Henry's sweaters border on being a little too tight for him as well. He has to go to the vet next week for his annual shots (I haven't told him about this yet). The vet has always said that if Henry gets over 20 pounds, he will need to go on a diet. He narrowly escaped the trauma of a diet by 1/2 pound last year, but I'm not sure what will happen this time around.

We've been feeding him this new food that is especially "blended" for Dachshunds. It's made by Eukanuba and he loves it! Of course, he also loves human food as well and makes daily attempts to snatch our food.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;2818008;
    Our 3 dogs have taken to giving my kids the "boo boo face" when they get home from school. I'm usually at work so the 3 of them jump on the opportunity to look as emaciated and on their last breath as possible to convince the kids that Momma forgot to feed them. All they need to complete the look are dark glasses and a tin cup. Clara the kitty, on the other hand, has found a new way to amuse herself. She has learned how to slam shut all the doors in the house. I realize that she's probably looking for a moment or two alone away from the dogs but until I put her in her bed in the laundry room for the night, it goes on all day.
    I am at the picture of your dogs with dark glasses and a tin cup, begging.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

The poor robins are not liking all this snow we've gotten this week. They are flocking around our crabapple trees eating last fall's crop. I hope none of them get drunk and fly into our windows!!!
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;2818412;
    The poor robins are not liking all this snow we've gotten this week. They are flocking around our crabapple trees eating last fall's crop. I hope none of them get drunk and fly into our windows!!!
    I'll send you a bag of seed!

In the meantime, don't clean the windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2818476;
    I'll send you a bag of seed!

In the meantime, don't clean the windows.
    Robins don't eat seed!!!! I've got three feeders full.

What are clean windows? Although clean or dirty means nothing to a drunk robin!!!

In summer, when there is an abundance of all kinds of food, the adult's diet is usually about 60% plant (mostly fruit) and 40% animal (mostly worms and insects). However, when the weather turns cold, robins must switch to eating almost nothing but fruit. When it's very cold, a robin keeps warm by shivering, and the sugar from berries gives it plenty of energy to shiver. When robins over-winter in northern places, they usually stay near fruit trees, and during cold snaps in spring robins may return to them. Fruit also gives robins energy to fuel their long migration.

Cold weather keeps fruit fairly fresh, but eventually it gets moldy just as food left too long in a refrigerator does. And old fruit slowly ferments, which means that the some of the sugar changes to alcohol. If robins eat too many fermented berries, they can become confused and clumsy, and sometimes crash into things or get killed by predators. So as soon as any fresh food becomes available in spring, robins desert the old berries and concentrate on worms and any early bugs until the trees leaf out and new fruits start to grow.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Great info veejer! Thanks!

(a bag of apples riddled with worms is on it's way)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Why do some yards/neighborhoods have crows, and some don't?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Why are dogs allergic to clean sheets? Why must they yak as soon as the bed is changed? I didn't even get the old sheets washed before I've had to wash the new sheets.

We get crows sometimes, but not often.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My cats were going nuts yesterday they were chasing each other all over the place. It was like tag you're it no you're it.
    Now they're all napping

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Our Humane Society has launched a campaign for animal behavior (read "dog") training to try to keep more dogs in their owners homes. They have got these adorable dogs next to slogans that say: "I like the neighbors. They taste just like chicken." "Nice rug. Mind if I use it?" "I left something in your chair this morning. It wasn't the newspaper." "I've already eaten. By the way, the litterbox is clean."

I really like the idea! They did the same kind of thing during a spay/neuter clinic last year, and it was hugely successful.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread