+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1429Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Love the story. PERFECT happy ending.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

What a great story.

It reminds me a bit of the story they told during the Westminster show of the dog in WWII.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Meowza! What a sweet story! I love those kind!

We had a great story today from the Human Society... Every shelter should do this!!
    A purr-fect match

A new program, called A Senior for A Senior, provides people over 60 years old with cats over age six, FREE of charge.

Society spokeswoman Diane Shannon said the society will waive the regular adoption fee of $110 in order to find homes for older cats which are often more difficult to place with younger families.

"When an older cat is surrendered and confined to a kennel, typically they stay there a lot longer because most people are looking for a kitten or younger cat they can spend the cat's whole life with."

Shannon said older cats can spend as much as six months in a cage before being adopted. "They deserve more. And the benefits to senior citizens of having animals has been well-documented."

The society currently has 93 cats waiting for new homes, but only a handful are over six years old, she said.

"But it kind of ebbs and flows," she said. "They belong in someone's lap and not in a kennel."

The society launched another program Thursday which will provide bonded pairs of cats to new homes for the cost of one cat.

"When two come in together when they've been from the same home, we want them adopted together," she said.

The program will also extend to cats which have spent a lot time together in the same kennel. The society currently has about seven pairs that could go together.

jholubitsky@thejournal.canwest .com
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Did you hear the story about Oogie on Oprah yesterday? That dog and the family just stole my heart.

Attachment 23366Attachment 23367Attachment 23368

Love comes in many different packages—even in the form of a loveable pet! For Larry and his family, love came in the form of a dog named Oogy. "Everyone who sees him loves him," Larry says. "You'd never know it from his background, but he's overcome tremendous adversity to get here."

When he was just a puppy, Larry says Oogy was living in a hell on earth. He was tied to a stake and used as bait for pit bulls in a dogfighting ring. "He'd been thrown in a cage and left to die, and the police raided the facility," Larry says. "He was brought to Ardmore Animal Hospital, and they saved him."

Dr. Bianco, a veterinarian, says Oogy was still a puppy when he first treated the dog's severe damage. "He basically had the side of his face ripped off, his jaw was crushed, his skull was damaged," he says. "He's lucky to be alive."

Larry and his twin boys were at the vet to drop off their cat when Oogy walked down the hall…and right into their hearts. "He looked like part of him had melted," Larry says. "But he just covered us with kisses. It's like he didn't know that anything bad had happened to him—he was just full of love. He jumped in our arms."

When Larry found out the dog didn't belong to anyone, he asked Dr. Bianco if he could adopt him. "I couldn't believe my good luck," Larry says. "That's how I felt about this dog right from the start."
    .../more (read it all)

A Loveable Dog Named Oogy
    Last edited by misskitty; 05-12-2008 at 06:23 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Even kitties spoon!

Uncle David Love the pics, your cats are such snuggle bunnies.

And the stories about Oogie and Nubs both made me cry. Thank goodness, I didn't read this thread when I was at work today.

You're killing me with those pics Uncle David. I can't have kitties since my SO is very allergic. They are so adorable.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Well...that's the least that Greta could do for her little sister since she did humiliate her by putting her in that headlock!!

Great dog stories! Very touching.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2796940;
    Even kitties spoon!
    That is the cutest picture.

Uncle David: I think that is the cutest picture that you've posted yet!

I wish I'd had the camera ready to go Thursday night. My husband grilled shrimp and steaks for a special Valentine's Day dinner for us. Henry and Simon were lurking around under the grill. Henry heaved his long self up into a patio chair so that he could see/sniff what was going on with the grill! Food was great. We did give the dogs a bit of steak and they loved that!
    Of course, they love anything that is edible and a LOT of things that I don't consider edible.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread