+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1258Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

MRD

Re: For animal lovers

Some breeds do rescue animals too. When I was looking at the Tibetan Mastiff, they have a TM rescue, so you can sometimes get dogs from the breed website that are rescued animals if you don't want to go through the puppy stage.

My family thinks I'm crazy for wanting a dog that big. I'm sure I'll get over it. I think it was just the "its so cute, it looks like a giant Waldo" phase at the moment.

I swear, if I had the resources and the land, I'd be the crazy animal lady with all kinds of animals I've rescued. They just had a story on the news here where they had to rescue 12 horses from someone. It was so sad. These horses were malnourished, diseased, etc. Why do people have animals if they can't take care of them or won't?

I did tell my husband that if we buy the property we are looking at maybe I could get some sheep and the TM dog could herd them. Since they do some herding. He just laughed. He said that he could see me with a "herd" of sheep. Yeah, it is pretty funny when I think about it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by shyra;2793963;
    Can someone tell me what the differences are between an English Bullmastiff and a regular Bullmastiff and a dogue de bordeaux? I have had small dogs before but never a big dog and since we are moving to the country I am thinking about getting a large dog so I am not alone at night as my hubby works steady nights. Not sure what kind of dog I will end up getting but I am interested in the mastiff's.
    If you are willing, I would also explore the many breed rescues. There is pretty much a rescue for all breeds and are usually listed through their respective club. Furthermore, the club for each breed has great information on if the breed is right for you and your family, what to look for with a good breeder, etc. I mean, they should know about the dog since they are the ones who set the standard for how the dogs are judged at competitions like Westminster .

Good luck in finding a dog ! The right one is out there for you.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I will do some more research on the mastiff's. Years ago my ex hubby and I had a rottweiller but that dog would never listen to me even though it was me who took him to obedience school. That was the only big dog I have ever had and I think I am just nervous because he never listened to me.

canuckinchile: Meowza! What a gorgeous doggy! So sweet!

myrosiedog: Happy Anniversary to Waldo too! He is a big boy but looks so very happy!

I wish I could watch the Westminster shows. I don't get cable.

Attachment 23365
    FYI: I just bought some great stuff for my kitties from my vet. Their fur is very dry and staticy because of the lack of humidity in the house. I picked up something called VET Solutions - Aloe & Oatmeal Skin & Coat Conditioner for Dogs and Cats! It has Vitamins A,D,E, chammomille, and is safe to use on dry skin or fur. And it smells nice too! I might try some on my dry locks and see what happens.

It's made in Texas. Vet Solutions Aloe & Oatmeal Skin & Coat Conditioner 16 oz - 3425
    Last edited by misskitty; 05-12-2008 at 05:23 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I have my humidifier set at 55%.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Awww, too, too cute! I'd be getting that blown up and framed.

MRD

Uncle David, that is without a doubt, one of the cutest photos I've ever seen.

I agree with Unk, that's frame worthy.

Waldo has a new stick. I will try to get a photo of him with it tomorrow. I was laughing so hard at him that I didn't think to run and get the camera.
    It's actually NOT a stick, but a BRANCH! It's HUGE and he is SO proud of it.

He also has a mushroom I dropped tonight in the kitchen. He won't eat it, but its in his "spot" where he takes all this special stuff. I will have to pick it up before bed and it gets gross. But I think he's just happy to have it even though he won't eat it.

Rosie has been one PISSED OFF dog this week. Her dad is gone and she is NOT happy and has taken it out on all of us. She won't come near us. Lays in her bed with her back to the room, snaps and growls at everyone. Won't let anyone hold her and after the first night has slept in my husbands spot away from me. She glares at everyone and everything and won't play. She is not a happy dog. And I thought I was unhappy he was gone. She won't even let Bogie chew her ears and that is her very favorite thing. She will be so happy tomorrow afternoon when he gets home. She knew something was up when the suitcase came out the other day.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2792181;
    lthough I did see an interesting article, where apparently some areas of New England don't even get enough animals into the shelter for people to adopt, so they are sending up some from here and Alabama, at great expense. That's hard for me to even imagine because around here, there are several shelters in most counties, and they are always overflowing with puppies, kittens, dogs, and cats of any and all descriptions.
    QueenB: Our local Humane Society takes twenty to thirty dogs per month to New England. Almost ALL of these dogs get adopted immediately. I think that most of the dogs go to New Hampshire and Vermont. Our Humane Society has been given the use of a van and they have volunteers who drive the animals to New England.

I LOVED the darling Beagle who won Westminster! Not so sure if I want a Tibetan Mastiff... I prefer small, low to the ground, long dogs (like Henry).
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

That picture has to be the sweetest thing I've ever seen! You should submit that to a cat calender publisher!
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread