+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1256Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Re: For animal lovers

Hello everybody. I'm wondering if anyone can give me some advise on how to handle this: My mutt dog, the "mean" one - and truly, he isn't mean, but very protective of his territiory and his people - well, he bit my oldest daughter this weekend. She is 13 and is his primary caretaker, and she knows his quirks and did not provoke him. I was right beside her as this happened. She bent down to kiss his head, which she has done hundreds of times, and he turned and snapped at her, catching her cheek. It broke the skin.

This is not the first time he has snapped at someone, but it is the first time he actually bit. It is also the first time it involved one of the girls. But lately it seems he is picking fights with my older dog all the time. He's barking like a mad dog at the neighbor dogs through the fence. He gets it in his head that he wants to "attack" the front door and he goes through this barking frenzy at the slightest provocation. And nobody better even dare to walk up to my front door...

He is part chow, which I have heard many times can be a temperamental and moody breed, especially as they age. He's about 5 now - not sure exactly as he was adopted from the pound. But I'm really concerned that his aggressive tendencies are coming out and that he could pose a danger to my two girls.

My boyfriend and my ex-hubby think it's best to put the dog down. They say I can't make excuses for the dog forever, and what will it take for me to realize I'm risking a serious injury to my daughters? I am not making excuses, but I do feel guilty for considering this as an option. To me, when you take on the responsibility of an animal, you aren't just saying you'll do that if the animal is good and sweet and well-behaved. You're saying you'll be there to help guide and train and love and live with your pet every day.

Which as I read it back, that sounds wonderfully ideal. It just isn't worth risking a serious bite injury, though, is it?

I think I would take him to the vet to see if there is anything wrong. Being sick or hurt in some way could make them snappy like that.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

He was just at the vet for his annual check up about a month ago. This has been going on for several months, getting progressively worse. Not that he couldn't have been sick and the vet just wasn't looking for anything like that at the time...

You should have the vet take a look, and explain the situation. They are better able to determine if there is a cause, or if it is just 'growing into' their agressive tendencies.

we have a Blue Heeler, and some friends of mine have had to have theirs put down in the past becasue of way too much agressiveness. Our is not, but he is pretty protected from having to be either.
    We don't need a doorbell, because the dog bell goes off well before anyone can reach the bell.

plus, hubby definitely laid down the alpha-dog chain of command when Dozer was a pup. So, if we growl at him when he is getting a little much, he knows he has gone too far.

but, as much as they are part of our families - children are more so (no matter how much we say otherwise) - and you must protect your human family first.

but, talk to your vet. He may have suggestions.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2791223;
    Oh, I loved the Irish Wolfhound too, though I can't even begin to imagine owning one. The commentator said that it was the tallest breed in the show, which got me thinking - I thought the Great Dane was the tallest dog going. Or did he just mean that there were no Great Danes competing?

The breeds I've fallen in love with this year (so far) are the French bulldog and the Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen. What characters!
    I love how the commentators call it the PBGV. Sounds like they are saying HeeBee Geebee.

National Geographic did a great show a couple months ago about Dogs, called Dog Genius and they explained how dogs descended from wolves and became domesticated and attuned to man. It was fascinating.
    Last edited by MRD; 02-12-2008 at 05:47 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Wolfhounds are taller than Great Danes, and English Mastiffs are the heaviest. I love watching the dog show, too.

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2791607;
    He was just at the vet for his annual check up about a month ago. This has been going on for several months, getting progressively worse. Not that he couldn't have been sick and the vet just wasn't looking for anything like that at the time...
    RG, I think you should definitely check with your vet. Your dog may need a CAT scan (I know, $$$$) to determine what's wrong.

I love all our pets, but if they were attacking without being provoked, they would be gone. I'm sorry, this must be very difficult for you and your kids.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I would definitely have the dog to the vet for a full FULL checkup (Cat scan and/or xrays) before you make any decisions, there really could be something wrong. Oh man I hate to bring this up but years ago my Aunt & Uncle had a German Sheperd who was always very territorial, and only my Aunt could control him. Around 6 or 7 years of age he was just getting wayyyyy to nasty, they took him to a vet and found he had cancer throughout his body, poor thing. Vet said it had probably there since day one and was just taking over as time went on.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;2791628;
    Wolfhounds are taller than Great Danes, and English Mastiffs are the heaviest. I love watching the dog show, too.
    English Mastiffs' beautiful heads weigh more than the whole dogs of most breeds. Gustav and I took handling classes with a Mastiff named Ernie, who's head must have been bigger than a basketball. I'll never forget the first Mastiff that I ever saw. It was at my first dog show, and a big male was trying to sit in his owner's lap If I ever switch to a short-hair breed, English Mastiffs will be my first choice.

I'm starting to see a few Tibetan Mastiffs at shows (OK, I've seen one ). They are a lot more Newf-like in appearance--big, thick coats, more proportionate heads . . . Neapolitan Mastiffs (think Hagrid's dog Fang in the movies) are fairly hideous in person. I was starting to like the breed based on photos, but seeing two champions in person was enough to put me right off the breed.

Bullmastiffs aren't even on my radar. Too small.

On a slightly different show-related topic, today I volunteered to be a steward at the local dog show this April The Chief Ring Steward assured me that she'd do her best to have me at the same ring as the Newfs.
    Last edited by Newfherder; 02-12-2008 at 06:44 PM.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2791425;
    Newf were brought here on the Chariots of the Gods.
    I thought Newf was brought here on a space ship from another planet. Oh, wait, you were talking about dogs, not Newf the FORT member.

+ Reply to Thread