+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1141Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

There are almost certainly Great Danes competing, but Irish Wolfhounds are taller. Danes have heavier bone structure, though.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Teach your children well Uncle David's Avatar

I look at my tiny little 8lb sweeties and I look at those massive dogs and the only thing that runs through my mind is... 'snacks'!

Totally rooting for Australian Shepard and the BEAGLE!! I would love to see an Aussie or a Beagle win Best in Show!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Didn't I hear somewhere that dogs and cats are descended from the same animal? This goes waaay far back, and I can't remember the name of the animal. Somebody help me!!! I think the animal's name begins with an "M".
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Sacrilege! Newfies have nothing in common with kitties! Newfs, having evolved beyond the ordinary canine riff-raff, barely acknowledge relationship to other dogs

Although a lot of dog breeds claim to have Newfs in their origins, I think it's mostly social climbing and name-dropping
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I have a friend who had the same line of thinking, and you should have seen his face fall when I showed him the information several years ago! It was priceless!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Not to aggravate the dog people, but the information is out there (it shocked me, too):

About Dogs

The home page for our pet magazine dog pages

The dog is part of the family Canis, a number of similar animals that include wild hunting dogs like the African hunting dog and Australian Dingo. Coyotes, Foxes, Jackals and Wolves that share common characteristics. Any of these wild dogs have been claimed as the domestic dog's wild ancestor but in truth the exact origins of the dog and domestication history of the dog are really uncertain.

Many archaeologists and paleontologists have agreed that the prehistoric Miacis, a large weasel-like animal, is the ancestor of the canids as well as other families such as bears, cats, civets, hyena and racoon. From the Miacis evolved the Cynodictis, a nearly dog-like animal from which later evolved the dog family.

Canids share many common genetic characteristics - they all bear live young, have similar (canine) dental structures and walk on their toe pads rather than the soles of their feet. Canids are also homeothermic which means they are able to maintain their body temperature fairly constant.

The natural hunting instincts of the dog has been utilised by man over the years to hunt a variety of prey. Hunting dogs were developed by man to suit their hunting environments. Different groups of dogs became different dog breeds. Gaze Hounds were an early group of dogs developed. These dogs were used to spot prey from a distance and then to sprint swiftly and silently to run down prey in open, treeless terrain.

Then came such breeds as the Afghan, Greyhound and Saluki. Scent Hounds with an exceptional sense of smell were developed in Europe . These dogs were not bred for speed but stamina. They were used to scent track prey over long periods of time. From this group dog breeds such as the Basset, Blood, Elk and Otter hounds developed. In Britain terrier dogs were developed to hunt burrowing prey and to control vermin. These dogs needed to be energetic and spirited. Most breeds of terrier are descended from the extinct Old English Black and Tan Terrier and the White English Terrier.

Over the decades two distinct types of terrier have developed: small earth terriers with short legs who would go to ground after badgers, foxes and rabbits and the larger terriers for hunting otters, water rats and wildlife that lived near rivers and around farms. With the invention of the gun, Gundogs with sensitive noses were developed to indicate the location and flush out prey. After the event retrieve the prey without damaging it any further. To this end Pointers and Retrievers were developed.

Although hunting was mainly responsible for the original development of dogs, they were also used to protect and work with other domesticated animals kept by man. Guard dogs and herding dogs were developed along with burden, guide and rescue dogs. Not forgetting the toy dogs developed as companions.

About Dogs - Our Magazine Dog Home Page - Pet Dogs - Petmag - Online pet magazine

It isn't really surprising. Go back far enough, and we are all slopping around in the same primordial ooze. Except Newfs.
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Teach your children well Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2791374;
    Except Newfs.
    Newf were brought here on the Chariots of the Gods.

Sounds like that explains it to me, UD!

+ Reply to Thread