+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1428Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

MRD

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2789987;
    Oh, I'd like to have a dog too, but that will have to wait until I retire and can spend more time with it, especially since I work at night. The kitties are generally pretty quiet and willing to sleep during the daytime, like me.
    Bogie and Rosie will sleep anytime, anywhere as long as its with me and sometimes without me.

Waldo isn't much for my afternoon nap. He wants to play.

In fact, both Rosie and Bogie are curled up in my bed right now, but I have the electric heater pad on and both are on my side of the bed which is warm. Waldo's on the sofa watching tv. When he learns to use the remote, I'll be worried.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2788453;
    Well, Lexi has started to get Mr. Tootles into playing with her a bit! It's great because he needs to be on an exercise program! Miss Gracie-Lin, mind you, is still keeping her distance. She's been better at remaining in "her places" but still hisses at the little one who just wants to snuggle.
    Jaxi is getting both D.Bo and Buddy to finally play with her. She started a tif the other day though, when Mike was playing with her, she starts "growling" and tries to chew on his hands. It's cute and we know she's playing. Buddy didn't and thought she was attacking Mike so he attacked. A large scuffle ensued with Mike getting his thumb bit by Buddy - it was more like, Mike stuck his thumb in Buddy's mouth more than the other way around. Now we know better than to get Jaxi riled up even if she's playing.

They now run around the house and chase each other. No "mean growling" is heard and I usually talk to them alot, if they are near me and say, she's only playing Buddy, be nice. He usually listens to me and forgets about playing and wants to sit in my lap.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2788774;
    Tsk Tsk Tsk, Miss Gracie... You know that Mona ended up with laryngitis when Joey was adopted and could only eep for a few weeks afterwards, so Miss Gracie you might be better just being silent and giving the little one a swat or a LOOK once in a while.
    She still hisses and I think is working up to the LOOK, but at least Gracie is standing her ground most of the time.

Gracie has her own "safe place" at the top of a cabinet in the basement. Since Mr. Tootles can't jump or climb up to it, he can't get at her. Mr. Tootles has a "safe place" in the 3rd drawer of my dresser. It's pulled out with a t-shirt tucked into the top drawer making a "tent" where he can "hide.

Well, Lexi has managed to figure out a way to get to both of their "safe places"! She's just a little bundle of mischief when she's awake. But just a bundle of snuggles when she's sleepy

I think Mr. Tootles was a puppy in another lifetime.

Is anyone watching the Westminster dog show? We only get the re-runs, but I love to see all the beautiful pooches! We have a special little Westie terrier named Frankie who is competing this year. I hope he does well.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I don't have cable, so I can't catch Westminster
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Me and the doggies plan on watching tonight. Hubby isn't home, so I don't have to listen to him complain about watching it.
    Bogie spends the entire time running up to the tv trying to "smell" the dogs. He is so disappointed, but yet he still watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2790197;
    I don't have cable, so I can't catch Westminster
    Aw, that's a shame. I love watching the dog show (starts in five minutes here). The only problem is that I end up falling in love with almost all the dogs and want to immediately run out and get one of each.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Henry and I watched the first night of Westminster. We were rooting for the adorable long haired red Dachshund in the first group. That dog reminded me of a beloved childhood dog named Wolfgang! My parents got Wolfgang shortly after they got married and he was their "first child". I was the second child and "The Wolfie" tolerated me but hated my brother who came along a few years after I did.

Sleeping Husband/Snoring JRT missed most of Westminster, but Henry and I had a blast. Looking forward to Tuesday night and the rest of the dog show! Enjoy!

Newf: - you might be able to catch some of the show on either the USA or Westminster Kennel Club site.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

We watched. I want a Harrier now. My daughter wants the Irish Wolfhound. Of course, it would sleep with me too and take up the WHOLE bed.

WAldo kept standing in front of the tv in a "pose" like the dogs on the table. Except he had his goofy grin and tongue hanging out. It was so funny as he kept doing it. We are now calling him Zoolander.

Rosie was pissed at the dog show. She sat in my lap with her ears back and GLARED at the tv and made these grunting noises. Bogie runs up to the tv trying to sniff the dogs and is so disappointed.

I'm telling you I don't think I could be a judge. And those dogs are WELL trained. Especially the males. When that judge grabs their "stuff" and they just stand there. Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2791115;
    We watched. I want a Harrier now. My daughter wants the Irish Wolfhound. Of course, it would sleep with me too and take up the WHOLE bed.
    Irish Wolfhound is one of the very few breeds that I consider to be large.
    I'm telling you I don't think I could be a judge.
    I'd be a horrible Newf judge--I love them all. I'd probably end up placing which ever Newf slobbered me first.
    And those dogs are WELL trained. Especially the males. When that judge grabs their "stuff" and they just stand there. Amazing!
    It helps if the judge doesn't have cold hands "Grabbing" isn't really an accurate depiction of the action. The judge is just verifying that the dog has two testicles. The dogs who are at Westminster are all champions, and most are shown two or three times every weekend. They know the drill
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Oh, I loved the Irish Wolfhound too, though I can't even begin to imagine owning one. The commentator said that it was the tallest breed in the show, which got me thinking - I thought the Great Dane was the tallest dog going. Or did he just mean that there were no Great Danes competing?

The breeds I've fallen in love with this year (so far) are the French bulldog and the Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen. What characters!
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread