+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1269Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

MRD

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2744219;
    Greta and Ella like different toys also. Lil' Bit, on the other hand, will steal anyone's toys, whether unattended or not.
    That sounds like here. Waldo takes anyone's toys even though they all have their own.

Speaking of Waldo. We finally got Christmas down, the dog beds are back where they belong. The little dogs have been happy as clams. Waldo is distressed and won't go near them except to sniff. He has wandered around like a lost puppy all day. I think he got used to the Christmas tree and is now missing it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Lopevian, I agree with everyone else here; give it time. You had Claire for I don't know, but I'm assuming, a long time. And you've only had Ginger a few days. It will be ok.
    I do agree it would probably be best to get Ginger her own stuff. Seeing Claire's things all the time probably doesn't help.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the support, this isn't the first time you've all touched me to tears. I had not anticipated the feelings that surfaced yesterday. Sadness, guilt, shame, betrayal and a complete lack of confidence that there was even a heart inside me for Ginger to call home. That day at the shelter, it did feel very much like my heart got a jump start, but it needs to run for awhile, to warm up, before I can put it in gear. It's feeling less cold by the hour. Ginger really likes the toys, especially the hacky sack balls, so they're hers now. She's not the one with the problem. But I'll get her some of her very own, that is a really good idea. Claire's all-time favorite toys are in the small, round tin can her ashes arrived in, about a week after she died (including her favorite hacky sack ball, she got one every Christmas). A nurse at the Vet's office asked if I wanted her ashes. I didn't know they would do that for you, and I'm so glad I said yes. Claire loved pipe cleaners, and I twisted different little shapes for her. A red heart, a cat, a square, a circle, two triangles intertwined (she really loved that one)...they're in the can, and there they'll stay. But multi-colored pipe cleaners are on the shopping list, and I'll be twisting up Ginger her very own. I'm even going to try and go dimensional with it!
    Thanks again from the bottom of my defrosting heart for all the encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by lopevian;2744886;
    Claire's all-time favorite toys are in the small, round tin can her ashes arrived in, about a week after she died (including her favorite hacky sack ball, she got one every Christmas). A nurse at the Vet's office asked if I wanted her ashes. I didn't know they would do that for you, and I'm so glad I said yes. Claire loved pipe cleaners, and I twisted different little shapes for her. A red heart, a cat, a square, a circle, two triangles intertwined (she really loved that one)...they're in the can, and there they'll stay.
    That's so sweet! We buried our cat with one of her favorite stuffed animals, a blanket my son gave her (it was his) when she was really ill, and her catfood dish he helped pick out.

sniff

Time does help. Getting new toys yet having a reminder or two to smile over (in a while that will come) is good. I only burst into tears every once in a while now.

Sorry about your beloved cat, Allie. Sounds like she had a very touching and beautiful send off. You're right, time does help. It was a couple of years before I could watch a cat food commercial without a little sad tug at my heart. But the tears do linger, don't they? Pets really have a way of burrowing so deep into your heart.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

I've never received the remains of any of the animals I've lost. Once they pass I consider the body an empty vessel. Instead of burying them in the ground or spreading their ashes on the wind I store the memories of them in a special place in my heart. And once in a while, with tears in my eyes and a smile on my lips, I relive those memories. In fact, here comes one now.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Oh, Uncle David... I bet it's a really good one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2745197;
    I've never received the remains of any of the animals I've lost. Once they pass I consider the body an empty vessel. Instead of burying them in the ground or spreading their ashes on the wind I store the memories of them in a special place in my heart. And once in a while, with tears in my eyes and a smile on my lips, I relive those memories. In fact, here comes one now.
    And with that pile of kitties in your avatar, your are making even more memories.
    Last edited by just1paul; 01-07-2008 at 08:55 PM.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2745197;
    We always buried our pets in the backyard under the oak trees. Sadly, our family no longer owns that house. So I am like you UD, I store the memories in my heart and I have the collars of all my beloved pets.

I do like reliving the memories.

My parents had a Golden Retriever that we used to think was the dumbest dog ever until we got Waldo. My mom had him cremated when he passed and we mixed his ashes later with that of my parents and scattered them in a river. We then tossed in flowers and dog biscuits in honor of my folks and Jay.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2745272;
    And with that pile of kitties in your avatar, your are making even more memories.
    It's constant Gabe.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

+ Reply to Thread