+ Reply to Thread
Page 81 of 1754 FirstFirst ... 317172737475767778798081828384858687888990911311815811081 ... LastLast
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by joeguy
    Give him time, the rescues I have had were all timid, new home and surroundings. Plus you don't know how he was treated before you got him. Joan, the new rescue we are holding, cried all the time and flinched everytime i waved my hands, now she doesn't move and even won't budge when it's time for me to go to bed, I have to literally pick her up and move her. the others didn't even make a sound till 3 or 4 days staying here. He'll be your pride and joy in a month. guarantee it.
    You're right, joeguy, he's growing increasingly accustomed to life in my crazy world and he's getting more and more comfortable.

I'll be posting more pictures of him soon (I've been wicked busy with the new job, watching Red Sox games into the wee hours of the morning) but in the meanwhile just know that YOU'RE RIGHT.

He's not as wimpy now as he was when I got him three weeks ago. He's already made lots of progress.

Pom, that's so sweet of you to keep the cat on weekends. He's a cutie. I think it's cool that they have the cats in the office. Wish I could keep a pet at work but being in the restaurant business that's not such a good idea.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    Wish I could keep a pet at work but being in the restaurant business that's not such a good idea.
    Phew, Unk, I'm glad to hear you say that!! I knew of a restaurant in downtown Denver that was shut down by the Denver Board of Health because the people at the restaurant kept cats there.

Of course, they kept their cats in the FREEZER (i.e., ready-to-serve), so that was a huge no-no!!

(The restaurant, ironically, was called "No-nos.")

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    ok, I am not a real cat lover, but..........Pom. that is one cool picture of a well contented cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pomeraniac
    Here's a panoramic view of "Smudge," who is my "weekend cat." He lives across the street from me in an office, five days per week, but he gets really depressed over the weekends when he's left alone, with nobody to keep him company but the office's other three cats. He's a wonderful people-cat, much more like a dog than he is a cat.

At first the office people thought they'd try to find him a permanent home but then we all realized that he'd be left alone while his new owner went to work, so he'd still be depressed. In fact he'd be even more depressed, 'cause he'd be left alone five days per week rather than two.

The solution we all came up with is that he lives in the office all week while the workers are there and then he comes to my house every Friday night. I pick him up on my walk home from my train station, bring him up to the apartment, and he hangs out here with my two dogs and me until very early on Monday mornings, when I return him on my way back to work.

He's a real sweet guy, very affectionate, and he gets along great with my dogs. He got along great with my av, too, when my av was around, and he's getting along great with "Tuxedo," my new Pom. He outweighs my new Pom BY 15 lb (!) so I think it's a very good thing that they get along!
    That is wonderful of you to take him home every weekend. Bet he's not gonna want to go back after a while.

He is so pretty...glad to hear they all get along.
    Hope to see more pics soon.

Ooh, I love other people's pets. Especially cats, since I'm about one degree away from becoming the stereotypical "Crazy Cat Lady". Here's a pic of my two kitties chilling out on the sofa. They look a little sleepy, but they tend to do that a lot

"There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

FORT Fogey
    Ooooh, geek, they are GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you I, too, think they're gorgeous. But then again, I'm a wee bit biased, being their Mommy and all.

Actually, their story is an interesting and sad one - but with a happy ending. They're sisters and turned 2 years old a few months ago. I got them from an animal shelter; before someone turned them in they used to live with approximately 30 other cats in a one bedroom apartment Their previous owner, an old lady diagnosed with Alzheimer, didn't have the money nor the energy to feed them, so they were in a very bad shape. When they first came home to me and my boyfriend they were terrified and very fidgety, but now they sleep in our bed every night. Actually, one of them is sitting on my lap as I am writing this. It just goes to show that tons of love and patience can make all the difference

Anyone else here who got their animals from an animal shelter? I'd just like to raise some awareness regarding the fact that there are plenty of adorable animals who are literally dying for a loving home. While these animals may not be as immediately personable and cute as animals raised under safe circumstances, the reward is so great once you gain their trust.

Here's another pic of one of my babies: little baby Stella

"There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Geek, your cats are gorgeous

I have a dog from shelter, she is a great girl, and I do not think I would get a dog from anywhere else anymore. We always had pure bred hunting dogs at my parents place, but my first own dog was a mutt, and he was the most lovable dog I have come to know. My husband even recently said that he does not think he can ever love a dog like he loved Alex (the mutt). Every dog we meet gets now compared to Alex, and although we love each of them in their own way, Alex has his own special place in our hearts. It is a bit in his honor (as a mutt) that I like to get pets from shelter, or at least rescue them. I have to try to scan one of his pictures some day, I think he was (of course) the most beautiful dog to ever walk on earth (My extremely subjective view )
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Great pics of your cats, Geek!

I came downstairs this morning to find mine all snuggled up:

[IMG]images/img/BootsandChloe.bed.JPG[/IMG]

[IMG]images/img/boots.chloe.bed.1.JPG[/IMG]
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

+ Reply to Thread