+ Reply to Thread
Page 78 of 1752 FirstFirst ... 286869707172737475767778798081828384858687881281785781078 ... LastLast
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUMPOT
    I need help!! We now have a 6 month old Basset Hound. He is bad!!! We don't know what to do. He chews up everything, including the air conditioner and pool pump wiring! We can't figure out how he did that with out killing himself. I want to love him, but it is really hard. He is like a juvenile delinquent. Help me, please! We are on the last leg..........
    Scrumpot, he's a puppy and almost all puppies are destructive. the best advice i can give to you is to get a kennel for him and crate train him. it will help him learn to behave (as well as help SO MUCH in housetraining him) and will stop the destruction b/c he will only be out of the kennel when you guys are home and watching him. if he destroys things when you are home, then you need to get a collar and leash for him and keep him nearby you at all times.

trust me that he'll get better... he is just young, teething and lacks discipline. the kennel will help not only him, but will help you to love him. it is definitely difficult to feel affection for a destructive pet. you have to guide him and help him stay calm and do things right.... if you don't, you could end up with a dog that is destructive for a couple of years... b/c most stay in some semblance of puppydom for the first couple of years.

my bella is finally old enough (she'll be 2 in december) that we leave her out of her kennel all the time. we still have the kennel up for her, but we leave the door open. she sleeps in there at night frequently and when she's really tired during the days. it's her safe haven. for me, it was a godsend after she had eaten through the wood on chairs and kitchen cabinets and through several dsl and computer wires.

Lucy, sometimes cats just don't like to share their bathroom.

Is the litterbox covered or in a semi-secluded area? They also sometimes don't like to "go" where everyone can see them.

Lucy, if moving the box, changing the litter, or getting a new box doesn't work, please tell your mom to take her new kitty to the vet. The kitten could have a urinary tract infection - which wouldn't be surprising if he/she came from a crowded shelter - and UTIs can cause incontinence in cats. It might not be refusal to use the box, but simply not being able to make it to the box in time.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Thanks, everyone. AJane, my sister and I are pushing mom to take the new cat to the vet anyway. You're right, you never know what she might have picked up from all those other cats.
    I wouldn't have thought she'd have issues with privacy, but maybe she does. I'll pass along the ideas of covering the box, or getting her her own.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by sher
    .....after she had eaten through the wood on chairs and kitchen cabinets and through several dsl and computer wires.
    I'm sorry Sher, but I just got a chuckle out of this. Isn't it amazing what we put up with from our pets? "Bella looks like such a big ol' sweetie, I just can't picture her doing that not that wittle cutie pie" said in my best Trista baby talk voice.

I have a question I hope someone can answer. We got a dog a couple of years ago who I love dearly. I had always been a cat person and when I was married my husband had a large short-haired dog. My current dog is small, but long-haired (Japanese Chin) and there is dog hair EVERYWHERE! The carpets won't vacuum up, I had to get a leather couch and recliner, my bedding has to be washed constantly. Do I need to brush him more? Is there a certain kind of brush that gets the loose hair more effectively? For such a small dog, I can't believe how much of the house is covered in dog hair! Help!

Too cold to run away! Burntcrow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter
    I have a question I hope someone can answer. We got a dog a couple of years ago who I love dearly. I had always been a cat person and when I was married my husband had a large short-haired dog. My current dog is small, but long-haired (Japanese Chin) and there is dog hair EVERYWHERE! The carpets won't vacuum up, I had to get a leather couch and recliner, my bedding has to be washed constantly. Do I need to brush him more? Is there a certain kind of brush that gets the loose hair more effectively? For such a small dog, I can't believe how much of the house is covered in dog hair! Help!
    hmmm..my sister brushes her dog 100 times every night, but her dog is just a pug. I am sure someone else will come along with more experience on the matter though. Good Luck.

FORT Fogey

Tuxedo

Here's a not-very-good photo of my new dog Tuxedo, which I just snapped with my cell phone camera.

It's not the best photo but at least it's something.

He's settling in nicely and I'll post more details later.

Thanks

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    pom, he is a cute little guy, all dressed up and nowhere to go .

FORT Fogey
    He's so timid and fragile, compared to my av, who was burly and brave.

Tuxedo's wimpalicious!!!

+ Reply to Thread