+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2696282;
    Rosie and I took a nap today. When its just her and I, she snuggles up in the small of my back and we are both cozy and warm and comfy. I love feeling her scooched up back there.
    Greta only cuddles with me when I nap on the couch. On the other hand, Ella sleeps with me every night we're alone. She sleeps curled up in the hollow of my knees or my stomach hollow. It's comforting to feel her curled up there when I turn over at night.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Poor Bullwinkle.
    adn.com | moose : Moose is beginning to look a lot like Christmas
    Moose is beginning to look a lot like Christmas
    By JULIA O'MALLEY
    jomalley@adn.com

What do you call a bull moose tangled in Christmas lights and drunk on fermented crab apples, standing glassy-eyed and dizzy in the front yard of a downtown bar?

But seriously, the juiced moose had certainly seen better days than Tuesday, when he became a bewildered tourist attraction, parked in the courtyard of Bernie's Bungalow Lounge as shoppers clicked by with their Nordstrom bags.

"He just has this goofy look on his face," said Rick Sinnott, a Fish and Game biologist who came to check on him and guessed he'd probably eaten too many crab apples from an old tree in Bernie's yard.

"He's either drunk or in gastric distress."

Even before his crab-apple bender, the downtown moose was something of a seasonal celebrity, making the television news after he spent the weekend clumping along the avenues with his big rack, thrilling the holiday shopping throngs.

But Tuesday was a banner day for moose hijinks. It started when he stopped to nibble the trees in Town Square Park, which had recently been strung with expensive LED Christmas lights. They snagged in his antlers, and he seemed roped to a tree for a while, generating numerous calls to Sinnott's office from passers-by. After some effort, the moose freed himself, but took the light string with him, dragging it through traffic.

Sinnott sees snagged moose all the time -- Christmas lights, hammocks, swing sets. Usually the animal will pull itself free, though occasionally, for bad snarls, it will have to be drugged and untangled by biologists. Those tangled moose get tagged.

Buzzwinkle has one such tag, which means he's a repeat offender.

After Town Square Park, the moose squeezed into the courtyard at Bernie's, where he settled in a pile of crab apples and eventually assumed a disoriented stance, staring into space, snorting steam. What was on his moose mind? Was he dreaming of chewing spring buds or sleeping in the tall summer grass? Was he filled with crab-appletini regret? Hard to say.

"He's just been in the same spot since I got here," said Gina Senior, a bartender at Bernie's. "He's not really doing much except standing there."

You can't do much for a drunk moose except wait for him to sober up, Sinnott said. And he's in a pretty good place -- among Bernie's fountains and yard sculptures, behind a hedge, safe from passing traffic.

Even Sinnott couldn't resist the pull of a bad moose one-liner.

"These country moose can't always hold their liquor," he said.

At least he isn't a mean drunk.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2696407;
    At least he isn't a mean drunk.
    If he ever sees how ridiculous he looks in that picture he will be.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2696301;
    Greta only cuddles with me when I nap on the couch. On the other hand, Ella sleeps with me every night we're alone. She sleeps curled up in the hollow of my knees or my stomach hollow. It's comforting to feel her curled up there when I turn over at night.
    Bogie got into mud last night and my husband had to give him a bath, so when bedtime came, Bogie snuggled up against MY legs and stayed far away from my husband. Hubby said: if this is what it takes to get him from plastering to my side, I'll bathe him every night. He normally has Rosie plastered against one side and Bogie on the other and he says they are too hot. He doesn't mind Rosie, but wishes Bogie would come back to my side where he used to sleep. But since Waldo came along, I'm being punished and Bogie usully no longer sleeps next to me.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Whiskers climbs on top of me as soon as I sit down. She's ALWAYS on me. She sleeps either on my chest (if I'm sleeping on my back) or curled up against me (if I'm sleeping on my side). However, lately, she's abandoned me, and she's been sleeping on my son. So what's up with that!!! My son just gets a goofy grin on his face when I call her a traitor. Obviously, I've done something to offend her. But I'll be darned if I know what that is.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2697308;
    Whiskers climbs on top of me as soon as I sit down. She's ALWAYS on me. She sleeps either on my chest (if I'm sleeping on my back) or curled up against me (if I'm sleeping on my side). However, lately, she's abandoned me, and she's been sleeping on my son. So what's up with that!!! My son just gets a goofy grin on his face when I call her a traitor. Obviously, I've done something to offend her. But I'll be darned if I know what that is.
    Bogie is always in my lap if I'm watchig tv. But he's abandoned me in the bed at night.

Isn't it funny how they get?

Well, truthfully, I was kind of glad she wasn't on me last night while I was watching TV. My husband started a fire (in the fireplace, of course), and it was HOT!!! Having Whiskers on top of me would have put me over the edge!

I'm sure if I bribe her with treats, she'll come around!

MRD

OMG! I wished I had a video camera. Waldo just crashed and burned in the most spectacular way.

He has been loving the cold weather and he just runs and runs and kicks up his heels. He's taking to circling the house like its a NASCAR track and once he makes the 3rd turn, he's usually going at full speed back into the back yard.
    Well just a minute ago, he did that and lost his footing on the hill and ended up rolling down the hill and slid into the side of the neighbors house (their brick wall) under her dining room window. I hope she wasn't in there at the time (this is the good neighbor). He got up, shook and took off running at full speed again, so obviously he wasn't hurt.

Am I a mean animal mom to have laughed my butt off at this?

Am I a mean animal mom to have laughed my butt off at this?
    :nono Yes. Yes you are.
    at the crash-and-burn
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread