+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1138Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Lil Bit, my heart goes out to you and your family. There is no "just" when it comes to love.

Great Pictures!

QueenB: I hope that Boo's problem is solved soon.

MRD: I love Rosie's outfit! Our sweet Henry loves the sweaters and coats too.

We had friends in town just before Thanksgiving. They don't have pets but they do have two children (ages 2 and 6). We sent Simon off to the vet but Henry was here with us. The older child LOVED Henry and played with him for the entire time that they were here. Henry is NOT used to that and he slept for two days after they left. The younger child was interested in Henry until he stood up on his back legs and licked her face. After that, she shrieked every time she saw him and Henry didn't care for the shrieking so he waddled off in the opposite direction. All in all, it worked out pretty well!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Originally Posted by Lil Bit
    This morning my husband and I had to take our beloved Boston Terrier, Sam to the vet and have him put to sleep. It was one of the hardest things that I have ever had to do and I've been crying all morning. He was 11 years old and had been going down hill rapidly recently. He had cataracts on his eyes and his hearing was getting bad. He had arthritis pretty bad and lately I noticed that he often had trouble swallowing. This morning he had a seizure and was obviously in a lot of pain. We called the vet and he said that he'd meet us at his office. Sam had another seizure on the way and wasn't able to stand and was having trouble breathing when we got to the vet. We decided the best thing to do was to stop his pain.

He was a part of our family for the last 11 years and we will miss him so much. I know that there are people who say that they are "just dogs", but any creature that can bring that much joy into someones else's life can never be considered "just" anything.

Rest in Peace Sammy. I love you.
    Lil Bit ... I'm so sorry Sammy has moved on to Rainbow Bridge.
    Those people who say they are "just dogs" are pitiable because they are just missing something. We are lucky because we know.

HE WAS JUST MY DOG
    ( Author Unknown }

He was my other eyes that could see above the clouds;
    my other ears that heard above the winds.
    He was the part of me that could reach out into the sea.

He told me a thousand times over that I was his reason for being;
    by the way he rested against my leg;
    by the way he wagged his tail at my smallest smile;
    by the way he showed his hurt when I left without taking him along
    (I think it made him sick with worry because he was not along to care for me).

When I was wrong, he was delighted to forgive.
    When I was angry, he clowned to make me smile.
    When I was happy, he was joy unbounded.
    When I was a fool, he ignored it.
    When I succeeded, he bragged.
    Without him, I am only another person.
    With him, I was all powerful.

He was loyalty itself.
    He taught me the meaning of devotion.
    With him, I knew a secret comfort and a private peace.
    He brought me understanding where before I was ignorant.
    His head on my knee could heal my human hurts.
    His kisses on my tears washed away my bad feelings.
    His presence by my side was protection against my fears of dark and unknown things.
    He promised to wait for me...whenever...wherever...in case I need him.

And I expect I will---as I always have... He was just my dog.

.............................. ......

Hugs and prayers !
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Thanks to all of you for your kind thoughts and prayers. It really does help. My son's dog is doing her part to ease my grief. My son is staying with us until he gets back on his feet financially and he has a 2 year old Boxer Pit Bull mix named Trinity. She has always liked me but she's never been my dog, if you know what I mean. Well, since yesterday morning that dog has not left my side. She follows me around and lays her head in my lap when I sit, looking at me with the most soulful eyes I've ever seen. She knows I'm hurting and is trying in the only way she can to make it better. I'm sure she's missing Sam too. They spent a lot of time together, although Sam used to get pretty annoyed with her boisterous puppy ways.

Thanks again for all your support. I'm not one to post very often, but it's always the first place I think of to come to when I need a shoulder. You guys really are a great bunch of people!
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;2691636;
    Thanks to all of you for your kind thoughts and prayers. It really does help. My son's dog is doing her part to ease my grief. My son is staying with us until he gets back on his feet financially and he has a 2 year old Boxer Pit Bull mix named Trinity. She has always liked me but she's never been my dog, if you know what I mean. Well, since yesterday morning that dog has not left my side. She follows me around and lays her head in my lap when I sit, looking at me with the most soulful eyes I've ever seen. She knows I'm hurting and is trying in the only way she can to make it better. I'm sure she's missing Sam too. They spent a lot of time together, although Sam used to get pretty annoyed with her boisterous puppy ways.

Thanks again for all your support. I'm not one to post very often, but it's always the first place I think of to come to when I need a shoulder. You guys really are a great bunch of people!
    I'm glad you are finding comfort with Trinity. It never ceases to amaze me how our animals can pick up on our emotions. That's why they are not "just" dogs or cats. They are often more perceptive and comforting than humans. In my opinion anyway. Continued prayers for you and your family at this time.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My eyes are so full of tears that it is hard to even see this page.

doxie, thanks for the laugh with the story about Henry and the kids.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

I wish I was a dog.

It's nasty here. Rainy, foggy, misty, cold, just nasty. I have done laundry, folded clothes, washed dishes (dishwasher still broken), colored my hair, cleaned up Christmas decoration boxes, done some other stuff. Because its so gloomy and wet and dark, the 3 dogs are all iin bed and have been there as I've done all this work.
    If I were a dog, I'd be able to lay around in bed all day too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2691807;
    I wish I was a dog.

It's nasty here. Rainy, foggy, misty, cold, just nasty. I have done laundry, folded clothes, washed dishes (dishwasher still broken), colored my hair, cleaned up Christmas decoration boxes, done some other stuff. Because its so gloomy and wet and dark, the 3 dogs are all iin bed and have been there as I've done all this work.
    If I were a dog, I'd be able to lay around in bed all day too.
    Add me to the mix also. I was doing stuff yesterday morning and Joey ate his breakfast then disappeared to one of his snoozing places. However, the minute I can back with fresh WARM laundry (which included the towels that go in his carrier, and the blankets on the tables)he checked out the carrier and the tables then promptly jumped on the bed where I dumped all the other laundry and buried himself for a long winter nap. After that cooled off he rotated between the carrier and the table.... What a life!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

echo: That is a beautiful poem. Thank you for posting it.

lil bit: I am so glad that Trinity is there to help you cope. He sounds like a real sweetie

myrosiedog: I think Mr. Tootles thinks he's a dog sometimes.

gabriel: Ah yes, warm stuff from the dryer. Wonderful soft, warm stuff to snuggle in... I'm glad that Joey enjoys your efforts to make him so comfortable!

I don't wish I was a cat. I am a kitty!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Lucky, our dear companion of 14 years, passed away this morning. Her kidneys had begun to fail in the past few months, and she went from bad to worse last night. Her suffering ended this morning.

Our hearts are breaking, but we're thankful for every second we've had with Lucky since we found her, battered but not broken, on that cold and dark country road so many years ago. She's been a joy and a seemingly endless source of purring and love.

(The little angel went from climbing up the stairs Saturday morning and sleeping with us on our bed to having several seizures Sunday evening and being unable to stand or even lift her head much. Most of that long evening we don't even know if she seeing us. The vet was gentle and we were there till the end.

She is buried in our backyard underneath a small maple tree and next to the water fountain she loved to watch so much.)

+ Reply to Thread