+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1266Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Well I totally agree. First off I am one of those who believe that cats do not NEED to go outside. The window is a giant TV. But I do not understand those who put the cats out for days/hours on end to roam freely. Even my parents who I have said Max does NOT need to go out, put him on a leash keeping him within the confines of the yard, and he is probably not outside for more than an hour or two at a time.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2685039;
    MRD - I know exactly what you mean. I have two of the cutest little kitties known to man, but they live IN my house. I also can't understand why people want to have pets but then leave them outside all the time. That's not having a pet - that's having wildlife.

We also have a cat in the neighborhood (looks exactly like my Whiskers, and I do a double-take every time I see it) that roams everywhere except in it's owner's house. The front of my house smells like cat pee. I understand cats have to go to the bathroom also, but not right by my front door! We put down moth balls, which keeps the cat away, but then my house smells like moth balls! Guess the moth ball smell is better than the cat pee smell!

I do know that there is a particular bush (can't remember the name of it) that smells like strong cat urine. Investigate whether you have those bushes outside your door. When I first moved into my house, people would come to visit and ask if I had a big tom cat urinating in my bushes...visitors could smell it walking up to the house! It was very offensive. Once I had the bushes removed, the smell went with it. Haven't had a problem since I got rid of those gross bushes. I have 3 indoor kitties, and the area I live in doesn't have any roaming cats, which is good, but I find strange. No roaming pets at all, actually. Years ago, I would see an occasional kitty at the very back of my back yard, passing through (definitely on a mission), but even that was infrequent.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2685045;
    Well I totally agree. First off I am one of those who believe that cats do not NEED to go outside. The window is a giant TV. But I do not understand those who put the cats out for days/hours on end to roam freely. Even my parents who I have said Max does NOT need to go out, put him on a leash keeping him within the confines of the yard, and he is probably not outside for more than an hour or two at a time.
    I'm with you on this, Gabriel. I live near the banks of a river plus a busy road. Too many wild animals and fast cars to let them out. Actually my boys were afraid of the great outdoors. My daughter took the big one out on the porch without my knowing. I turned around to the window and he was trying to get in that way. Not an outdoors cat at all.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The offensive bush is called a boxwood bush!

"Boxwood is a well-mannered plant that has tightly compact growth. Its leaves are rather small and, in a way, dignified. The plant also does well as a dividing shrub to separate one part of the garden from another.

Those who live in the southern states know how handsome a boxwood hedge can become over the years. But, one negative about boxwood is its odor. Many equate it with the smell of an alley cat."
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

We do have boxwood, but its on the other side of the house from where the cats hang out. And funny, but I've never smelled it. I even brought it in the house last year at Christmas in a table decoration and didn't smell it. Hmm, will have to go investigate now. But I've seen the little buggers in action, so I know they are using my yard as their litter box.
    I'm in enough of a grumpy mood today that I may have to be the obnoxious neighbor that goes over and tells her to keep her cats to herself.

Our neighborhood is getting inundated with cats lately. They are everywhere.
    And it drives the dogs beserk.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Unk: I'm so sorry. I've known Laurel as a girls name for many years. Hard to break the habit! My sincere apologies to your BOY Laurel Hardy is looking very hardy there in his photo!

Newf: What a great photo! Can you fit all three of your kitties in your arms? That would make a great Xmas card photo!

Allie: I'm so very sorry to hear about your Lucky. I hope that she improves or is at least comfortable.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Sorry, I was too late to edit and add this.

Our local SPCA just had another run of feline distemper run through their shelter. Luckily, it did not spread as fast as the other year. But they are in great need of bowls, blankets, anything as anything touched by the disease has to be burned. I have some extra kitty food from my neighbor, blankets and towels I will take over once they open for the public again.

Attachment 22632Attachment 22633

I was checking their site and I saw a beautiful dog up for adoption. Normally, I don't look for dogs, but this one has stolen my heart. His name is Barclay and he is a white Great Pyranees! I asked the kitts if I could adopt him and they said a very specific and loud NOT on your life!

I told my sweetie about him but he isn't always home to care for such a big dog.

I hope that Barclay finds a really nice family to love him very soon
    Last edited by misskitty; 05-12-2008 at 05:22 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Has anyone seen the ASPCA television ad with Sarah McLachlan singing her song Angel? I cry like a baby every time I see that ad.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Boxwood bush - Nope. Don't have any of them. It kind of comes and goes. Sometimes it doesn't smell at all (I guess the cat goes someplace else), and sometimes it really smells bad. Damp, rainy days are the worst. As long as we can keep buying moth balls, it's all good!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2685675;
    Boxwood bush - Nope. Don't have any of them. It kind of comes and goes. Sometimes it doesn't smell at all (I guess the cat goes someplace else), and sometimes it really smells bad. Damp, rainy days are the worst. As long as we can keep buying moth balls, it's all good!
    I'm really afraid Waldo would try to eat the mothballs. Seriously. He's like a small child that must put everything in his mouth.

Barclay is magnificiant. I'd love to have him. Thank goodness I live too far away. We really don't need 4 dogs. But he's gorgeous.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread