+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1266Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

MRD

Re: For animal lovers

Some good looking kitties there fellows.

No, I'm not the queen and Waldo usually doesn't wake me up. Rosie on the other hand likes to sleep late. She normally gets up about an hour or more after I do. But not this morning thanks to Big, Dumb and Happy who wanted to play.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I guess Hardy had to have equal time.

We brought our sick cat, Lucky, back from the vet a couple of days ago.

The IV fluids initially made a big difference in Lucky's weight. She went from 10 lbs, 12 oz initially, to 11 lbs, 11 oz the day we picked her up. She was very dehydrated, and even though she was on IV fluids, she was still constantly trying to drink water.

They cultured her urine and were able to grow bacteria, so she needs antibiotics.

They redid the critical blood work.

The blood urea nitrogen level was down from 83 to 72. Down, but well above the normal maximum of 34,
    The creatanine level was down from 5.2 to 4.6. Down, but well above the normal maximum of 2 to 2.4.

Those numbers did not improve as much as the vet had hoped (she improved from Stage 4 - the worst - to Stage 3 to 3.5), which leads her to suspect that Lucky will not be one of the kitties that can be a long-term survivor with kidney failure. She may be one of the more rapidly progressing cases. (meaning months rather than years, though its always hard to say).

BUT she hesitates to state it definitevely because the urinary tract infection can cause a lot of strain on the kidneys. Resolving the infection might bring the numbers down some more and bode better for her in the long term. Also, there is medication that can help reduce the amount of protein in the (urine? i think) and help extend and ease life. She may suggest that, depending on what happens with the antibiotics.

This brings us to maintenance issue. She said that cats like Lucky cannot hydrate themselves through drinking and will need supplemental fluids at least every week; ideally, ever 2-3 days, for the rest of their lives. They can do the rehydration (usually weekly) at the office for $16 a week for one visit. Or, they can show us how to do it and we can do it ourselves (ideally, more often than once a week) if we feel we are comfortable doing it.

Also, it would be ideal for us to switch her to a special prescription diet. Wet food is critical, as it has a lot of water in it.

As I said, it has been a few days and I have yet to see Lucky eat anything. Food just doesn't taste good to her. We are taking her to the Vet on Friday for the first round of rehydration. We are going to see if we can do it ourselves after this.

Also, we just have to get used to the fact that she WILL continue to have inappropriate urination. So we keep our bedroom doors shut.

Now this is a cat who we found more than 13 years ago on the side of the road with two broken legs, a cracked hip, a blown-out hawk and bone infection had set in because she had been out in 30 degree weather for a couple of days.

She fights to survive, so as long as she is not suffering, we are going to help her fight.

Everyone falls in love with this purring machine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Oh, Allie...........I am so sorry about sweet Lucky. I can imagine the stress you are feeling; I (and many others, here) have had our share of worry over our babies. After seeing how she came to you, I understand her name. My prayers are with your family.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Allie I feel your pain. I had to give Tigger IV's towards the end and surprisingly it was not that difficult. I know how hard it can be to see them hurting. Tigger was 19 and a great friend. I'll keep you Lucky in my thoughts and prayers.

TIGGER

Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted on her.

I've tempted her with a bit of her favorite foods (with OK from Vet for small amounts) -- shredded cheese and cottage cheese.

No luck

Allie - My heart breaks for you. I know the pain of our little ones suffering.
    My Mona, didn't need IVs but I have heard what unklescott posted, that it is relatively easy. Mona was 17 when she went to the Rainbow Bridge in January. Remember you have to be the judge about quality of life. Is your little one living the life they want? Does she do the things she wants, can she do them easily? Give her a day or two, see if she begins eating. Allie - you keep us posted.

Mona 1990-2007
    Last edited by just1paul; 11-20-2007 at 05:41 PM.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

On the lighter side: I bought a new bag of Whiskas Salmon temptations for Joey - he gets a few a day. I usually put them out in a little pile, but thought I would be a smarta** today. I opened the bag- set it down in front of him and he sniffed it, stuck his nose in it, the bag fell over 1 came out, he ate that ONE. He then sat there looking at me like "What do you think I am, a dog?"
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Allie, out thoughts are with you.

I adopted an old cat abandoned in my neighborhood many years ago who went into renal failure when he was about 19 years old. I didn't want to take him to a vet's office so I called a vet that did house-calls. Poor Pokey was so out of it he wouldn't (couldn't) eat or drink. I feared it was the end.

Turns out the vet had a solution that got Pokey back on the road to recovery. Damned if that cat didn't live another two years.

The solution was to take baby food, liver, lamb, etc, and, with your finger, put some into the hollow of the cat's palate. Works like a charm. It introduces much needed water and nutrition at the same time. Might work for Lucky.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

D.Bo graduated on Sunday from Beginning Training. Isn't he cute?

+ Reply to Thread