+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

MRD

Re: For animal lovers

I appartanly have come down with a major case of smart A** disease today.

I just told hubby about Waldo ripping the cardboard off the box right behind me and he asked: "did you get on to him"

Me: "No, I patted him on the head and told him what a good boy he was and then I ripped off another piece for him as a treat because I just dearly love picking up 60,000 miniscule pieces of wet, chewed cardboard off the carpet"

He's now sulking in front of the tv with Waldo sitting next to him. I'd say neither one is on my good list at presnt.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

ewww wet cardboard almost as much fun as picking up what you think is a piece of tootsie roll and it turns out to be a dingleberry that dropped.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2665531;
    ewww wet cardboard almost as much fun as picking up what you think is a piece of tootsie roll and it turns out to be a dingleberry that dropped.
    EWWWW! You win!

My husband used to torment my daughter when she was younger by calling her favorite Nickelodeon show "The Wild Dingleberries".

I'd never heard that phrase until I met him. I led a sheltered life.

Well maybe Waldo is upset that I packed up the books that he wanted to read and he's trying to unpack them for me.

You packed up "It's a Dogs Life"? for shame

[QUOTE=gabriel;2665403;]
    doxie -
    thats a nice tip, but since Joey uses me as a bedwarmer, Don't think I'll need it soon.. By the way - Is there rice all over yet?

Not yet! Because we are out of rice and it's not really cold enough here tonight. I am going to try that though!

MRD: Henry is like a heat-seeking missle when it comes to our electric blanket. He goes completely under all of the covers and stretches out diagonally (and he's VERY long when he is all stretched out!). He has to be pried out in the morning and, as soon as he has gone out and had his morning snack, he makes a beeline back to that bed. Simon has always slept in his crate, so that's why I thought the rice/sock idea was a good one for him.

PGM: Great picture of D.Bo!

I had to laugh about the dogs knowing certain words and knowing how to spell. Before Simon went deaf, he would go nuts if he heard "ride" so we started saying "journey" instead. Henry understands a lot of words, but he only responds to the ones that are food related (hungry, cookie, treat, cheese... etc).
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD there might be a reason for Waldo's appetite. From The Tennessean.
    Dogs eat the darnedest things, UT finds
    Veterinary college has seen it all, from bras to fish hooks

By DARREN DUNLAP
    The Knoxville News Sentinel

KNOXVILLE — When Melissa Kennedy's dog, Bubba, ate a section of the kitchen floor, she had to take him to the nearest emergency veterinary clinic.

Bubba, a mixed-breed chow, hadn't simply chewed up the linoleum floor. He had eaten and swallowed sections of it.

Kennedy, also a veterinarian and faculty member at the University of Tennessee's College of Veterinary Medicine, was relieved when the linoleum was "fished out" using an endoscope rather than surgery.

While she was at the pet ER, she got a reason for his strange choice of snack. Staff discovered he had chronic gastritis caused by helicobacter, which can result in dogs' eating strange or nonfood items. Veterinarians call this condition pica.

Sometimes dogs eat strange things because of nutritional deficiencies.

Sometimes they have liver disease.

And sometimes, veterinarians will tell you, dogs eat the darnedest things, and it's not always clear why.

"Sometimes it can be quirk," said Kennedy. "Sometimes it's an odor."

For a broad sampling of the objects that dogs eat (and survive), you need look only as far as the UT College of Veterinary Medicine and its adjoining teaching hospital.

An e-mail request for a roll call of these objects and corresponding stories elicited a number of responses in less than 24 hours.

No one reported their dogs had died from consuming the odd objects devoured and (sometimes) recovered.

Underwear was a popular entry.

One woman lost a "yellow smiley face" bra to her pooch.

Another woman reported losing several items, including pantyhose and 13 pairs of underwear. The dog also ate rope and rocks, but only the underwear had to be surgically removed.

Thong eaten by boxer

Veterinarians once discovered a Victoria's Secret thong in the belly of a boxer. It was gray when they found it, but they thought it might have been white at one time.

Jewelry made the list as well.

A woman lost a diamond pendant necklace to a cocker spaniel puppy. The family waited, and, two days later, retrieved it when the puppy passed the pendant, a gift from a boyfriend.

Some owners have lost paychecks to their hounds.

"My parents have a Lab mix who has eaten two paychecks. Both times there was not a scrap of the paycheck left. Try explaining that to an employer," replied one person at the veterinary hospital.

Dogs like hemp twine (a 50-foot section of it, in one canine's case) and ribbon for presents.

"My Zoie has an affinity for curling ribbon," one faculty member responded. "It seems she can always find it (especially at the holidays), and it takes about two days to
    pass."

UT library books, squeakers from dog toys, exposed wiring from a trailer, six tube socks (at once), rubber bands, door glass, napkins, a peppermint plant, and toys.

Dogs devoured things that seemed like food, staff and faculty reported.

A 7-pound Chihuahua ate 125 Super Complex-B tablets. Another dog ate a large jar of Vaseline. Then there was the pooch who gobbled two 5-pound bags of Dum Dums and spicy jerky.

Karen Tobias, a surgeon at UT's veterinary hospital, said the staff sees a lot of dogs that have swallowed fish hooks.

Her advice to owners: Don't pull on the line because it'll set the hook.

Endoscope is handy

Using an endoscope — a long, flexible tube that can be sent down a digestive tract — veterinarians can view an object such as a hook and retrieve it.

They get a lot of retriever-type dogs that carry things around and swallow them, she said. But one of the cases that stuck with her was that of a Great Dane puppy, barely a year old.

"The owner noticed not only that some of his toys were missing, but that it was starting to have some problems vomiting," she said.

It wasn't clear from endoscopy what was in the dog's stomach, either. But when Tobias went in surgically to remove it, two plastic toys popped out, each about the size of a fist. They were plastic birds, and she named them "Hekyll and Jekyll."

Veterinarians try to get dogs to vomit or pass objects when possible.

For one thing, surgery can be expensive. Depending on the case, X-rays, blood work,
    anesthesia, surgery and aftercare can run about $1,300 to $1,400.

MRD

Wow, that's amazing. We have a friend who's dog chews her underwear, she finds it in the backyard.
    Thanks for posting that Unk.

I have heard of Pica, but in humans, especially in pregnancy.

Waldo tends to just chew. I find the chewed up stuff stewn over the floor. I'm sure that some of it gets swallowed, but mostly just chewed and left for me to pick up. And paper and cardboard seem to be his favorite things to chew.
    He just had surgery and they did blood work and everything came back ok. I have a copy of the blood work and his liver function is fine. I don't know about the rest of it.

Bogie ate a plastic easter egg one time. He ate a lot of the chocolate out of the Easter basket. We called the vet who told us to take him outside and give him hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting. When he threw up, the egg came out.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Did your dog voluntarily drink the hydrogen peroxide? How did you give it to him? I remember having to rinse and gargle with it, and that was not easy to do.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2667175;
    Did your dog voluntarily drink the hydrogen peroxide? How did you give it to him? I remember having to rinse and gargle with it, and that was not easy to do.
    They told the dog it was TOILET WATER....

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2667175;
    The vet had previously given us a large syringe (minus needle) for some other medication, so we used that and just basically shot it down his throat.
    It works INSTANTLY. So beware. Adminster and GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!!!

Gabriel, Bogie's too short too know about drinking out of the toilet (thank goodness), Waldo on the other hand is big enough, but he's (fortunately) not interested. Bogie misses out on a lot because he's vertically challenged. Waldo's just challenged, but we still love him. And Rosie is too much of a lady for toilet water (that kind anyway. ) Besides, she's too picky.

My daughter now has a small pet mouse. She's really cute and Rosie sits on the floor in front of the cage (which is up on a table) and stares at it like it's her own private television. Her concentration is unmatched in watching the mouse. And you can almost hear what she's thinking: "if I were only tall enough, there'd be mouse for dinner".

+ Reply to Thread