+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1258Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

FORT Newbie

Re: For animal lovers

Anyone a fan of cuteoverload? Not sure if anyone else mentioned it (else I would have had to look through all 759 pages!), but I love that site

Quote Originally Posted by dwtsfanaticism;2658407;
    Anyone a fan of cuteoverload? Not sure if anyone else mentioned it (else I would have had to look through all 759 pages!), but I love that site
    Yes, cuteoverload is great. There are many great animal sites including Thedailykitten, kittenwars, stuffonmycat, stuffonmymutt and others!

UncleDavid: Gracie and Mr. Tootles box every day at the tree in the front window. I call it a game of "batt-batt"! They batt each other with their paws (box) until one gives up the top seat.

I think that Lil'Bit deserves to be your Av....Attachment 22554

This is a really silly site. ..:: vikingKittens.com - We are your overloards! ::... Watch only if you like listening to Led Zepplin. Try to watch until they almost land the ship!
    Last edited by misskitty; 05-12-2008 at 05:22 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2658537;
    Yes, cuteoverload is great. There are many great animal sites including Thedailykitten, kittenwars, stuffonmycat, stuffonmymutt and others!
    My current favourite is icanhascheezburger.com. I'm not sure why the combo of cat picture/silly caption breaks my bouts of depression, but they do.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

misskitty: You know that an avatar without Greta can only last as long as Lois Lane doesn't see it.

Rattus: I visited that site. I was doubled over with laughter at the one about the squirrels and nuts.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Fascinating story:

Link Here

Dolphins save surfer from becoming shark’s bait
    A pod of bottlenose dolphins helped protect the severely injured boarder

By Mike Celizic
    TODAYShow.com contributor
    updated 8:57 a.m. CT, Thurs., Nov. 8, 2007

Surfer Todd Endris needed a miracle. The shark — a monster great white that came out of nowhere — had hit him three times, peeling the skin off his back and mauling his right leg to the bone.

That’s when a pod of bottlenose dolphins intervened, forming a protective ring around Endris, allowing him to get to shore, where quick first aid provided by a friend saved his life.

“Truly a miracle,” Endris told TODAY’s Natalie Morales on Thursday.

The attack occurred on Tuesday, Aug. 28, just before 11 a.m. at Marina State Park off Monterey, Calif., where the 24-year-old owner of Monterey Aquarium Services had gone with friends for a day of the sport they love. Nearly four months later, Endris, who is still undergoing physical therapy to repair muscle damage suffered during the attack, is back in the water and on his board in the same spot where he almost lost his life.

“[It] came out of nowhere. There’s no warning at all.

Maybe I saw him a quarter second before it hit me. But no warning. It was just a giant shark,” Endris said. “It just shows you what a perfect predator they really are.”

The shark, estimated at 12 to 15 feet long, hit him first as Endris was sitting on his surfboard, but couldn’t get its monster jaws around both surfer and surfboard. “The second time, he came down and clamped on my torso — sandwiched my board and my torso in his mouth,” Endris said.

That attack shredded his back, literally peeling the skin back, he said, “like a banana peel.” But because Endris’ stomach was pressed to the surfboard, his intestines and internal organs were protected.

The third time, the shark tried to swallow Endris’ right leg, and he said that was actually a good thing, because the shark’s grip anchored him while he kicked the beast in the head and snout with his left leg until it let go.

The dolphins, which had been cavorting in the surf all along, showed up then. They circled him, keeping the shark at bay, and enabled Endris to get back on his board and catch a wave to the shore.

No one knows why dolphins protect humans, but stories of the marine mammals rescuing humans go back to ancient Greece, according to the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society.

A year ago in New Zealand, the group reports, four lifeguards were saved from sharks in the same way Endris was — by dolphins forming a protective ring.

Though horribly wounded, Endris said he didn’t think he was going to die. “Actually, it never crossed my mind,” he told Morales.

It did, though, cross the minds of others on the beach, including some lifeguards who told his friend, Brian Simpson, that Endris wasn’t going to make it.

Simpson is an X-ray technician in a hospital trauma center, and he’d seen badly injured people before. He had seen Endris coming in and knew he was hurt.

“I was expecting him to have leg injuries,” he told Morales. “It was a lot worse than I was expecting.”

Blood was pumping out of the leg, which had been bitten to the bone, and Endris, who lost half his blood, was ashen white. To stop the blood loss, Simpson used his surf leash as a tourniquet, which probably saved his life.

“Thanks to this guy,” Endris said, referring to Simpson, who sat next to him in the TODAY studio, “once I got to the beach, he was calming me down and keeping me from losing more blood by telling me to slow my breathing and really just be calm. They wouldn’t let me look at my wounds at all, which really helped.

A medivac helicopter took him to a hospital, where a surgeon had to first figure out what went where before putting him back together.

“It was like putting together a jigsaw puzzle,” Endris said.

Six weeks later, he was well enough to go surfing again, and the place he went was back to Marina State Park. It wasn’t easy to go back in the water.

“You really have to face your fears,” he told Morales. “I’m a surfer at heart, and that’s not something I can give up real easily. It was hard. But it was something you have to do.”

The shark went on its way, protected inside the waters of the park, which is a marine wildlife refuge. Endris wouldn’t want it any other way.

“I wouldn’t want to go after the shark anyway,” he said. “We’re in his realm, not the other way around.”
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Bbnbama, that was a great story! I just love dolphins. I call them the dogs of the sea. They seem to have that same devotion.
    You know how alcohol makes people let down their prohibitions Ms Rap Supreme on VH1

Simon is ok!!!! He came home this afternoon and he and Henry had a joyful reunion for about ten minutes before they got back into their "Grumpy Old Men" routine and growled at each other.

Our vet said that when he checked on Simon yesterday (just after Simon got there from the ER) he could NOT believe that it was actually Simon because he was so still and quiet. This morning, the vet actually heard Simon barking while he (the vet) was still in the clinic parking lot and he told us that that is when he knew Simon would be just fine. We have to give him two new pills (an antibiotic and a "pepcid" for dogs) for the next ten days and then the vet wants to see him again. That works out for us because we'd planned to board him the Monday before Thanksgiving because we have some friends who will be here that night. The friends have small children and Simon isn't a child-friendly dog! Henry LOVES kids (especially when they have food) and I'm sure that he will be delighted.

Thank you all again for thinking of us. We were SO scared when we had to rush Simon to the ER. We still don't know what caused this, but he's ok now and I guess that is all that counts.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Glad to hear Simon's fine.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2658558;
    My current favourite is icanhascheezburger.com. I'm not sure why the combo of cat picture/silly caption breaks my bouts of depression, but they do.
    Rattus that's one of my favorite sites.....thanks for reminding me to visit it again. My favorite of the new ones is Fluffy...reporting live

Uncle David: Lil Bit is beautiful in her AV!

bbnbama: That is an amazing story! I love dolphins ever more now!

doxie: I'm glad Simon is so much better!

rattus: I love that site too!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread