+ Reply to Thread
Page 76 of 1737 FirstFirst ... 266667686970717273747576777879808182838485861261765761076 ... LastLast
Like Tree1136Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

FORT Fan
    Oh Muduh they are so adorable! That's so nice of your grandson to take them in - I have a cat that I took in about a year and a half ago (she was just a kitten) - her mother and siblings died, and I felt bad for her because she was the runt. I have two other cats, and they still don't get along with her (cat jealousy!), but she turned out to be the friendliest animal I ever had! It's like she appreciates that we took her inside instead of leaving her to be an outside cat all alone.

Sigfried and Roy are just the most recent pets he has adopted. He had one dog for fifteen years. He passed away last fall. He still has another dog and an old kitty. All the animals were other peoples throwaways. The dog that he still has came there when he was about eight or nine. He came to the front door with this full grown dog beside him and asked if he could keep him. He could and did. Now nine years later he still has that big old shaggy dog. They really love each other.

FORT Fan
    Oh, I'm sorry about his older dog, that is hard, I know.
    Your grandson must have a big heart, I love to hear about people taking in strays!

Muduh, those are adorable cats They seem to have same pattern on fur as our kitty#2, except that our kitty is tan and white (and despite the tan color my kids named her Snowball, one dirty snowball she is ). It is an interesting pattern, not quite pure tabby stripe, but not spots either, reminds me for some reason of ocelots
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Did anyone see the cats they had on the CBS early show this morning? There were some really different looking ones One was really fuzzy and HUGE. Another one was really slick black and also a beefy guy. He seemed to have a bad attitude too. One was marked like an Ocelot. I loved seeing them.
    Oh I forgot to tell you all that my little grand kid has a new pet. It's a turtle, correction, he informed me that it's a BOX turtle. Okay, fine. They picked it up off the road, went to Walmart and bought it a nice home and bedding and it is happily residing with the kid now. I refuse to pick it up and don't want it near me. They had to put it where he can't get it out. He wanted to play with it. Just out of curiosity, how playful is a turtle? Do they do tricks? Anyway, he seems to like it. Just so it keeps it's distance from me we're fine.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar
    Thanks for the response! I ended going online to find out a lot about expressing. I "get" to do it next bath! Hooray! (yes, with loads of sarcasm!)
    I have to apologise for not commenting on the wonderful pix of everyone's pets-some of them made me laugh, they were so cute!

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    I don't expect to get any answers for this, but I think my sister's frogs have red leg, and does anyone have any idea on how to treat it?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by famita
    Thanks for the response! I ended going online to find out a lot about expressing. I "get" to do it next bath! Hooray! (yes, with loads of sarcasm!)
    I have to apologise for not commenting on the wonderful pix of everyone's pets-some of them made me laugh, they were so cute!
    I'm a former vet medical technician and I can't implore you strongly enough to reconsider doing this on your own!!!

It's worth it to pay a professional to do it because there is a good chance you can rupture the sacs by pressing too hard on them.

Trust me, you can cause more harm by trying to express them yourself if you only read about doing it on the Internet.

At the very least, have your veterinarian instruct you exactly how to do it right there in the office, where you can ask questions.

The complications that can arise from anal gland injury are many, and the fact that they could be inflicted on an animal by something as simple as improper technique would be tragic, 'cause the complications can be nasty and very uncomfortable for the pet. I was a vet technician for almost 15 years and I've seen some very bad problems that resulted from the improper expression of anal sacs in animals.

At the very least, have your veterinarian instruct you IN PERSON on how to do this.

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh
    Just out of curiosity, how playful is a turtle? Do they do tricks? Anyway, he seems to like it. Just so it keeps it's distance from me we're fine.
    A turtle isn't very playful. We have two baby red-eared sliders, and they're currently hibernating.

FORT Fogey

Update on New Dog

Well, I the update on the new Pomeranian is that I spoke with the person who's fostering the little black dog (mentioned in my previous posts as being a likely candidate for my new dog) and she agreed to meet me tomorrow to pass him along to me.

He's two and a half years old and has been living at her "foster home" with 14 other dogs! So I have a feeling that he's going to feel pretty special when he's one of only two dogs at my place.

I'm supposed to meet her tomorrow at the state line ('cause she lives out of state) and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I can't thank you all enough for being here for me last Saturday, only one week ago, when I was so "down" over the loss of my av.

Thanks again.

+ Reply to Thread