+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2639614;
    Yeah, Chow hound...
    Guess you won't be posting the Newf's feet, unless you're looking to get a new scanner!

Well there must be something to the black spots - Joey is a CHOW hound also hee hee hee
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Thank you roseskid and dagwood for your advice. I know he'll be okay, it's just sad. We've already been spoiling him even more so I'm sure he's happy about that!

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2639985;
    Thank you roseskid and dagwood for your advice. I know he'll be okay, it's just sad. We've already been spoiling him even more so I'm sure he's happy about that!
    I know you will spoil him even more, as he deserves it ACF.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

chaserla: Bouvier's are just beautiful dogs!

ACF: I'm so sorry to hear about your pooch's eyesight. I know that cats who go blind or lose and eye do very well, if you don't move the furniture and keep routines the same. My aunt had a blind cat for many years and you would never know from his demeanor and cattitude! I also knew someone who had a blind little poodle. She managed both the house and yard very well and was always in a happy spirit for hugs and cuddles! I think they all used their hearing and sense of smell much more than before but managed extremely well! Blessings to you and your little guy!

queenb: Oooo. I love that photo of the toes and the pink little tummy. Too cute.

gabriel: Meowza! I never knew Joey had such adorable toesies too! I want to rub his fluffy tummy

Let me guess: those photos are taken with the kitty sitting on a glass table, from below?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2640684;

gabriel: Meowza! I never knew Joey had such adorable toesies too! I want to rub his fluffy tummy

Let me guess: those photos are taken with the kitty sitting on a glass table, from below?

Mine was taken after Joey jumped on my scanner when I opened the cover to clean it. I activated the scan from my keyboard and he just sat there staring at the light moving under his body.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

My picture was taken on the scanner also!

Archie, I feel bad about your baby but I suspect he will be ok. Would you believe I actually bought a blind horse one time (cheap of course) who had barrel raced for years and would still do it blind? He had total trust in me riding him and I could take him anywhere. When he needed to go in the trailer I'd tap the floor and say 'step up', and he would feel for it with his foot. I was just very careful to always tell him to 'be careful' if there was a hole or anything, and it worked for us. I know it sounds mean but he actually liked to get out, because if you turned him loose he didn't seem to have nearly as much confidence by himself.
    By the way, I did win a lot of barrel races with him--he had the fastest turn ot of the many, many horses I've ever ridden.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Washoe the chimp that learned ASL died yesterday.
    Chimpanzee who knew sign language dies - Yahoo! News
    By NICHOLAS K. GERANIOS, Associated Press Writer Wed Oct 31, 7:13 PM ET

SPOKANE, Wash. - Washoe, a female chimpanzee believed to be the first non-human to acquire human language, has died of natural causes at the research institute where she was kept.

Washoe, who first learned a bit of American Sign Language in a research project in Nevada, had been living on Central Washington University's Ellensburg campus since 1980. She had a vocabulary of about 250 words.

She died Tuesday night, according to Roger and Deborah Fouts, co-founders of The Chimpanzee and Human Communications Institute on the campus. She was born in Africa about 1965.

She was taken to the veterinary hospital at Washington State University on Wednesday for a necropsy. Her memorial will be Nov. 12.

"Washoe was an emissary, bringing us a message of respect for nature," Dr. Mary Lee Jensvold, assistant director of the nonprofit institute, said Wednesday.

The Fouts went to Central Washington from Oklahoma in 1980 to create a home for Washoe and other chimps.

"The entire CWU community and the Ellensburg community are feeling the loss of our friend, Washoe, one of our daughters," said CWU President Jerilyn S. McIntyre.

Washoe also taught sign language to three younger chimps who remain at the institute, Central Washington spokeswoman Becky Watson said. They are Tatu, 31, Loulis, 29, and Dar, 31.

Washoe was the only chimpanzee at the institute born in Africa and was the matriarch of the chimpanzee family. She was named for Washoe County, Nev., where she lived with Drs. Allen and Beatrix Gardner of the University of Nevada, Reno, from 1966 to 1970.

Primate researcher Jane Goodall, in Roger Fouts' book "Next of Kin," noted the importance of the work with Washoe.

"Roger, through his ongoing conversations with Washoe and her extended family, has opened a window into the cognitive workings of a chimpanzee's mind that adds new dimension to our understanding," Goodall was quoted as saying.

In 1967, the Gardners established Project Washoe to teach the chimp ASL. Previous attempts to teach chimpanzees to imitate vocal languages had failed. Roger Fouts was a graduate student of the Gardners.

For Washoe to be considered "reliable" on a sign, it had to be seen by three different observers in three separate instances. Then it had to be seen 15 days in a row to be added to her sign list.

But there was controversy over whether the chimp was really using ASL. Cognitive scientist Steven Pinker has contended the notion that Washoe was the first non-human to acquire a human language was without scientific support.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2640865;
    Mine was taken after Joey jumped on my scanner when I opened the cover to clean it. I activated the scan from my keyboard and he just sat there staring at the light moving under his body.
    I never thought of that! I don't have a scanner, or a glass table. I wonder how I would get that shot.

Unk:
    That is so sad about Washoe. We learned so much from her. I hope she had an enjoyable life and will have fun at Rainbow Bridge teaching other animals ASL!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Archie - my parents had a dog that went blind. It takes a lot of time and patience (my dad would throw a ball for the dog and it took a LONG time for the dog to find the ball and bring it back). My parents also constantly talked to the dog and he learned "step up" when they needed to take him upstairs and a bunch of other words. The best thing that you can do is NOT re-arrange the furniture or leave stuff in the "path" of the dog. Your dog WILL pick out a path with his/her nose and you will be amazed - he will adjust to being blind much more easily than any human would!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

My boy Chauncy was deaf and blind in his latter years. I didn't realize it until I took him to a friend's house and he had difficulty getting around. That's when I quit taking him with me. He knew his way around the house and even going outside.

+ Reply to Thread