+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: For animal lovers

Link Here

Ellen Shocked Over New Home for Her Former Dog
    WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 17, 2007 04:00 PM EDT

By Tim Nudd

Ellen DeGeneres told Ryan Seacrest Wednesday morning that she was concerned over reports that Iggy, the dog at the center of her adoption controversy, had been given away to a new family not her hairdresser's.

Seacrest got DeGeneres on the phone during his KIIS-FM radio program in L.A., and said to her, "I heard this morning that this dog, Iggy, is now with another family."

DeGeneres replied: "Yeah, that's what I just heard, too. The statement was, 'Finally, it's in a safe home.' Which is an unbelievable statement. I mean, the whole situation is surreal. I can't even begin to tell you the disbelief."

Citing the attorney for rescue agency Mutts & Moms, The Insider reported Wednesday that the dog has indeed been placed in a new home.

Seacrest asked DeGeneres, "Why did they place the dog somewhere else without figuring this out?" She replied: "I guess so that people would just leave them alone. I don't know."

DeGeneres reiterated to Seacrest that she had made a mistake in not following the rules in giving Iggy to her hairdresser's family. But she claimed once again that the rescue agency was punishing the dog and her friend's family for that mistake.

She also agreed with Seacrest when he suggested the agency had a personal vendetta against DeGeneres herself.

"I don't even understand the latest statement in the press, which is, 'I won't let the Ellen DeGenereses of the world get away with this,' " she said.

Following the Rules
    DeGeneres went on to suggest that Mutts & Moms enforces its rules arbitrarily. One such rule, she said, is that it does not allow families with children under 14 to adopt a rule she said the agency has not always followed in the past.

Also, she said, she was never asked to fill out an adoption application and never had a home evaluation also supposed rules.

DeGeneres said she had little recourse at the time the dog was taken back because the agency was still listed as the owner on the dog's microchip.

Asked what she would like to happen next, DeGeneres said, "I want Iggy's health and safety, number one. I would like Iggy to come back to that family, because I gave Iggy to that family, and that family has now had their hearts broken, and I feel responsible."

Then she added: "But the bigger picture is, everyone [needs to be] aware of your rights, and that you have to make sure that the microchip has your name on it, someone can come at any time and take your dog away."
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Mutts and Moms aren't doing themselves any good, IMO. Ellen knows she made a mistake. People do. It had such a simple solution and now it has been totally blown out of proportion.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Link Here

The recent controversy surrounding ELLEN DeGENERES' adopted dog, IGGY, has prompted a number of responses from different animal welfare groups as well as from other celebrities.

"In a situation like this, a pet could end up homeless while this type of dispute plays out on television," says MADELINE BERNSTEIN, President of the L.A. chapter of the SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals), in a statement released today. She continues, "Ellen gets people to watch the show for two days and talk about her. The rescue group is standing on principle and they have the right to, but you can see how you could still end up with two children crying and a dog with no home. I would have hoped there would have been a way to resolve this so that everyone was happy. The only winners in the end are the TV ratings.

"We all have language that like that in our contracts but exceptions can be made. Different groups might have handled it differently."

Meanwhile, ED SAYRES, President & CEO of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA), says: "Ms. DeGeneres' love and concern for animals has become practically iconic. As such, we have the utmost respect for her actions in trying to provide loving homes for animals in need -- she sets a great example for not just other celebrities, but the entire American public.

"We also understand the point of view of Mutts & Moms. Several shelters, including our own, have similar language written into their contracts that essentially function as a safety net for the animals they adopt out, so that adopters know they can always bring the animals back in case the adoption doesn't work out. With an estimated five to seven million companion animals entering shelters every year, the last thing any responsible shelter wants to see is the unnecessary euthanasia of pets.

"We would encourage Mutts & Moms to re-visit their approach to this situation and look forward to a positive outcome that reinforces the importance of pets in our society and the human-animal bond."

And actor ED ASNER, an avid supporter of animal welfare issues, tells ET: "Pet adoption agencies have very specific rules and governance on whom they allow to adopt. Just because a first party was approved does not mean they can then hand off to a second party and on and on. The safety of the pet is thereby assured.

"I'm sure if effort is made for the family DeGeneres gave her dog to -- pass inspection and gain approval -- all can be well."
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

That poor dog would be better off in a loving home with two little girls who adore him than he would EVER be in a shelter where he is kept in a cage, rarely walked and doesn't have social interaction with other dogs.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

This is why I've gotten to the point that I'm not sure that all of the rescue organizations are all that great-- many want what I consider way too much control over what you do with the animal after you get it. I've even seen some that demand the right to come to your home to check on the animal if they desire. Unfortunately, I think the result is that you end up seeing the same animals on petfinder month after month after month. Given that the rescue's adoption fees are three to five times what is charged at the shelter, and sometimes even more, I think they would know that the vast majority of adopters would do the right thing.
    I got my last cat from the shelter with my boyfriend's niece in mind, and he has decided she can have it for Christmas; he wanted to consider it first, and we wanted to make sure the cat will be a good one for a 12 year old that has never had her 'own' pet. (The bio-dad is MIA, and L is raising the niece)
    I KNOW the kitty is going to a good home, and I can see her whenever I like--so the only problem is with me being sad because I've had the cat a couple of months.

I think the Mutts and Moms lady has gone overboard, and is just a classic control freak...so sad for the dog.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Goddess of Looks & Books nliedel's Avatar

Rescue organinzations are important and doing their best. That said, Mutts and Moms handled this very badly, imo. I was very bothered by their assertions that it had to be, "Ellen's way." I've read everything, listened to all the tapes and see no indication that she was strong arming anyone. She was/is upset and she has a forum. She does not use her forum to push a personal adgenda. She does not talk much about her life and lifestyle. I just don't see the Mutt's and Mom's point of view on this. Maybe I'm blind, but I don't think so.

For them to give the dog to someone else, without even considering the family that had him, was short sighted, and smacks as a slap in the face to the whole other side.
    I sling romance and makeup
    Home BlogMakeup Blog

MRD

Sounds to me that they wanted to name drop about customers and now they can't.

"Why, our pets are so highly regarded and sought after that even pet lover Ellen DeGeneres adopted one of ours".

And now they are pissed they can't use that. Just saying after all the hoopla that I can't see another reason to be SO mad at Ellen and to say she's strong armed them, etc. Nliedel is right, she very rarely uses her show to push her own agenda and I'm thinking that maybe they were either hopeing to use her name or she would give them a shout out on her show for some free publicity and now that isn't happening. Because it just seems like their reactions have been WAY overboard to the whole situation.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I'll admit to being very ignorant about the workings of a pet rescue agency. Do they give away the pets or do you have to pay a certain amount to adopt it? If indeed you have to pay, can Mutts and Moms be pissed that they missed out on an opportunity to make more money?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You definitely have to pay. My last adoption fee was over $100.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Goddess of Looks & Books nliedel's Avatar

Most rescue organizations ask for a fee. It covers vet bills, housing, food, and numerous other costs. I've been active in Husky rescue in the past and believe me, it's not cheap. Many shelters have a rule that husky's get put down, because they can be a bit high strung (that was a total underplay of my girl and her bouncieness). So, the money they get is important and most run in the red, all the time.

That's why allowing famous people to adopt is so important. A famous person giving you a shout-out can funnel dollars to your organization. Lots of dollars. Most of those organizations, in southern California, court celebrities. I'm not saying Mutts and Moms did this. I don't know. I have read that Ellen's home was not checked out prior to her adopting Iggy, but that's a rumor.

I am always bothered by absolutes. Yes, kids can be hard on little dogs, not all kids are and our little adopted Pomeranian has been a Godsend for us. He has really bonded with son who has autism. We would be badly missing out, if our son and Bear did not have that relationship because someone deemed my son innapropriate. Bear, by the way, is a twelve year old boy. We adopted him last year.
    I sling romance and makeup
    Home BlogMakeup Blog

+ Reply to Thread