+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1258Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: For animal lovers

Sorry for the double post.....

I saw this article about Ellen DeGeneres and thought I'd post it here rather than in Misc. Celebrity thread...

Link Here

DeGeneres Under Fire for Giving Away Dog
    Published: 10/15/07, 11:25 PM EDT
    By BETH HARRIS

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Ellen DeGeneres is in the doghouse with a pet rescue agency after giving a pooch away to her hairdresser because it didn't get along with her cats.

The talk show hostess and her partner Portia de Rossi adopted Iggy, a Brussels Griffon mix, on Sept. 20. But when things didn't work out, DeGeneres gave the dog to her hairdresser.

In doing so, DeGeneres violated an agreement with the Mutts and Moms agency by not informing them of the handoff.

When the agency called DeGeneres to ask about Iggy, she said she found another home for the dog. The agency sent a representative to the hairdresser's home Sunday and took the dog away.

DeGeneres went public with the doggy ordeal Monday while taping an episode of her show to air Tuesday. She admitted she didn't read all the paperwork involving the adoption.

DeGeneres said she spent $3,000 having the dog neutered and trained to be with her cats. But the dog had too much energy and was too rambunctious, she told her television audience.

"I guess I signed a piece of paper that says if I can't keep Iggy, it goes back to the rescue organization, which is not someone's home, which is not a family," she said in a show transcript provided to The Associated Press.

"I thought I did a good thing. I tried to find a loving home for the dog because I couldn't keep it."

DeGeneres said her hairdresser's daughters, ages 11 and 12, had bonded with Iggy and were heartbroken when the dog was taken away.

"Because I did it wrong, those people went and took that dog out of their home, and took it away from those kids," a sobbing DeGeneres said on her show.

"I feel totally responsible for it and I'm so sorry. I'm begging them to give that dog back to that family. I just want the family to have their dog. It's not their fault. It's my fault. I shouldn't have given the dog away. Just please give the dog back to those little girls."

Mutts and Moms, a volunteer nonprofit organization in Pasadena, does not have a listed phone number and didn't immediately respond to an e-mail request for comment.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    What a sad situation...I understand that Ellen didn't follow those papers but geez....its not like she dropped the dog off on a street corner to fend for itself. Now, you've got 2 little girls who are attached to the pooch and heartbroken because its been taken away........
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2613467;
    That bird dancing could not be anymore adorable!!! Very impressive!
    Henry was sleeping under my desk when I checked out this link. He woke up, waddled out from under the desk and started barking at the bird. I've played it about four times now and he's gone from sleepily barking to full throttle howling.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2614500;
    I saw this article about Ellen DeGeneres and thought I'd post it here rather than in Misc. Celebrity thread...

DeGeneres Under Fire for Giving Away Dog

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    What a sad situation...I understand that Ellen didn't follow those papers but geez....its not like she dropped the dog off on a street corner to fend for itself. Now, you've got 2 little girls who are attached to the pooch and heartbroken because its been taken away........
    I agree. i read this also and thought to myself, why didn't they just check out the home the pooch went to and say to Ellen - "Thanks"...
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

How horrible for those little girls. Hopefully the organization will take enough heat to give the dog back. You would think they would rather the dog be in a with a good family rather than a shelter.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I adopted one of my kitty "gurls" from a shelter that makes you sign a form saying that if you have to get rid of the animal that you will give the animal back to the shelter, however I can't ever remember the shelter calling to check on any of my gurls (I currently have 2 of them).

I also can't understand why they just didn't have the new family fill out forms, and do whatever check they do to keep from displacing the dog again. Removal should have been the very last option, IMO.

Took Chloe Elizabeth to the vet for her follow up for the enlarged heart. There has been some improvement in the vessels that empty the heart, however they did find high blood pressure, which was no surprise. We now have high BP medicine (Norvasc...humans also take this), and we are starting 1/2 baby aspirin/week. We're back for a re-check in a month. They expect to see further improvement with the BP med. Doesn't seem like this vet trip traumatized her as much as the previous one did, thank goodness, but she can't have her yearly shots until the BP issue is worked on. All of my anxiety is not gone, but I do feel a little better knowing that positive changes are happening. All of her bloodwork came back normal!! My wonderful vet called me at 11 p.m. last night, after having been in surgery all day, to let me know how things turned out. Completely reaffirms why I use these people!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2614500;
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

That is the case with our boxers. We can't just give them to anyone - they are microchipped and if they are ever lost, they will be sent back to the Rescue who has our number. Their tags have our phone # as well.

I feel sorry for the two girls. I mean come on now just because she's famous she catches all the flak. Don't they understand she did a good thing by giving the dog to a family?:nono
    There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved- George Sand

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2329170;
    I have The Complete Far Side Collection, every Far Side cartoon ever done. I love Gary Larson's sense of humor.
    Hi ... I'm searching for a copy of a cartoon and don't recall whether it was a Far Side panle or perhpas a Speed Bump panel. In it, as a shepherd/priest stands, scimitar in hand, before a rock altar, one particularly dim bulb among the flock of standing-erect sheep facing him in frantically waves his foreleg shouting "Pick me! Pick me! I want to be the snack-official lamb!"

If you recognize that as being indeed (or being definitely not) a Far Side panel, please share your expertise, as knowing where to look or not look would be helpful. Moreover, if it _is_ a Far Side panel and you'd care to sahre a copy, please let me kow that, too, and I'll let you know how/where to transmit it.

Thanks,

Stan

PS High on the list of my own Larson favorites is one captioned "Primitive Spelling Bees," in which the "up" contestant is shown spelling "C-A-V_E" as his next-up neighbor grumpily thinks "Oh,sure ...and I'll probably get 'australopithecus.'" :-)

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

And the story continues.......

Link Here

Agency Wants to Keep DeGeneres' Dog

By BETH HARRIS

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Ellen DeGeneres' doggy drama intensified Tuesday when the agency that took the talk show host's adopted dog back said they were keeping it.

The dog adopted by DeGeneres and later given to her hairstylist's family in violation of an animal rescue agency's rules will not be going back to the family, a spokesman said, amid threats of violence against the agency.

DeGeneres made a tearful plea on her talk show that aired Tuesday for the owners of Mutts and Moms to give Iggy, a Brussels Griffon mix terrier, back to her hairstylist's family.

The dog was removed from the hairstylist's home Sunday. The owners of Mutts and Moms claimed that DeGeneres violated the adoption agreement by not informing them that she was giving the dog away.

Mutts and Moms owners Marina Batkis and Vanessa Chekroun were in possession of the dog and will not be giving it back, attorney Keith A. Fink told The Associated Press.

"She (Marina) is not going to give them the dog," said Fink, who is not legally representing the owners but is authorized to speak on their behalf.

"She doesn't think this is the type of family that should have the dog. She is adamant that she is not going to be bullied around by the Ellen DeGenereses of the world ... They are using their power, position and wealth to try to get what it is they want."

DeGeneres' attorney, Kevin Yorn, did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

Fink said DeGeneres' partner, actress Portia de Rossi, signed the agreement. DeGeneres originally said on her show that she (DeGeneres) had signed it.

DeGeneres' publicist Kelly Bush confirmed De Rossi signed the agreement, although DeGeneres' name also was listed.

"She (Ellen) was wrong by not reading the agreement," Bush told the AP in a phone interview. "She thought she was doing a good thing. She's notorious for rescuing animals and finding them good homes. She found the dog a wonderful, wonderful home."

Fink asserted that DeGeneres and De Rossi breached the agreement.

"If you adopt a dog and you no longer want the dog, you can't unilaterally decide who you want to give the dog to," he said. "She's trying to tell a story to make herself look good."

As a result of the ensuing publicity, Fink said Batkis and Chekroun had received voice- and e-mail threats of death and arson, and their Paws Boutique store in Pasadena was besieged by media Tuesday, disrupting business. The women handle the volunteer, nonprofit Mutts and Moms rescue agency out of the store.

"It's very upsetting to hear that someone is getting those kind of calls," Bush said. "Ellen just wants the dog reunited with the family."

DeGeneres had said her hairdresser's daughters, ages 11 and 12, had bonded with Iggy and were heartbroken when the dog was taken away.

Fink said Moms and Mutts has a rule that families with children under 14 are not allowed to adopt small dogs.

"It's for the protection of the dog," he said.

DeGeneres said on her Tuesday show that she spent $3,000 having the dog neutered and trained to be with her cats, but Iggy did not mix well with the cats so she gave him away.

"She got rid of the dog not because it didn't get along with the cats," Fink said. "She didn't like the dog."

Not true, according to Bush.

"She loved the dog," the publicist said.

Four-month-old Iggy was trained by Zack Grey at his UrbanTales pet store in Los Angeles.

"Ellen and Portia followed the process every single day," he said. "It just didn't work. It had nothing to do with not loving the puppy."
    Shame on Moms & Mutts.....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

"She got rid of the dog not because it didn't get along with the cats," Fink said. "She didn't like the dog."
    I don't get the leap between it not getting along with their cats and not liking the dog. Sounds like these people are trying to look good for the press. Sorry, not going to happen. They should give the dog back to the family Ellen gave it to. Just because the girls are 11 and 14 doesn't mean the dog is in danger. They are being petty.

I also don't agree with the threats of violence. That isn't going to solve anything.

+ Reply to Thread