+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1420Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;2612133;
    I have a question. My dog has luxating patellas and it is in the very mild stage and she is a 6 1/2 year old miniature poodle ( see avatar). Our regular long-time vet is out recovering from some neck surgery so we saw an associate Doc yesterday for the annual and vaccinations. This younger Doc was really nice and the pooch absolutely loved him, but he is suggesting starting her on Glucosamine/Chondroiten now as a preventative. I've asked the regular vet about vitamins and joint supplements before and he said he would tell me if and when.

My SO says ALL studies show that stuff has no effect on humans OR animals. It is also quite expensive ($60 for 80 tablets) and says it's a waste of money and a rip-off. The specific product is Dasuquin Joint Health Supplement.

Has anyone had any experience with this stuff or any other Glucosamine/Chondroiten ... good or bad ?

echo, last year our lab blew out his knee. The surgeon that repaired it recommended Glyco-Flex3. He said that it would help the joints stay lubricated, so that he would not damage the knee again and would keep the other knee from having the same problem. So far it has worked but boy howdy is it expensive. Good Luck
    Finally, after 22 years I got my honeymoon. Niagara Falls in February. Whats next the beach in December?

echo: I hope that your little poodle shows some improvement on the meds your vet suggested. Or is at least more comfortable! Keep us posted on her progress.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by echo
    Has anyone had any experience with this stuff or any other Glucosamine/Chondroiten
    Our vet suggested glucosamine/chondroiten. It is available in over the counter supplements at pet stores such as Petco or Petsmart. You might have to read some labels, but the info is right there and it really helped our dog.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Snowball the dancing cockatoo

Echo, I hope you can find some help for your dog. I know it's hard to see her in pain. Also, products with MSM are very good. We (fellow boarders) were using it on our horses first and had good results.
    You know how alcohol makes people let down their prohibitions Ms Rap Supreme on VH1

Echo, Mr. Rose and I started using Glucosamine/Chondroitin when we were running long distances (40 miles/week), and the improvement in our knees/hips was remarkable. I've since recommended it to friends and family members (young and old alike) with various joint problems and they swear by it, too. I've heard some brands are better than others, and we actually switched many times until we found this one which resulted in fabulous results (we get it at Costco). Of course I'm speaking of humans here, but I would guess there are some brands better than others for dogs, too. Maybe you should ask your vet about that, but the idea of one brand being better than another could certainly explain why some people swear by it and others think it's a rip-off.

Last edited by roseskid; 10-15-2007 at 03:35 PM.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Exactly Roses. In Canada, because supplements are not federally regulated, I could put my name on something..."Canuck's chondroitin" and there is no monitoring to see how much chondroitin, and how many additives there are. It pays to do your homework.

Re: Snowball the dancing cockatoo

Quote Originally Posted by Punkin;2613209;

That was sooooo funny! I watched it twice and sent it to my friends! Talk about doing a Happy Dance!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

That bird dancing could not be anymore adorable!!! Very impressive!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Aw...I love the Backstreet Boys...and Snowball was in perfect rhythm with the music!

Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread