+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1421Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Forgive me, mrd, but I juat don't see the big difference in that dog and several other breeds out there, though I'd never heard of it. So maybe there's no shedding, but I see lots of brushing and detangling. Then again I've never thought the hairy breeds were all that cute anyway, so...

I may be evil, but whenever I've had to do anything to cats, I grab them by the scruff of the neck, so they're immobilized, the way a momcat does it. Then wrap the whole kitty up tightly in a towel with only the face peeking out, or the toenail that needs clipped or whatever. It gets it over with so much faster. I was surprised that the vet assistant at the office when I got zip had never seen that done before, but I had to hold zip like that to get an antibiotic in her. I do like that whenever possible, my vet gives medicines in liquid form. It's still no fun, but it's easier to get a dropper full of liquid dosed than a pill. Then again I used to have to give meds to horses--at least the cat isn't big enough to drag me around.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

How to give a pill to a cat and a dog
    CAT:

1) Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As the cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2) Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3) Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4) Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5) Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

6) Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and vigorously rub cat's throat.

7) Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make a note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8) Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9) Check label to make sure pill is not harmful to humans, drink 1 beer to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10) Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11) Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch bottle of scotch. Pour shot, drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of your last tetanus jab. Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw tee-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12) Ring fire brigade to retrieve the friggin' cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13) Tie the little @#!*#^~!'s front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining room table, find heavy duty Pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14) Consume remainder of Scotch. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15) Arrange for SPCA to collect mutant cat from hell and ring local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

DOG: Wrap pill in bacon, cheese or peanut butter. Make him beg.
    If your not the lead dog the scenery never changes

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2597469;
    Okay -- Let me attempt this -- because generally with dogs they see something like that piece of bread or cheese or whatever and go OH BOY! *GULP* Cats will look at the food, sniff sniff, look again, because something just does not SMELL right.... They even sniff their regular foods to make sure you're not trying to pull something over on them.. HIDE A PILL?? Thanks for the Laughter roseskid....
    I got a kick out of all your responses, but I especially loved your response, Gabriel. I owned a cat for just a short time when I was younger so basically I don't know anything about them, and I had no idea cats were that wary of their owners.

workn2hard2day, that about sums it up, I guess.

I just caught Howard snoring, and when I sneaked up on him to take his picture, I swear he winked at me. Isn't he cute with his paws all wrapped around his face?

Last edited by roseskid; 10-04-2007 at 08:13 PM.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid;2599482;
    I got a kick out of all your responses, but I especially loved your response, Gabriel. I owned a cat for just a short time when I was younger so basically I don't know anything about them, and I had no idea cats were that distrustful of their owners.

workn2hard2day, that about sums it up, I guess.
    Well roseskid, I'm not sure if distrustful is the word, more like very very wary, because my mom says that we humans unconsiously act different if we have put something in their food ,trying to act nonchalant....

That picture of Howard is PRICELESS
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Gabriel, I had 'wary' there first, then changed it at the last minute. After reading your comment, I edited it because as a cat owner, I figure you're more knowledgeable than me.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Howard's picture is adorable!

Our JRT will turn 14 years old on Sunday. We are planning to celebrate his birthday with a big "cookie" and a few tennis balls. Our Dioxin (LOL), Henry is not happy. I'm sure he will be happier when we bust out the giant dog cookie/birthday cake though!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Aww Roses, Howard is adorable as usual.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;2600016;
    Howard's picture is adorable!

Our JRT will turn 14 years old on Sunday. We are planning to celebrate his birthday with a big "cookie" and a few tennis balls. Our Dioxin (LOL), Henry is not happy. I'm sure he will be happier when we bust out the giant dog cookie/birthday cake though!
    Happy Birthday Simon!

Your two sound so like my two little ones. So jealous until the food is brought out.

Waldo just blunders through not even knowing the other two are jealous.

He's started thinking he can sleep with us. He gets on the bed, lays on me, rolls around and takes up all the room, then thinks its play time. Finally settles down, we all adjust to fit around him (Bogie is NOT happy at all, Rosie's on the other side of my husband so doesn't care). Then when everyone thinks they are all set, he leaves and sleeps on the bathroom floor. We have now gone through this for the last 5 nights. But he's so happy and smug to be part of the "bed team" now even if he doesn't stay for long.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Roses, that pic of Howard is adorable.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I guess doggie toes don't stink to them. Obviously, kitty toes don't either, since they do it too (despite the litterbox)!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread