+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1418Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2594830;
    But with the canned in the morning and the tuna when I get home he doesn't eat so much of the hard food unless I have a FULL bowl.
    I have seen in many places that tuna is not a good thing to feed a cat, so you might want to check with your vet before feeding too much of it; just a thought. I give my kitties an itty bitty taste of salmon when I cook it, but don't use it as a meal replacement, just to be on the safe side,even though I only use wild caught fish mostly that I catch myself.
    Also, I understand that water packed tuna may contan onion in small amounts, which isn't the best thing for cats (or dogs) either.

Jewelsy, I hope Jasper is recovering rapidly; I hate to hear he's been so miserable
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2595237;
    I have seen in many places that tuna is not a good thing to feed a cat, so you might want to check with your vet before feeding too much of it; just a thought. I give my kitties an itty bitty taste of salmon when I cook it, but don't use it as a meal replacement, just to be on the safe side,even though I only use wild caught fish mostly that I catch myself.
    Also, I understand that water packed tuna may contan onion in small amounts, which isn't the best thing for cats (or dogs) either.

Jewelsy, I hope Jasper is recovering rapidly; I hate to hear he's been so miserable
    queenb- I make sure his vet knows that he gets about a tablespoon of people tuna each day, and she said that should be ok, but not more than that, because some cats become "tuna holics" and refuse to eat their own food.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Jewelsy - So what's the update on Jasper?

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2595271;
    Jewelsy - So what's the update on Jasper?
    Well, I brought him home yesterday afternoon and so far, so good. I'm supposed to be giving him two pills every day (actually, 2 1/2 pills), and he's horrible about taking pills. He's like 17 1/2 pounds of pure muscle trying to get out from under my grip and it's nearly impossible to pry his mouth open.

I watched a couple of "How to pill your cat" videos on youtube after my failed attempts. I stopped watching after the third video 'cause either those cats graduated from the royal academy of pill taking, or my cat is abnormally stubborn. When I called the vet last night to tell them it didn't work, she said that she'd been watching Jasper the day before and it took THREE nurses to give him one of his dosages; one to hold him down, one to pry his mouth open, and one to drop the pill far enough back as he kept on spitting it back up.

Greaaaaat . . . and you expect one blind person to do the job?

I have a friend coming over in a few hours and hopefully we can get the job done. *crosses fingers*

Nothing beats a BB gun for precision pill delivery (DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!)
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy;2595447;
    Well, I brought him home yesterday afternoon and so far, so good. I'm supposed to be giving him two pills every day (actually, 2 1/2 pills), and he's horrible about taking pills. He's like 17 1/2 pounds of pure muscle trying to get out from under my grip and it's nearly impossible to pry his mouth open.

I watched a couple of "How to pill your cat" videos on youtube after my failed attempts. I stopped watching after the third video 'cause either those cats graduated from the royal academy of pill taking, or my cat is abnormally stubborn. When I called the vet last night to tell them it didn't work, she said that she'd been watching Jasper the day before and it took THREE nurses to give him one of his dosages; one to hold him down, one to pry his mouth open, and one to drop the pill far enough back as he kept on spitting it back up.

Greaaaaat . . . and you expect one blind person to do the job?

I have a friend coming over in a few hours and hopefully we can get the job done. *crosses fingers*

jewelsy - Mona(rest her sweet soul) used to be able to pretend she swallowed the pill so I would think "good job" later I would find this pill somewhere - ARRGH.. Joey on the other handle FIGHTS FIGHTS FIGHTS. Took me & 1 of my friends to pill him - me "sitting on him (Joey - not the friend) my friend distracting him and me shooting the pill off the end of my finger down his throat.. Good Luck!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Good luck Jewelsy! I had to get 4 pills a day into my little dog for a while, and it was hell. I had war wounds by the end of it. Glad to hear your cat is doing okay though.

I'm glad Jasper is home and must be feeling much more comfortable. Good luck with that pill thing! I've never been able to get pills in my cats. But they do love their hair ball stuff.

Here's a really cute website for lovers. He's a dog cartoonist. He has pages of poms and newfs and "Henrys" and almost anyother breed imaginable.
    McCartneysDogs.com

Thanks, gabriel. I feed both of our cats Friskies canned, so I think I'll get some of the IAMS dry as well. The main problem is that Dorito tends to be heavy, and Obi is very small, practically skin and bones. So I think I'll use the weight control formula.

Jewels, have you tried "popping" Jasper's jaws and just dropping the pill down his throat? That sounds vicious, I know. It's a trick a vet showed me, and it's worked for me in the past. Maybe if your friend can hold him, you could get the pill down his throat that way.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread