+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Oh come on people! You don't know that a Dioxin puppy GLOWS in the dark?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

They also have cousins known as known as "Datsun" puppies, which I believe are weenie-dogs imported from Japan.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy;2593476;
    My cat Jasper is in Kitty I.C.U. right now after having surgery for a urinary tract blockage. This was his second time having this so I knew what to look for before it got to be a life and death situation like it was last time.

He had the surgery yesterday morning and I should be able to pick him up tomorrow as they've taken the catheter out and he's going on his own.

Cost: $1,675 (estimate only at time of admittance)
    Wellbeing of my cat: Priceless
    Oh, Jewels, I'm sorry to hear that. My daughter's cat had that problem last year, but fortunately didn't need the surgery. I'm glad he's on the mend.

We were told to completely take him off dry food, and give him canned food only. Apparently part of the problem, at least, was that he was getting too many carbs. It seems to have really helped, no recurrence of the problem. What did your vet tell you to do to prevent it from happening again?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

If I can interject here about Joey. When he had his blockage and after 3 days & nights at the Emergency Hospital (Thank God for credit cards) and me actually going there one night to sit with him & hold him in my lap for hours with the IV in him etc., because they called me and said he was stressed out and wanted me to come. Anyhow I digress, Joeys Dr. told me to give him both hard & soft, because all soft food can cause dental problems , but to look for those foods that are LOW in magnesium in the gauranteed analysis to keep the urine ACIDIC to prevent the formation of crystals. He would not touch science diet. So I ended up with IAMS hard food, and Merricks canned, as well as IAMS canned. Remember the lower the magnesium in the gauranteed analysis the more acidic the urine... I think the food he eats now is gauranteed no more that 0.025% magnesium. I'll do some checking and post later.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2594167;
    They also have cousins known as known as "Datsun" puppies, which I believe are weenie-dogs imported from Japan.

Well thats better than mitsubishi....
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2594482;
    Well thats better than mitsubishi....
    Isn't that the little dog that looks like a cat??
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

gabriel, do you use the IAMS formula that is specially for urinary tract? (Is there such a thing, or am I thinking of some other brand?) Because I really don't think either of my cats are getting enough to eat with just the canned - they're only supposed to have 1/2 a can of food twice a day, and they always seem hungry. I want to be able to give them a hard food so they can munch on something between breakfast and dinner, even though the vet told me not to do that.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2594547;
    gabriel, do you use the IAMS formula that is specially for urinary tract? (Is there such a thing, or am I thinking of some other brand?) Because I really don't think either of my cats are getting enough to eat with just the canned - they're only supposed to have 1/2 a can of food twice a day, and they always seem hungry. I want to be able to give them a hard food so they can munch on something between breakfast and dinner, even though the vet told me not to do that.
    I believe all of the IAMS are low guaranteed magnesium, therefore all are good for urinary tract care.

here is the one for indoor weight & hairball control HARD food:

Guaranteed Analysis Nutrient (percent)
    Crude Protein not less than 28.0%
    Crude Fat not less than 11.0%
    Crude Fat not more than 13.5%
    Crude Fiber not more than 6.5%
    Moisture not more than 10.0%
    Ash not more than 7.0%
    Magnesium not more than 0.10%
    L-Carnitine not less than 80 mg/kg*
    Taurine not less than 0.13%
    Omega-6 Fatty Acids not less than 2.00%*
    Omega-3 Fatty Acids not less than 0.20%*

Here is the one for the Ocean Fish canned:
    Guaranteed Analysis Nutrient (percent)
    Crude Protein not less than 10.00 %
    Crude Fat not less than 5.50 %
    Crude Fiber not more than 0.50 %
    Moisture not more than 78.00 %
    Ash not more than 2.20 %
    Magnesium not more than 0.025 %
    Taurine not less than 0.05 %
    Omega-6 Fatty Acids not less than 0.80 %*
    Omega-3 Fatty Acids not less than 0.10 %*

As for "grazing" - I put out 1/2 cup of hard food for Joey even though the package says 1 cup to lose weight, and 1 1/3- 1 2/3 to maintain weight. I just started the food reduction, if i see too much weight going I will up the amount. But with the canned in the morning and the tuna when I get home he doesn't eat so much of the hard food unless I have a FULL bowl.

I also checked the Web for Friskies urinary care and found the gauranteed analysis did not list magnesium which even though they say low magnesium it's not gauranteed
    Last edited by just1paul; 10-01-2007 at 11:00 PM.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Damn, it looks like you're on your way to a degree in Cat Nutrition, Gabriel. Your dedication to Joey is very impressive - not that I would expect anything less from you, but still, impressive.

Aw, Sweet Jewelsy, I just saw your post about Jasper. I'm glad you got him in so quickly and I look forward to hearing he's back home where he belongs.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;2594056;
    Ironically, I think Doxie has one named Henry. Methinks that ad was taken over the phone.
    Hilarious! I do indeed have a Dioxin/Datsun/Dachshund named Henry! Maybe I should change my alias to Dioxie or Datsie?
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

+ Reply to Thread