+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

MRD

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;2582043;
    RD: Do you know about how old Waldo/Chewie is? My parents have a Springer Spaniel who chewed constantly until he was about three. He chewed up my Dad's wallet (credit cards, cash and all), books, three hoses and a vacuum cleaner! His worst offense was getting one of Mom's lipsticks and running down the hall with it, dragging it along the wall! He is still a notorious food snatcher, but he seemed to stop chewing when he was about three. Bizzarely enough, someone gave him a stuffed animal dog toy and he still has it. He's never chewed it up and he hasn't chewed up anything else since then. The first one was a stuffed bunny and he has an entire collection now! You can say "go get your bunny" or "go get your alligator" and he will bring back the right toy!

That same dog doesn't stay out of trouble for long though. He had to have surgery on his foot this morning to have a giant thorn removed. Neither of my parents could see the thorn becuase it was so deep in his paw. They took him to the vet and they had to knock him out to remove it and he had to have stitches and was apparently rather grumpy (but fine) tonight.
    Poor baby, hope his foot is ok. That is hilarious about the lipstick.
    Waldo only chews when we leave. It's a separation issue. Or we are asleep and he's awake and bored. He has stuffed animals, plastic toys and chewy bones and he will play and chew on those. He tore up BoBo (you know the long stuffed animal in the Pet Smart commercials?) but that's the only one he's torn up.

He's less than 3 and we went through the chewing with the JRT's for almost 3 years too. But his is a more of a I'm doing it because I'm bored thing or because you left me or you won't get up at 3 a.m. and entertain me.

We always find the chewed stuff either in the morning when we get up or after we've gone somewhere.

I have thought about making a cayenne pepper and water spray and putting on some of the things he's chewed before. Does anyone really know if this works? I'm really hesitant because I don't want to hurt him, but I do want to discourage him.

Oh, who am I kidding, the dog eats Wasabi peas, so hot pepper isn't going to stop him.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My kitten loves to stand up on her hind feet like a person. I don't remember seeing a cat do that before.
    Count your blessings!

mrd, is Waldo crate trained? I have friends that crate their chewer dog at night and when they are gone to keep him from destroying everything. Another friend has a dog that is rather "anxious" that feels more secure in its crate.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2582595;
    My kitten loves to stand up on her hind feet like a person. I don't remember seeing a cat do that before.
    Looks like a prairie dog right? Joey does it when he wants something from me.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD: I agree with Veeger. Try leaving Waldo in a crate when you aren't at home or are asleep and can't supervise him. Don't think that you are being mean to him - most dogs (including my evil JRT Simon) LOVE their crates. Put one of his toys in the crate with him and he can chew on that to his heart's delight and then settle down for a long nap. LMAO - I got Simon when I was very young and had no furniture and I used his crate as a bedside table. I used to lure him into his crate, close the crate door and then turn off the lamp that was on top of the crate and go to sleep! Almost 14 years later, Simon STILL sleeps in that crate. We don't close the door (or use it for a bedside table) but he still heads for his crate when he is ready for bed. The crate is certainly worth a try!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2582595;
    Zip does that and will even do it if you make a 'tickle' motion about 18 inches over her head-she rises up until her scalp (?) is getting the scratches! I have also found out that if I get hold of her tail pretty firmly and tug just an itty bit, she will flop down on the floor upside down to get a tummy rub. Rocky is much too dignified for all this and just watches.

MRD, I agree about crate training Waldo--I know lots of dogs that are perfectly happy in them--it's like a den for them. I'm sure there are lots of articles out there about exactly how to do it without making him think it's punishment.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

My sister's new dog took to the crate ok... didn't like it at first but now is fine. Kimono first started standing up when I let her out into my protected side garden with the fountain/waterfall. I think it was to see over the flowers in front of her without going out into the open. Then she started doing it more in the garden as a kind of hide and seek with her mom and now she does it randomly inside, too. Yes, like a prairie dog gabriel. I was going to say meerkat (meercat?) but went to check the spelling in the dictionary and didn't find the word. Is that what Timone is in Lion King?
    Count your blessings!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2582927;
    Is that what Timone is in Lion King?
    Yes that's what he was....Hukana Mutata!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

In just over a week, I will be with 30 of my bestest buddies and their people.

The regional Newf Specialty is in Lincoln in early October, and there is a pretty good entry. I'll be working at the obedience ring (how ironic, my guys don't know the meaning of the word "obedience"), and after that will be free to collect scents for my stay-at-home seniors. My ex-wife, bless her heart, will take care of the boys while I'm gone. I'd feel bad about leaving them behind, but they honestly don't seem to miss me. Bjorn used to get bummed out when I took Gustav to shows, but I think he missed Brother much more than Dad.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2585757;

In just over a week, I will be with 30 of my bestest buddies and their people.

The regional Newf Specialty is in Lincoln in early October, and there is a pretty good entry. I'll be working at the obedience ring (how ironic, my guys don't know the meaning of the word "obedience"), and after that will be free to collect scents for my stay-at-home seniors. My ex-wife, bless her heart, will take care of the boys while I'm gone. I'd feel bad about leaving them behind, but they honestly don't seem to miss me. Bjorn used to get bummed out when I took Gustav to shows, but I think he missed Brother much more than Dad.
    Sounds like fun. If one of the "people" is not in the house, then ours go CRAZY running to the window every 5 minutes looking for them.
    And around 5 every afternoon, every engine sound they think is my husband and they have a fit when it finally is him. He says he wishes I'd greet him so enthusiastically. I'm sorry, but I can't wag my whole body like they do. Ours definetly miss us when we leave.

Will you be able to take pics of all the Newfs, Newf? If so, we'd love to see them.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread