+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1319Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2574465;

It's obvious you have not read back in the thread. Waldo is, well, um, a bit dopey. But we love him. "goosers"...........

............I've heard other wild animal stories using the pet doors to get in. My parents had a horrible experience with frogs getting in the house through the pet door.
    You are right in that... I have to have SOME time away from these boards!

We have had the frog problems, but they (and assorted other live critters) don't get in under their own steam... Stickers and Brindie "invite" them in for a play date... They just never show them the door when it's over...

We have a pond, and when it was first dug, it supported a lot of bullfrogs... Much to the cats' delight! We have had everything from tiny shrews to young rabbits to field rats ! Some we are able to rescue, and, of course, some we are not...

One time, I wasn't sure whether a skunk had come in through the Dane Door, or if Patch just got a really good dose... But, oh, me, that was absolutely the worst! Concentrated skunk smell, doesn't even smell like skunk... It is acrid and hurts your nose... And it permeated the house.. DH was out of town, and I couldn't figure out what I was smelling when I got up.

I loaded Patch and we went to town, and I was still smelling that odor... I figured there was something in the air... Hah! About 4 hours later, the lightbulb went off! Man, that was something... It took about 2 weeks for the smell to completely disappear...

That's country life... At it's best...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by PK...;2574480;
    You are right in that... I have to have SOME time away from these boards!

We have had the frog problems, but they (and assorted other live critters) don't get in under their own steam... Stickers and Brindie "invite" them in for a play date... They just never show them the door when it's over...

We have a pond, and when it was first dug, it supported a lot of bullfrogs... Much to the cats' delight! We have had everything from tiny shrews to young rabbits to field rats ! Some we are able to rescue, and, of course, some we are not...

One time, I wasn't sure whether a skunk had come in through the Dane Door, or if Patch just got a really good dose... But, oh, me, that was absolutely the worst! Concentrated skunk smell, doesn't even smell like skunk... It is acrid and hurts your nose... And it permeated the house.. DH was out of town, and I couldn't figure out what I was smelling when I got up.

I loaded Patch and we went to town, and I was still smelling that odor... I figured there was something in the air... Hah! About 4 hours later, the lightbulb went off! Man, that was something... It took about 2 weeks for the smell to completely disappear...

That's country life... At it's best...
    tomato juice works well on dogs (and cats) that have been sprayed by a skunk. Something in the ph neutralizes the smell. Now how to get it out of your house, I don't know. But you are right. Concentrated it doesn't smell like a polecat, but it sure makes your eyes water.

My dad traded a car after he ran over a polecat (skunk). After 3 days and washing everything and not getting the smell off, he took it in and got a new car.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;2574363;
    I've always heard/read that it isn't a good idea to leave any kind of pet food out ( unsupervised ) because it attracts other critters, ... mice, skunks, squirrels for sure ... and I don't know about opossums, fox or coyote. Just a thought. Perhaps you should only feed the stray when you are there, and take it up when you leave ?

We have changing weather here, of course, and so it might be different in your area ... California right ? Here, there are critters looking for a warmer place and an assured food source. There are also more now because of the recent rain/flooding of the nearby river and forest preserves where they live, they move away from it and towards the populated areas. It's also time to start looking out for the deer crossing the roads. This is one of my fears since one walked right out in front of my car at 2 o'clock in the afternoon ! He was a BIG one, and I heard his hooves on the pavement before I saw him. The dog was in the car and we both were in a state of shock and grateful that we stopped in time and he kept going.

Thanks echo, hadn't thought of other critters since this is in our "downtown" area......but I'm sure there are mice and probably a few rats around. I will most certainly not leave food unattended.

Yes, we're in California....and the weather is finally in the normal range 50's to mid 80's (heaven for humans and pets) after an unseasonally heat wave roasted everyone to a crisp for the month of August.

November is when we will need to make sure the house is totally sealed up, but there are lumber piles to keep any wayward critter sheltered.....fun.
    Last edited by Vonna; 09-16-2007 at 10:45 AM.
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2574498;
    tomato juice works well on dogs (and cats) that have been sprayed by a skunk. Something in the ph neutralizes the smell. Now how to get it out of your house, I don't know. But you are right. Concentrated it doesn't smell like a polecat, but it sure makes your eyes water.

My dad traded a car after he ran over a polecat (skunk). After 3 days and washing everything and not getting the smell off, he took it in and got a new car.
    We went the tomato juice route the first couple encounters, but it didn't seem to do a thing but make a mess...

Oh, me on the car... I can imagine the conversation...

"So, sir, why do you want to trade the car?"

"It stinks."

"It is it mechanically unsound?"

"No, it stinks."

"Well, just what is wrong with it?"

"IT STINKS!!!!!"

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by PK...;2574518;
    We went the tomato juice route the first couple encounters, but it didn't seem to do a thing but make a mess...

Oh, me on the car... I can imagine the conversation...

"So, sir, why do you want to trade the car?"

"It stinks."

"It is it mechanically unsound?"

"No, it stinks."

"Well, just what is wrong with it?"

"IT STINKS!!!!!"

I'm sure they could smell it. I bet the trade in was not as high as it would have been. I was pretty young, but I remember it. My mom refused to ride in it. And my dad had to use it for business too, so it was kind of necessary to have one that didn't offend clients.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I've posted this before . . .

TOMATO JUICE IS FOR AMATEURS!

If you want to get rid of skunk odor on a dog, the magic formula is:
    • 1 Quart of Hydrogen Peroxide
    • 1/4 Cup Baking Soda
    • A few drops of dish soap

Mix just before use, and don't even think about storing it in a bottle--the bottle will explode.

I can neutralize a Newf's worth of smell with a one-quart mixture. I keep a small bag with the fixings in my pantry so everything is in one place when an olfactory emergency arises.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2574542;
    I've posted this before . . .

TOMATO JUICE IS FOR AMATEURS!

If you want to get rid of skunk odor on a dog, the magic formula is:
    • 1 Quart of Hydrogen Peroxide
    • 1/4 Cup Baking Soda
    • A few drops of dish soap

Mix just before use, and don't even think about storing it in a bottle--the bottle will explode.

I can neutralize a Newf's worth of smell with a one-quart mixture. I keep a small bag with the fixings in my pantry so everything is in one place when an olfactory emergency arises.
    NOW you tell me...

Thanks for that info... I will stock up on those supplies, too...

How do you apply? Rag, sponge, or spray bottle?

(Dollar General has/had quart sized pump up spray bottles with an adjustable nozzle... Greatest thing EVER...)

I just pour some on the dog and work it in with my hands. I use a washcloth on the face. I'd be a little leery of using a spray bottle--the chemical reaction between the baking soda and the hydrogen peroxide releases a lot of oxygen, which is why you don't want to store the mixture.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I'll have to try that mix,Newf. We don't have to deal with skunk too often but when we do we want it to work fast. Do you just allow it to dry on or do you then bath etc?

We have used vinegar and water. Give bath like normal and then mix 1 cup vinegar to one gallon warm water. Pour over dog with heavy application on sprayed areas. Lightly pat dry with towel and then let air dry. Usually we put him in his kennel cage or shut him in a room with out upholstered furniture. It works pretty quick. Definitely by the time he dries.
    Finally, after 22 years I got my honeymoon. Niagara Falls in February. Whats next the beach in December?

So Who Else has a Resident "Footloose" Hummingbird??? ;0))

I've been wanting someplace to share this story... I thought it very unusual...

We feed hummingbirds nonstop all summer (8 lbs. sugar/week), and I am fortunate enough to be able to see all 4 feeders from my computer.....

Anyway... A little over a week ago, I looked up and saw a hummer flying back and forth... It looked quite odd, enough to get me out of my chair and take a closer look... He/she/youngster was going back and forth, and not side to side as they do on occasion, and one wing looked a bit odd... I took a closer look, and saw something even odder... He seemed to be anchored to the porch roof by a spider web.... Say what??? A hummer caught in a spider web??? No WAY!!!

I went outside, and sure enough - WAY!! I gently caught him in my hands and started removing the web as best I could... He was still as could be, but I could feel his heart going a mile a minute... I picked what I could off and set him down so he could leave, he just sorta rolled over on his side with one wing still attached to his body... I picked him up again and located more webbing, while I was working on that I noticed something else...

HE HAD NO FEET!!!! I looked as closely as I could without putting him in even more trauma... He only had little nubs of something at the end of his legs/drumsticks...

Well, anyway, I got rid of the last confining web, opened my hand and he flew off at full speed.... He didn't seem to be suffering, and appeared healthy, but it must be mighty hard to roost!

The good news, I saw him clearly at the feeder yesterday, so he is well. It was funny, I had seen one sitting on the feeder rim with his wings outstretched some time ago... I thought he was just sunning... Maybe not... Maybe he was balancing...

That was a busy day, cause I rescued a box turtle from the incinerator.... I hope my karma is on the plus side for a while...

+ Reply to Thread