+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1136Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

MRD

Re: For animal lovers

Adorable pictures PK. My dogs have not been around cats much, so don't know how to behave and their instinct is to immediately give chase.

I forgot to add that Waldo goosed the vet tech today. As I've said before, he thinks his name is "Waldo-get your nose out of my butt".

But she was bending over Rosie and Waldo really got her good from behind. She must have jumped a foot. Mr. MRD said Waldo has finally proved he has some brains as she was young and cute. She was not as amused as my husband was though and she managed to keep from putting her back to Waldo again.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Stickers spits nickels... PK...'s Avatar

So, is Waldo the Newfie? I confess I haven't backtracked too far on this thread... To do so would negate any remaining slice of a life I still have...

If so, the mental pic of him goosing the vettech is priceless... We had a Golden Retriever/Irish Setter cross that took goosing to an olympic level... NO one bent over when she was around - EVEN to pick up her tennis ball to throw...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

PK those are adorable pictures. How cute is that!

Quote Originally Posted by PK...;2574081;
    My very bestest friend had a mini schnauzer for almost 20 years... They doted on one another... I don't think you could go wrong with one...

We have had BIG dogs for 20 years (several... sigh ... Their lifespan is pretty short...), but sometimes I think I would love a little one... DH says that's what cats are for...

He has a point...

Your plan to wait until you move into your new digs is sound, though there IS something to be said for housebreaking a new pet BEFORE you move into a brand new place... It cuts WAY down on the accidents on the new carpet... ACK...

I raised several litters of kittens in this place, and as a result, all the carpets were "scented", (even though I 'thought' they were using the litter box...) and it's been an uphill battle ever since... We are waiting for the never ending remodels to be finished before replacing the carpets - we may have to wait until we are "cat free"... Though Albert has just lengthened that time frame a lot! At least so far, HE is fastidious about using the litter box, or my potted plants outside...

But dang... I just can't see being without any of them...

ewww....I forgot about the potty training stuff.....on my new floors...more to think about. Maybe my daughter would just give me Nixie and that would take car of THAT....

I used to have lots of cats at our previous home (9 yrs ago).....I was the one in the neighborhood with cats all over the place... We had fields behind our house so every stray cat would come into our yard to drink out of our swimming pool. And of course if they were hungry, I couldn't let them starve ? ? ? We usually had around three cats at a time....

Speaking of starving cats......from time to time a cat has been visiting me at the other house (the one we're fixing up). It is very friendly, but starving and super skinny....so I have been leaving food out for it to eat. I don't know if it's lost, or the word got out in the new neighborhood that I'm a sucker for stray cats????? Anyway I don't know if I'm creating a problem or not. When I saw the cat dig up a piece of garbage in the ground and try to eat it, I couldn't take any more. I took off to the store and bought a plastic container of cat food......I sure hope it's the stray cat that's eating the food instead of all the neighbor's cats
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by PK...;2573903;
    Since we have both a dog and a cat door...
    Your pets are adorable. Just wondering how big the dog door has to be for Patches to fit through it? We had a termite inspector guy here a few weeks ago and he told us that he had two Great Danes and that they are trained to tuck their tails under between their legs when they are inside so they don't knock stuff off of the tables!

The water stories were funny. I bought Simon a water bowl that had a place where you could insert a two liter bottle of water and it would refill as he drank from it. He was terrified of the "Glug - Glug" noise and refused to drink.

MRD Glad to hear that your crew is healthy and that Waldo didn't puke in your car. Too funny about him goosing the vet tech.

I'm loving the pictures and the stories on this thread.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Vonna;2574155;
    ewww....I forgot about the potty training stuff.....on my new floors...more to think about. Maybe my daughter would just give me Nixie and that would take car of THAT....

I used to have lots of cats at our previous home (9 yrs ago).....I was the one in the neighborhood with cats all over the place... We had fields behind our house so every stray cat would come into our yard to drink out of our swimming pool. And of course if they were hungry, I couldn't let them starve ? ? ? We usually had around three cats at a time....

Speaking of starving cats......from time to time a cat has been visiting me at the other house (the one we're fixing up). It is very friendly, but starving and super skinny....so I have been leaving food out for it to eat. I don't know if it's lost, or the word got out in the new neighborhood that I'm a sucker for stray cats????? Anyway I don't know if I'm creating a problem or not. When I saw the cat dig up a piece of garbage in the ground and try to eat it, I couldn't take any more. I took off to the store and bought a plastic container of cat food......I sure hope it's the stray cat that's eating the food instead of all the neighbor's cats

I've always heard/read that it isn't a good idea to leave any kind of pet food out ( unsupervised ) because it attracts other critters, ... mice, skunks, squirrels for sure ... and I don't know about opossums, fox or coyote. Just a thought. Perhaps you should only feed the stray when you are there, and take it up when you leave ?

We have changing weather here, of course, and so it might be different in your area ... California right ? Here, there are critters looking for a warmer place and an assured food source. There are also more now because of the recent rain/flooding of the nearby river and forest preserves where they live, they move away from it and towards the populated areas. It's also time to start looking out for the deer crossing the roads. This is one of my fears since one walked right out in front of my car at 2 o'clock in the afternoon ! He was a BIG one, and I heard his hooves on the pavement before I saw him. The dog was in the car and we both were in a state of shock and grateful that we stopped in time and he kept going.
    Last edited by echo226; 09-16-2007 at 03:07 AM.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

MRD

Waldo is a chow/Golden Retriver mix. He's always very happy, but maybe not so smart. He's the Vinnie Barbarino of the dog world.

And he has a butt fixation apparantly. But he's very loveable and so cute that we can hardly stay mad at him.

This is Waldo and his other favorite thing to do after goosing people.

He looks so content. "I'm a lucky dog, lucky dog, lucky dog" ... even if I did get locked out one night.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Stickers spits nickels... PK...'s Avatar

Waldo looks like the perfect dog...

It must be a Golden trait to "goose"... Waldo, the Golden Goose....

I've been partial to Goldens ever since we had our Robin...

How funny about teaching the Danes to keep their tails tucked... We just Dane proof, though that doesn't negate the leg whippings we get at times...

It's all good...

ETA...

Daughter in Texas started feeding the Coons that came around... I gently suggested she shouldn't... But they loved watching them at night... That "love" lasted until they found coons in the house courtesy of THEIR cat door... It was a long battle. They live trapped and carried off, I don't know how many, until all those who knew the "secret" were gone...
    Last edited by PK...; 09-16-2007 at 08:44 AM. Reason: More information...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits. ~Mark Twain

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by PK...;2574461;
    Waldo looks like the perfect dog...

It must be a Golden trait to "goose"... Waldo, the Golden Goose....

I've been partial to Goldens ever since we had our Robin...

How funny about teaching the Danes to keep their tails tucked... We just Dane proof, though that doesn't negate the leg whippings we get at times...

It's all good...

ETA...

Daughter in Texas started feeding the Coons that came around... I gently suggested she shouldn't... But they loved watching them at night... That "love" lasted until they found coons in the house courtesy of THEIR cat door... It was a long battle. They live trapped and carried off, I don't know how many, until all those who knew the "secret" were gone...
    Well looks can be deceiving. Actually that picture does not convey his normal goofy look. He actually looks fairly non-goofy in that picture.

It's obvious you have not read back in the thread. Waldo is, well, um, a bit dopey. But we love him. I keep telling him he is a VERY lucky dog as most people would not put up with some of his behavior. Not that its horrible, but he's big and he tends to do things that we are willing to put up with that others don't. And since he was a dumped dog, I think his previous owners did not want to put up with it. But we are fairly tolerant and patient and loving so that makes up for a lot. And he's come a long way too with some of his problems since we got him. Besides, Rosie keeps him in line. She is definetly the boss of him.

He definetly has a golden's temperment and not the chow's. My parents and my brother had brother and sister Golden's and neither one of them were "goosers". Waldo thinks its great sport. I am now used to walking through the house with his nose glued to either my behind or the back of my leg. When I stop studdenly, he almost runs up my back.

I've heard other wild animal stories using the pet doors to get in. My parents had a horrible experience with frogs getting in the house through the pet door.

ETA: I love "Waldo the Golden Goose". Since that can be taken two ways and both fit.
    We can now add that to his many names: Lamont, Wally, Big, Dumb and Happy, Big Dummy, Waldo bear, The Great Waldo Pepper and the ever popular Waldo the Wonder Dog. (all names with great affection, even the Big Dummy one and no, he is NOT as dumb as he looks and acts. He is actually smarter than he lets on and he uses that to GREAT advantage! But we are finally catching on. )

Gabriel, I keep hearing that Lucky Dog commercial when I see him blundering around. That and "I'm a happy boy, hubba hubba hubba hubba hubba". I don't know who sings that. But I heard it the other day and it sure sounds like Waldo's theme song.
    Last edited by MRD; 09-16-2007 at 09:18 AM.

+ Reply to Thread