+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Sigh. My 13 year old Shih Tzu is acting really weird today. She is drinking a lot more water, and crying. I am taking her to the vet today. She has had bladder infections a long time ago, and I am hoping it can be treated with simple antibiotics and doesn't turn out to be diabetes or something. Poor baby...

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;2566498;
    Sigh. My 13 year old Shih Tzu is acting really weird today. She is drinking a lot more water, and crying. I am taking her to the vet today. She has had bladder infections a long time ago, and I am hoping it can be treated with simple antibiotics and doesn't turn out to be diabetes or something. Poor baby...
    Canuck, I'm so sorry. We'll be thinking about both of you. Please keep us posted on what happens.

We had shih tzu's when I was in highschool and afterward. The last one we had hated my husband (then boyfriend) and would run up and bite him on the ankle. He would smile through it, but later told me how much he detested that dog. She hated men. My dad was the only man she liked and him not all that much. Don't know why. We had her from 7 weeks on. But both Shih Tzu's we had were special. Well all my dogs have been special.

Anyway, hope all is well and its easily treatable for your baby.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

Oh man, I have the "Giant Burping Beast" with me today. Waldo has followed me from room to room and when I least expect it, I hear these gigantic burps come out of him. I guess its better than what it could be.

I don't think I've ever had a dog that I've heard burp before. Maybe the little ones are just quiet about it. Waldo sounds like he's just downed a 6 pack and dozen hot wings. I swear if he wore pants, he'd probably have them unbuttoned!

I hope your puppy gets better Canuck.
    I've got to put Hardy on a diet. I put him on the bathroom scales today and his fat butt weighs 23 lbs. Laurel only weighs 10. He must spend the whole day eating while I'm at work because I never see him at the food dish, least not any more than Hardy. I think I'll take him to my Weight Watchers meetings with me.

Well...the vet phoned and we talked in "spanglish". I am going to pick her up, but she has a multitude of little problems. She does have a bladder irritation (antibiotic), she is going on a diuretic for her heart, and she has some liver changes that he is giving me medication for. I'll take her back in a week or so to see how her bloodwork is. They x-rayed her as well, and I love this vet as they are so gentle with her. Basically, it sucks getting old.

Thanks for your well wishes MRD and Unk...and Unk, WOW...my little dog only weighs 12 lbs. You should check to see if Hardy has a candy bar stash somewhere .

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2566646;
    I've got to put Hardy on a diet. I put him on the bathroom scales today and his fat butt weighs 23 lbs. Laurel only weighs 10.
    HOW TO PUT YOUR CAT ON A DIET Your cat's optimal weight is its weight at one year of age - unless, of course, it was already obese. If your cat is 50 percent above optimal weight, it's time for a diet.

I think the article itself is okay, but the comment section at the bottom of the page had some good tips and advice. Mostly it just says don't do anything drastic and make sure to have your vet supervise the diet so that further health issues aren't inadverdently created.

I have issues with putting my pets on diets, though. My golden retriever is overweight, but he's a big breed and he's actually very large for the breed (not only weight, but height - he's registered but I couldn't show him because he's outside breed standards) Anyway, every time I've tried to put him on a diet, he gets so moody and starts having these awful behavior issues like begging incessantly and even snatching food off the kitchen counter. He'll pick fights with my other dog and has even chewed the corner off my coffee table! He's not unhealthy, according to the vet, but could stand to lose about 10-15 lbs for better mobility later in life. And as a good mommy, I know I should probably force the diet on him, but I find it so hard on us both that I haven't followed through. We have managed to cut all the table scraps out of his diet and have him on a healthy weight formula food, but for his activity level, he needs a lesser amount of food. He just acts like we're starving him if he gets less kibble. And even the "diet" foods don't help if he's still eating the same amount!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Took my alpha-gurl, Chloe Elizabeth, to the vet this morning because I've been noticing abdominal breathing, which is not normal. It comes after some mild exertion, but is not present all of the time, and she does not look or act sick.

She has an enlarged heart, found on x-ray, and it is significant. She has no fluid back-up in her lungs, thank goodness, but is a good candidate for the heart failure that causes that. We are trying her on a medication called Benazepril to try to reverse the enlargement, and improve her circulation by dilating her vessels. We go back in about 30 days to see if things have improved, and what our next step is. Apparently, she will always be on this current medication. Now, there is a concern about her throwing pulmonary emboli (which can come with the enlarged heart) to her back legs, which will mean the end of the treatment road. Depending on how she responds to the current medication, baby aspirin may be her next medication. She is only 6 years old, and weighs 12 pounds. I'm having a crappy day.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Aww, that's too bad shay. I hope the medication does the trick for you.

I hope the meds work, shay.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;2566659;
    Well...the vet phoned and we talked in "spanglish". I am going to pick her up, but she has a multitude of little problems. She does have a bladder irritation (antibiotic), she is going on a diuretic for her heart, and she has some liver changes that he is giving me medication for. I'll take her back in a week or so to see how her bloodwork is. They x-rayed her as well, and I love this vet as they are so gentle with her. Basically, it sucks getting old.

Thanks for your well wishes MRD and Unk...and Unk, WOW...my little dog only weighs 12 lbs. You should check to see if Hardy has a candy bar stash somewhere .
    Canuck and Prhoshay, I hope that the vet can do everything to help your babies and make them more comfortable. My thoughts are with you both still. Giving medicine to pets is like that saying about nailing jello to a tree. Mine know when the cheese has a pill in it and when it doesn't. I swear it doesn't matter how sneaky I am.
    I know how it is when your pets don't feel well. If you are like me, it hurts you as much as them.
    Best wishes to both of you and your babies

Unk, maybe Hardy's just taking after his namesake!

Remote Goddess, I'd probably chew the corner of the coffee table too if I was forced on a diet! Wait, I have been forced on a diet, good thing my coffee table is ceramic tile, can't chew that!

+ Reply to Thread