+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1418Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

MRD

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2539862;
    I've only seen a red-tailed hawk when it was being chased by hundreds (no exaggeration) of crows. It was a sight to see and hear!
    We have a hawk in the neighborhood and the day I saw it chased by dozens of crows was amazing. What noise!!!! And what pissed off crows!

We have geese here adn to see them flying and honking has been a wonder to me. I will never tire of that.

Hmm, if I could get the geese, hawk and crows to chase Waldo, we may have problem solved!

He's fairly good now about not running off, but if he's chasing a bird or squirrel, he forgets EVERYTHING else. The dog has a one track mind.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbes07;2537905;
    Thank you!

He gets himself more twisted usually..looks more dead. I find myself staring at his belly to make sure it's going up and down.

I found him like this one day, it's hard to see but his leg is draped over his eyes...such a hard life he has.

I LOVE this picture. As to the watching the belly thing, I thought I was the only one who did that!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

There is a redtail that hunts in an area on my way to the grocery store, corn and soybean fields. I always keep an eye out for him. Unfortunately, the area is rapidly being developed. Walmart and BassPro shop. Boooo

Tonight after dinner, my daughter said, "What's that bird on the back fence?" It was a hawk, but not a redtail. I didn't get a real good look, but I think it was a sharpshinned, which is much smaller than a redtail. We've seen it around before, feeding on mourning doves.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2540314;
    I LOVE this picture. As to the watching the belly thing, I thought I was the only one who did that!
    I don't have to watch the belly. Ours snore so loudly, they leave no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;2540337;
    There is a redtail that hunts in an area on my way to the grocery store, corn and soybean fields. I always keep an eye out for him. Unfortunately, the area is rapidly being developed. Walmart and BassPro shop. Boooo

I am the only one that sees the irony in the Bass Pro Shop running out the local wild animals????

Veejer, my great-grandmother was named Mourning because Mourning doves were cooing on the windowsill while she was being born. The home she and my great-grandfather built in 1892 is now a local historical landmark in my old hometown and is called the "Mourning Glory" in her honor. And it was spelled with the U in the name.

I used to joke that since her name was Mourning and my grandfather on the other side's middle name was Early, that if we had another daughter, we'd have to name her Early Mourning.

We have SOOOO many birds here. I love to sit outside andlisten to them and watch the robins going for worms. There are so many trees here in Greenville, that we have a huge bird population and I just love it.
    Last edited by MRD; 08-22-2007 at 11:20 PM.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

A pet loving friend of mine sent this to me...
    Naturally I reading it...sad and comforting at the same time....

Dog's Purpose, from a 4-year-old's perspective

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle. I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer.

I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for four-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion.

We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.

Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why." Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life-- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?" The four-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

bbnbama: I cried too. What a great perspective for such a young child though!

My niece got a bunny rabbit when she was about 2. A few years later, I took her to a pet store. We saw this big cage full of bunnies and I asked her if any of those bunnies looked like HER bunny. She gave me a big smile and then screeched at the top of her lungs "MY bunny is in HEAVEN"..... I had no idea that the bunny had died and I was speechless (for once). Everyone else in the store started laughing and one man offered to buy my niece a new bunny. She said she'd rather have a dog.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Hobbes07: What wonderful photos of your adorable kitty!

veejer: I love when birds sing. Darn big business!

doxie: Yes, someone enter their pet!!

bbnbama: What a wonderful story. Great cartoon!

I just saw this on the net. Would you take this course? I would like to hear what Kreskin says. I thought he had died.

NEW YORK (Reuters Life!) - To know a cat, you must walk a mile in its paws, say animal behaviorists running a training school in New York where cat owners get to behave like their animals to understand them better.

The "Acatemy" is offering cat owners various classes such as "cat-isthenics" where you exercise like a cat, climbing on oversized scratchers and batting an oversized ball of yarn, and "cat-napping" where you curl up on a bean bag and snooze.

../more

Cat lovers take on feline roles to know their pets | Lifestyle | Living | Reuters
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

You guys, my daughter showed me the funniest site after I showed her the picture of Hobbes07's kitty sleeping.

It's
    I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

I have sat here and laughed and laughed at all the funny pictures and captions.

And Hobbes, my daughter says you need to submit that pic of your kitty with his leg over his face sleeping to this site.

Oh, we are in a state here this morning. My daughter who NEVER gets up early, got up early this morning and decided to take Waldo for a walk. Well he runs out of the door dragging the leash and she is behind him, but can't catch up as he manages to stay just out of her reach. She finally got the leash and off they went and apparantly he was a horribly bad boy on the walk and she is now royally upset and somehow its all MY fault. As I was on the computer (except to watch the capture of Waldo and the leash), I don't understand why its my fault.

I don't understand why he can be such a good boy and then all of a sudden, he's a acting like a bratty 3 year old who can't be good. And of course, he has no remorese for his actions as he's sitting here staring at me with his goofy grin like Vinnie Barbarino: "What?".
    It's like he has this limited supply of good behavior and about once a week, he just HAS to act out because he can't stand being a good boy anymore.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

"Ms. I'm-So-Bad Stalker Kitty" was up in the window for her morning feeding yesterday, and there was a loud crack (definitely not a clap) of thunder. Baby Gurl's feet were off and running before she even realized it!! I say that because I started laughing, and called her name only once, and she immediately ran back into the bathroom and pounced into the window...back to what she was doing!

These critters crack me up!! Bought a new laser pointer yesterday because everybody is just getting waaay tooo complacent around here. Time to shake things up! Only 2 of them will play with it, though, the other just looks at you like you are crazy.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread