+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1141Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Yeah! - Mine just looks at flies then back at me like- "You want me to do WHAT?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;2514704;
    We just had 10 cm of snow (about 4 inches) which is unheard of for this area. My son made a snowman, and my Mastiff ate the head off of it, and pulverized the body with her paws...it sounds frightening, but it was pretty funny to watch since she is like an overgrown pup, and had never seen snow before.
    OMGosh! DId you take photos!? It's been cold but rainy here- low of 38 tonight .
    ---------------

It's my little Gracie-kins 9th birthday today! I vividly remember the day she was born. I had checked on her mom (who was at my ex's house) and was heading home. Mom meowed and looked me straight in the eye and told me she was having her kittens NOW and I was not to go home. So I ran up the stairs and sure enough the kittens were coming! I made her a nice little nesting spot and Gracie was born along with a sister and 2 brothers, all 20 minutes apart. I spent the next 12 weeks by their side, making sure they all got enough to eat and were strong and healthy. Gracie stole my heart with her pretty markings and her little purrs.

She's still a tiny little thing with a very big voice! I love her so much
    Last edited by misskitty; 08-10-2007 at 02:12 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

lei
    FORT Fogey

to the sweet and beautiful Gracie!!!

I haven't been here since someone made me feel uncomfortable about having kittens. I'm not trying to change minds - you certainly haven't changed mine. We are haing a blast with the ones we have now. I just wanted to note that every single person who has answered the ad for kittens has said they've been desperately looking for a kitten for months and there aren't any around(and as usual we have had 20 calls for 3 kittens). Whoever it was that blasted me, I hope you think for a minute that if somebody wasn't having kittens and puppies, you wouldn't have your precious pets.
    Count your blessings!

Gut - I'm glad there's someone that takes care of the little kitties. I hope your three find absolutely wonderful homes and people to take care of.

MRD

Waldo is a fly catcher extrodinare. He is very good at it.

He's got a tongue like a frog and its constantly in motion.

My daughter has been singing to him from an old Aerosmith song; Janie's got a gun. But in her version: Waldo's got a tongue.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

For anyone who cares...new season of Meerkat Manor starts tonight at 8:30 p.m. (EST) Review of last season starts at 8:00!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I never watched Meerkat Manor, but I did see some commercials for it last night. They're adorable!

Hi MRD! Welcome back!
    Gut: I'm glad that your kittens all found wonderful homes.
    lei: Gracie want's to know if you want a piece of black forest (ham) cake??
    prhoshay: I don't think I get Meerkat Manor, but if they are kats I'm sure I'd like it!
    ------------------
    Our two beautiful red panda babies are now out of the danger zone! Do you have any ideas for names? There's a contest.

Rare red pandas pass critical milestone

Animal health technologist Dandy Helliker introduces the Valley Zoo's new month-old red panda cubs.
    Photograph by : John Lucas/Edmonton Journal

EDMONTON — Animal health technician Sandy Helliker is quick to deflect the praise she deserves for the sleepless nights she’s spent on the couch to be near the Edmonton’s rare red panda cubs.

“Nobody can do as good a job as mom does,” she said today, as the Valley Zoo showed off the fuzzy pair, now with open eyes and a growing curiosity in the world around them. “There is always concern when there is something that small that you have to raise.”

The cubs, born June 26 and growing like weeds, now weigh about five times their birth weights of about 150 grams.

But their first month of life was critical, as one was treated with antibiotics for an infection, and they had to be fed with tubes into their stomachs to avoid sucking a special milk formula into their tiny lungs.

“For the full period I’ve had them, that was probably of the most concern to me,” she said.

The zoo is now confident they will survive and is asking for public help to name the pair, tentatively believed to be a smaller male and slightly larger female. Entries can be submitted electronically to attractions@edmonton.ca. The winner will receive a family pass to the zoo and an change to meet the cubs.

Helliker currently feeds them by bottle and is more than happy to say they now allow her about seven hours of sleep a night. Their earlier schedule demanded feeds every three hours.

The rare red pandas, of the styani subspecies, are considered the most genetically diverse and therefore most important cubs of their species in North America. Other cubs were also born this year at zoos in Winnipeg and Calgary.

They are all part of an international breeding program that should eventually reintroduce red pandas into Himalayan forests in India, Nepal and China.

Helliker said the cubs will soon move from being bottle fed to drinking milk from a bowl. After that, they will start eating biscuits soaked with formula and she expects them to be weaned by the time they are about 4 1/2 years old.

At that time they will begin a life-long diet of bamboo from the Muttart Conservatory, fruits and vegetables. Though carnivorous by classification, the pandas will be vegetarian in practice.

Eventually, they will live in a specially designed enclosure that was renovated when their seven-year-old parents, about the size and shape of raccoons, came from a zoo in Japan. The facility has both indoor and outdoor areas for the animals, separate quarters for males and females, and monitoring cameras.

Hellicker is careful not to bond too closely with the cubs. The zookeepers will try to ensure they maintain wild behaviours because they will be expected to breed with red pandas at other zoos.

But as Helliker holds the babies, it’s evident she’s as enthralled by their development as any mother, surrogate or not. She said the cubs are beginning to stand on their own and she’s waiting for their tentative first steps.

“One is a little more outgoing that the other, but they are still going to change a lot,” she said. “I find this very rewarding.”

Rare red pandas pass critical milestone
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

lei
    FORT Fogey

misskitty - Please thank Gracie for me! And of course I want cake!

ETA: Those pandas are adorable.

+ Reply to Thread