Like Tree1387Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

lei
    FORT Fogey

Re: For animal lovers

They are absolutely darling, misskitty!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I remember seeing a man in his front yard with a bunch of tiny, brown Yorkie puppies. They looked like a bunch of little swirling leaves, and were causing traffic to back up!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Those puppies are just too cute!

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2513153;
    I could never rent-a-pet. Even though the pets are well-trained and taken care of, it's still a money-making idea. But then again, so is breeding and showing dogs.
    misskitty, I love you dearly but you are misinformed. The show-breeders that I know (many!) do not expect to turn a profit by breeding; they are trying to improve their breed. With all of the pre-and post-natal care, the health clearances involved, and the cost of raising puppies until they are adoped out, there is very little money left over, especially when it happens that there is a small litter (My Gustav was from a litter of two.) One of my Newf friends (who had the #5 Newf in the country at the time of the conversation) said that he took all of the bills and receipts and what-not from the breeding program to his tax accountant. The CPA added it all up and told my friend that he didn't need that big of a tax deduction.

As for showing, I suppose that show superintentents make a profit; the vendors at the big shows probably come out OK; those showing their dogs don't make money at shows. Only rarely is there prize money (usually only in sweepstake matches, which are generally for puppies and veterans, not "regular" show dogs) and the size of the prize is often less than the entry fee.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

This may be the case for show-breeders (and in this department I gladly defer to you, as clearly you are far more experienced and knowledgable than I) or for the right sorts of breeders in general - those who truly care for the animals and their quality of life. But around here, we see mass-breeding/selling for all sorts of breeds, without the same standars you are talking about. It seems, also, that the "designer breeds" have taken over and people are buying animals strictly to produce as many puppies as possible, as quickly as possible, simply to sell them for as much as possible... As you know, these "designer breeds" aren't registered or recognized, so they're basically considered mixed mutts, but sell for around $600-1000 per dog. Cockapoos, Peekapoos, Labradoodles, etc. Most seem to be mixed with a standard or mini-poodle, to get that non-shedding, hypoallergenic quality that many find so desirable. They're adorable, truly, and I'd love a peekapoo, but I refuse to support what I call puppy-mills. There are far too many abandoned dogs in the shelters for me to be able to justify it. These are the sorts of breeders that I think of in reference to misskitty's remark, not show breeders or someone who is truly interested in their animals' future or that of the breed.

The boys are having a blast. There's a fly in the house. Protect me from the evil fly my sons.

We just had 10 cm of snow (about 4 inches) which is unheard of for this area. My son made a snowman, and my Mastiff ate the head off of it, and pulverized the body with her paws...it sounds frightening, but it was pretty funny to watch since she is like an overgrown pup, and had never seen snow before.

Newf: I am so sorry if I offended you. I did not mean breeders who follow guidelines and sell puppies to welcoming homes. Thank you for edumucating me! I still love you dearly too!

remotegoddess: Yes, what you said is more of what I meant. I hate puppy mills, or kitty mills, or any kind of wild animal importing and such.

Unk: Did the boys successfully save you from the nasty fly?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;2514704;
    We just had 10 cm of snow (about 4 inches) l
    That would be wonderful right now.
    Yep misskitty, I was saved from the evil fly. I can sleep tonight.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Thank goodness for our beloved pets to save us from flies and snowmen!

+ Reply to Thread