"You darling beast! Just cut it out!"
    But morning's here and it's time to play
    I always seem to get my way.

So thank you, Lord, for giving me
    This human person that I see
    The one who hugs and holds me tight
    and shares her bed with me at night!

- Author unknown
    This was so like Buddy last night! He weighs 66 pounds but he's heavier when limp and sleepy! Thanks for sharing that!

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Re: For animal lovers

Thanks everyone for the answers to my questions about worms. I called the vet Friday and he had an opening Saturday morning for all three of my furry buddies. The dogs were fine - healthy and happy and now (again) dipped for fleas. (That is one thing, among many, I will not miss about my old house! One more week till the movers come and my neighbor's fleas can overtake the yard for all I care.)

My kitty, however, seems to be having some urinary tract problems that the vet seemed worried about. I hadn't noticed anything wrong with her - she seemed her normal, vociferous, loving self. But she was dehydrated and had some sort of crystal-blockage building up. He thinks it may have something to do with her food, so we're trying a new wet food and a medication to help break up the blockage - which was not a complete blockage, thank goodness. The vet said that is a more serious probelm, but normally occurs with males. Anyway, they had to hydrate her with an IV and took samples for further tests to make sure there are no kidney problems that have cropped up since her last check-up... I am really worried because we close on the new house today and the vet mentioned we should avoid anything stress-causing for her for a while so she can recouperate. Any tips for helping keep her calm with the move/settling in at the new house? She hates her carrier, so crating her is not really preferred.

lei
    FORT Fogey

rg - I'm sorry your kitty is having a problem. For what it's worth, my understanding is that UTIs are fairly common and usually easily treated amongst females. Rainey had it for a few years but a steady diet of specialized food (it happened to be dry, but it comes in wet as well) worked for her and then she didn't need it for many years following. I hope yours will do just as well. As to keeping her calm, besides being as comforting and reassuring as you undoubtedly are, I wonder if a very small dose of some medication might be helpful, unless the vet is concerned about it effecting her kidneys. Might be worth asking.

I'm glad you got the fleas handled, at least.

Good luck to you and your babies.

doxie - Your bath story is so cute, how they think they're being clever in hiding.

Joey had a bad urinary tract blockage when he was 5 yrs old, which was at the high end of when boys usually get it. A few more hours and he would have exploded his bladder.

But anyway we did get that treated after a very tense weekend at the emergency hospital and me staying one night to just hold him in my lap in a chair next to the cage they had for him. The food he has been on is IAMS wet, IAMS dry, Merricks wet and thats about it.

He wouldn't touch the stuff the vet had me take home.

The thing to look for in the guaranteed analysis is Magnesium not more than 0.025%, I mean you can go somewhat higher but that is the ideal.
    The urine needs to be kept acidic to keep the crystals from forming.
    Oh my just thinking about this, made me remember the weekend and Monday he was gone from home and Mona, rest her soul, was running around playing by herself all weekend.

He came home and she stopped playing, just stopped and GLARED at him. She liked being an only child, as does Joey now.

You should google Merricks cat food and see the mouth watering descriptions they have for the wet food. With names like Ocean Breeze, California Roll, New England feast, Grannys Pot Pie, Cowboy Supper Turducken etc., how can you go wrong?
    Last edited by just1paul; 08-06-2007 at 08:24 PM.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2508342;
    ....With names like Ocean Breeze, California Roll, New England feast, Grannys Pot Pie, Cowboy Supper Turducken etc., how can you go wrong?....

I've always loved the fancy names they give cat food. As if.

remote goddess: I'm so sorry to hear your kitty is not well. My little Gracie had an infection with crystals and needed some antibiotics...ie...Pills! She was all better after that! I hope your furry one feels better soon

Livin4Reality: That's a great poem; I shall share with doggie owners I know!

lei: Oooooo I just love it when you post pictures of Theodorable! I want his toesies too! What a beautiful color of pink they are!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Here are a few pictures of our Beasts before/during/after their baths last night. They did NOT enjoy this experience. They both hate baths and love to hide.

The fourth picture is Simon barking because he does not like baths OR having his photo taken!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

lei
    FORT Fogey

doxie - Your "Beasts" are just the cutest things ever.

Poor sweet babies.

Lei Thank you - our wet, soapy Beasts from the earlier pictures are now dry and still angry a day later! Most dogs (and cats) avoid getting a bath, but our two take it to the extreme. We have to chase them and play hide and seek with them to get them into the tub! They both sulk for days afterwards. They have this "Why did you do that to me?" look in their eyes". At least they smell better!!!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

doxie, your babies are too funny and too cute! It's amazing how much like children they can be.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread