+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1140Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Roses and Christiii: How wonderful your photos of your babies!! They are all so adorable and lovable! I just want to hug them all !

lei: I'm glad little Theodorable is doing better.

----------------
    Both Mr. Tootles and Gracie seem to have lost some weight during our hot spell. They don't eat much but they are drinking a lot which is good. And I've thinned out their coats a bit which must help too. I'm so glad to be home with them once again to cater to their every (and often) whim!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2503823;
    Roses and Christiii: How wonderful your photos of your babies!! They are all so adorable and lovable! I just want to hug them all !

lei: I'm glad little Theodorable is doing better.

----------------
    Both Mr. Tootles and Gracie seem to have lost some weight during our hot spell. They don't eat much but they are drinking a lot which is good. And I've thinned out their coats a bit which must help too. I'm so glad to be home with them once again to cater to their every (and often) whim!
    And just how Mr. Tootles recovering from his near escape recently? Still wanting to go outdoors?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Question - talking to my neighbor last night and she said she recently had to de-worm her dogs. Just a comment in passing conversation that didn't really stick with me. But today, in a different conversation with my boss about her dogs needing the same treatment, I mentioned it about my neighbor's dogs. My boss said I need to "check my dogs" because it's a parasite that spreads.

Okay, call me stupid if you must, but what exactly do I need to be checking? Should I just book them a visit to the vet? And what about my kitty? Sorry to sound so ingnorant about it, but none of my pets have ever had anything like this before, so...

RG, the best way to tell is to take a stool sample to your vet, but here's a site I found that has some symptoms to look for. Here's another.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2503990;
    Question - talking to my neighbor last night and she said she recently had to de-worm her dogs. Just a comment in passing conversation that didn't really stick with me. But today, in a different conversation with my boss about her dogs needing the same treatment, I mentioned it about my neighbor's dogs. My boss said I need to "check my dogs" because it's a parasite that spreads.

Okay, call me stupid if you must, but what exactly do I need to be checking? Should I just book them a visit to the vet? And what about my kitty? Sorry to sound so ingnorant about it, but none of my pets have ever had anything like this before, so...
    I don't know if you can check your dog's droppings yourself (I've heard that the worms can be quite large), but we have to take samples of the boys' stool to the vet for them to check. Oh yeah, the boys are cats if anyone didn't know .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Yikes. I have two dogs and one cat and we're moving next week (New house! Yippee!), so I definitely want to make sure everyone is healthy and happy and we're not bringing over yucky parasites to the new place. My boss said some of these can be spread by fleas, even to humans, so I am really freaked out right now. We've had a hard time with the fleas in my yard this year. I take the boys (dogs) regularly to be dipped and groomed, and I have the yard treated, but my neighbor doesn't. She has two Samoyeds that stay outside all the time and I never see her groom them at all, or to my knowlegde treat the yard.

Thanks for your advise and the links, everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2503990;

I think it depends on what kind of worms your neighbor and boss are talking about. Some don't show up on the slides of the stool sample. Tapeworms are from fleas and you can usually see them in the feces or (and I know this will sound gross) attached to the anal area.

Hookworms will show up in the stool sample (but you won't visibly be able to see them yourself) and will need treatment but can be avoided in the future with the monthly heartworm pill.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2504115;
    ....Tapeworms are from fleas and you can usually see them in the feces or (and I know this will sound gross) attached to the anal area....
    and, if those are the kind my kitties used to get when they had fleas, they'd occasionally be found on sofas etc. They look like grains of rice but they move. I know, ew.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Theodore is beginning to master the FDC position! Here he is showing off for his FORT Aunties and Uncles:

And, as it has been a while, here is one that shows his face, maturing:

But don't be fooled by these serene moments. Mister Kissyface Shmuglump can be crazy, he tumbles his big strong brothers to the ground, they're very tolerant. The whole family adores him.
    Last edited by lei; 08-05-2007 at 05:03 AM.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Still precious!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread