+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1429Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Thank you, gabriel and lei. We think they're pretty darn special, and actually as we're excitedly preparing for our getaway this Saturday, I'm experiencing some sadness at the thought of leaving them home. Now for some venting...for months now I've had a 17-year-old neighbor set up to feed them, lock them inside for the night, etc. and two weeks ago when I confirmed this, she informed me she forgot, and won't be able to do it because her family will be in Italy. I had even talked to her mother about it several months ago, so you can imagine how annoyed I am. I've been scrambling trying to find another neighbor kid who wants to earn some easy money, but no dice - damn kids and their summer vacations. Fortunately my next-door neighbor has come to the rescue, and since she's refusing to let me pay her, you can bet somewhere along our trip I'll be buying something very special for her.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Oh, Roses, I'm so glad you found someone to do the job! I can imagine how frustrating that was (and maybe a blessing in disguise, since she didn't remember and honor her agreement, maybe she wasn't the most reliable.)

I (like everyone here, I'm guessing) completely understand the sadness of leaving babies at home. Thank goodness you have someone good to care for them.

If I don't "see" you before then, have a wonderful trip!!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've seen several teenagers on Judge Judy, who were supposed to take care of the animals when the neighbors went on vacation. It seldom seemed to work out well. Probably better to get a responsible adult to handle the job. And I know that all teenagers are not created from the same mold, but it is like leaving your children with somebody who may not be ready for the responsibility of caring for living beings on an everyday basis. I would think that a retiree would be a good choice, if possible.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I have adult kids at home who I have managed to bully into watching their 'little brother' when we go away.
    but that will be ending soon as they are starting to move away.

I asked the Vet for a recommendation of a dog sitter - yeah, it will cost me - but I don't think I could take ever putting my 'youngest' in a kennel, as he has never been in one.
    I want him in his home. We have an Australian Cattle Dog, too smart for his own good. Get him within 40 feet of the Vet's office and he starts shaking and whimpering. I don't think he could manage a kennel.

BTW, I am not like Amber. I love my dog, but definitely not like my kids (although sometimes a kennel seemed like a good idea for them)

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid;2500440;
    Thank you, gabriel and lei. We think they're pretty darn special, and actually as we're excitedly preparing for our getaway this Saturday, I'm experiencing some sadness at the thought of leaving them home. Now for some venting...for months now I've had a 17-year-old neighbor set up to feed them, lock them inside for the night, etc. and two weeks ago when I confirmed this, she informed me she forgot, and won't be able to do it because her family will be in Italy. I had even talked to her mother about it several months ago, so you can imagine how annoyed I am. I've been scrambling trying to find another neighbor kid who wants to earn some easy money, but no dice - damn kids and their summer vacations. Fortunately my next-door neighbor has come to the rescue, and since she's refusing to let me pay her, you can bet somewhere along our trip I'll be buying something very special for her.
    We are in the reverse situation. Some friends from church live about five houses away and we've (myself and the two teens and occasionally mr. veejer) watched their dog before when they've been out of town. He can't be left loose in the house because he'll tear up the furniture, but he is crate trained. We go over 3-4 times a day and either let him out for awhile in the backyard or take him for a walk. When he is let out, he has to be on a lead even though their yard is fenced as he is a cairn terrier and should be called Houdini. She casually mentioned at church on Sunday that they were going out of town and could we watch him. I said I'll call you so that I can look at my calendar. They are leaving tomorrow for a week and she didn't line anyone up until Sunday!!!! She dropped off the key while I was gone today and then called later to say that they hadn't bothered to stop the mail and could we put it on the kitchen table. I don't mind doing it for free, but they've never offered to pay us anything, nor brought us a souvenir. I guess we're being taken advantage of, but he is a cute little thing and I'd hate for him to have to stay in a kennel.

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;2501066;
    ...She casually mentioned at church on Sunday that they were going out of town and could we watch him. I said I'll call you so that I can look at my calendar. They are leaving tomorrow for a week and she didn't line anyone up until Sunday!!!! She dropped off the key while I was gone today and then called later to say that they hadn't bothered to stop the mail and could we put it on the kitchen table. I don't mind doing it for free, but they've never offered to pay us anything, nor brought us a souvenir. I guess we're being taken advantage of, but he is a cute little thing and I'd hate for him to have to stay in a kennel.
    That really is pretty tacky of her. We have a friend up the road who comes twice a day (on his way to work and on his way home) to feed the boys and let them out in the morning, shut them in at night. I don't pay him, per se, but the boys give him a thank you gift of a bottle of Glen Livet and a $200 gift certificate to HMV (record store) for a week's worth of daily freedom and starvation prevention.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;2501066;
    I guess we're being taken advantage of, but he is a cute little thing and I'd hate for him to have to stay in a kennel.
    You guess? That's rather presumptuous on her part, and makes me wonder about some people. I can't imagine being so cavalier about someone else's good nature, but it's good to know you are so concerned about the dog's welfare you're willing to step up. Thank God for people like you.

My neighbor came over today to get the key and some instructions, and actually said she was happy to be able to "pay us back" because they travel quite a bit and I take care of her mail, watering indoor plants, that sort of thing. They're wonderful neighbors who always include us in their family celebrations, even her mother's 80th birthday party a few weeks ago. We're very lucky.

Rattus, that's cute the boys get the gifts for your friend.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

lei
    FORT Fogey

veejer - I agree that it's tacky. I just can't imagine treating people that way, especially when you're saving them the cost of boarding. What boggles my mind as much as her presumption and lack of appreciation is that she didn't set this all up well in advance. When Mr. lei and I go off-island, out babies' care is the very first thing I set up. What if you were gonna be away too? Ahh well, this is why I often prefer 4-leggeds.

LEI- How is Mr. Theodore shmuglump doing?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2502126;
    LEI- How is Mr. Theodore shmuglump doing?
    He's doing really well thank you, and he sends his love to his Uncle Gabe and Cousin Joey!

ETA: I was asked by our Volunteer Coordinator to write a story about our Pet Therapy program for the next shelter newsletter. I've already taken some really sweet photos of the seniors with kitties and doggies. I'm pretty excited about it!
    Last edited by lei; 08-03-2007 at 04:12 AM.

+ Reply to Thread