+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1418Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Lei I missed your posts. I'm so glad to hear your baby is going to be okay, although I would have passed out over that bill! You're right though - you do what you have to do for them.

I just got back from the vet with my little Suki. She's been diagnosed with a condition called Stomatitis, which is basically a severe inflammation of the gums. It looks like she might actually have lost some teeth as well. She's been a little touchy around her mouth for a little while, but had gotten better. Then, Thursday night, I heard her yelp like she'd been stepped on. By Friday morning, she wasn't eating and she was drooling and giving out little yelp-y cries, which made me cry too. I was finally able to get in to the vet today and it looks like we'll be going in for another visit to have her teeth checked. Of course, they'll put her under and charge me some HUGE amount of money, but if she gets better, it'll be worth it. They may have pull at least one tooth out since it looked pretty bad. I felt so bad for her and I wish she was the kind of cat to let you brush her teeth, but she just isn't.

*SIGH* Has anyone else had a cat with Stomatitis? From what I've read (and I had to stop reading because it was freaking me out!), it isn't curable, but it can be managed.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

lei
    FORT Fogey

Thank you so much, ladies, for your kind thoughts.

Critical - While I don't think it was caused by Stomatis, I have and have had kitties with dental problems (they also took very poorly to brushing.) Our Daphne apparently has a genetic problem and after multiple losses and extractions she has only two teeth left. I felt terrible at first but I have also learned that kitties can do very well without teeth (much better than with diseased teeth or gums.)

The extractions are costly but once they're done they're done. (I appreciate your empathy over our bill, by the way. I just sent a very warm and appreciate email to our vets office, thanking them for all their wonderful care, and politely addressing our concern that the bill was so much more than the estimate and we imagine it was an oversight but in the future would they please call to check in along the way...)

So again as I don't know the disease, I do know that cats do well without teeth, so please don't worry about that part per se. What's bad is when the tooth is hurting or the gums or nerves are diseased.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Suki that you get through this as painlessly as possible for her and as inexpensively as possible for you. Please keep us posted.

ETA: I should clarify that I'm not suggesting that extractions are the answer, and I do hope that Suki can keep her teeth. I was just making a point about kitty toothlessness in general, if that's what happens. And, I also learned, it makes them more likely for kitties to stick their tongues out, by the way.
    Last edited by lei; 07-28-2007 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks, lei. Our vet also talked about how well cats can do without many teeth. The info I read indicated that treatment for Stomatitis often involves removal of all teeth behind the canines. My only concern with that is that, since she was a little, bitty thing, she's only wanted one kind of food - Nutro Lite kibble. Won't eat anything else. I tried canned food with her the other day and Jasper ended up gobbling it up after she turned her nose up at it. I also soaked some of her kibble in water, hoping that she'd go for that. No deal. I'm hoping the steroids will reduce the swelling enough for her to eat without too much pain until we go through the dental work.

I guess she'll just adapt to the changes in her mouth. As long as they can get the condition under control and keep her from being in so much pain, I'll be happy. One of these days I'll post a pic of her, although she is the most un-photogenic cat in the world. Gorgeous, long-haired black beauty in person, but possessed demon cat on film
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2493580;
    ....I guess she'll just adapt to the changes in her mouth. As long as they can get the condition under control and keep her from being in so much pain, I'll be happy. One of these days I'll post a pic of her, although she is the most un-photogenic cat in the world. Gorgeous, long-haired black beauty in person, but possessed demon cat on film
    Sounds like you have a realistic view on things. I know it's hard when it's your baby. Again I wish you both the best.

Hey, a bunch of us know how hard it is to get good pictures of black kitties. But I'm sure I speak for many that we want to see the possessed demon cat anyway.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems with Daphne Crit. Hopefully it will work out for you.

Critical; I'm so sorry to hear that your little Suki is sick. I hope that the dentist can help her with her pain and she is able to find something she likes to eat!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Oops, I got the wrong name Crit. That's what happens after a 12 hour work day. Tell Suki I'm so sorry and I certainly hope she gets better soon.

Critical, I'm sorry to hear of your kitty's problems. I hope things get taken care of and she starts feeling better. That in turn will make you feel better.

My neighbor had a cat (Zoe), and she had to have all her teeth pulled because of decaying teeth/bad gums (something that is a problem with that breed of Siamese cats). Zoe ate hard food with no teeth and never had a problem with it. She, too, wouldn't eat soft food. I couldn't believe she could gum that hard food, but she did.

Premium Member

If my little Dolly every lost her teeth I don't think she would have a problem because she pretty much swallows her food whole anyway. She is quite the little eater.

It's always great to have new faces who love reality tv and animals, so taracran!

Lei, again let me say it's good to know Theodore is home where he belongs. I had a black lab who had to have emergency stomach surgery a very long time ago, and I think my vet kept me apprised along the way as to the increasing costs as more and more tests/procedures were being done. I hope your vet will consider doing that next time for his patients.

My dear friend, Crit, I'm sorry to hear about Suki. It's so hard to hear our pets cry and know we can't immediately take their pain away. I hope she deals with the teeth removal as well as SweetViolet's neighbor. Please keep us posted as to how she gets along.

Barley
    , Dolly is just adorable, and it sounds like she eats like Howard. We joke we should have named him Hoover because he practically sucks his bowl clean in about two minutes flat. Maggie, on the other hand, delicately eats one little kernel at a time, leaving half her food to nibble on throughout the day. Howard knows better than to eat it, but if we go out, and I forget to put her bowl up out of reach, all bets are off, he calls dibs on it and polishes it off. How do I know this? I pretended to leave one day, sneaked around the back and peeked through the window. Yep, I'm one of those wacky kind of neighbors.

Unk, as always, seeing your pictures put a smile on my face, and I got a kick out of SweetViolet noting that your suitcase looked like it was just about in the same place.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread