+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1418Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Re: For animal lovers

OMG Unk I have been laughing hysterically at that picture!!! Too freakin' funny!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Leo
    Premium Member

Anyone saw this story?

www.kansascity.com | 07/27/2007 | Oscar the cat predicts patients' deaths

Oscar the cat predicts patients' deaths
    By RAY HENRY
    Associated Press Writer

Oscar the cat seems to have an uncanny knack for predicting when nursing home patients are going to die, by curling up next to them during their final hours. His accuracy, observed in 25 cases, has led the staff to call family members once he has chosen someone. It usually means they have less than four hours to live.

"He doesn't make too many mistakes. He seems to understand when patients are about to die," said Dr. David Dosa in an interview. He describes the phenomenon in a poignant essay in Thursday's issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.

"Many family members take some solace from it. They appreciate the companionship that the cat provides for their dying loved one," said Dosa, a geriatrician and assistant professor of medicine at Brown University.

The 2-year-old feline was adopted as a kitten and grew up in a third-floor dementia unit at the Steere House Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. The facility treats people with Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease and other illnesses.

After about six months, the staff noticed Oscar would make his own rounds, just like the doctors and nurses. He'd sniff and observe patients, then sit beside people who would wind up dying in a few hours.

Dosa said Oscar seems to take his work seriously and is generally aloof. "This is not a cat that's friendly to people," he said.

Oscar is better at predicting death than the people who work there, said Dr. Joan Teno of Brown University, who treats patients at the nursing home and is an expert on care for the terminally ill

She was convinced of Oscar's talent when he made his 13th correct call. While observing one patient, Teno said she noticed the woman wasn't eating, was breathing with difficulty and that her legs had a bluish tinge, signs that often mean death is near.

Oscar wouldn't stay inside the room though, so Teno thought his streak was broken. Instead, it turned out the doctor's prediction was roughly 10 hours too early. Sure enough, during the patient's final two hours, nurses told Teno that Oscar joined the woman at her bedside.

Doctors say most of the people who get a visit from the sweet-faced, gray-and-white cat are so ill they probably don't know he's there, so patients aren't aware he's a harbinger of death. Most families are grateful for the advanced warning, although one wanted Oscar out of the room while a family member died. When Oscar is put outside, he paces and meows his displeasure.

No one's certain if Oscar's behavior is scientifically significant or points to a cause. Teno wonders if the cat notices telltale scents or reads something into the behavior of the nurses who raised him.

Nicholas Dodman, who directs an animal behavioral clinic at the Tufts University Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine and has read Dosa's article, said the only way to know is to carefully document how Oscar divides his time between the living and dying.

If Oscar really is a furry grim reaper, it's also possible his behavior could be driven by self-centered pleasures like a heated blanket placed on a dying person, Dodman said.

Nursing home staffers aren't concerned with explaining Oscar, so long as he gives families a better chance at saying goodbye to the dying.

Oscar recently received a wall plaque publicly commending his "compassionate hospice care."

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I saw that same story in our local paper the other day! That is so interesting....I personally would be very comforted that a cat would climb up there and keep one of my family members company while they cross over to the other side.

Oscar is a very special cat indeed!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I think this story is wonderful. To be honest, when it's my time I would rather have a furry critter laying there, than having people standing around crying.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I just came across this forum today and I will be visiting it regularly. I am an animal lover and the mother to 4 cats of my own, 1 stray that adopted me, and 1 that came with my boyfriend when he moved in 3 months ago.

Some of the stories here really touched me. I laughed and cried . I am so sorry to hear of everyones losses, I don't know what I would do. I thought that I lost my oldest girl (shes 11) in December when she got out and I couldn't find her. She was raised as an indoor cat and never really had spent much time outside. She was gone for 2 days and I finally found her on the steps of a house one street over from mine. I was so happy I cried and then I spoiled her for a week!

I'm glad that I found this group and wish the best to everyone and their critters.
    A cat changes coming home to an empty house to coming home

lei
    FORT Fogey

, taracran!!! So glad you found this wonderful place, and your kitty.

I have six kitties too! Looking forward to hearing more about yours.

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2493217;
    OMG Unk I have been laughing hysterically at that picture!!! Too freakin' funny!
    Me too!!! That is priceless.

Leo - Thank you for that story. And I'm totally with bb and gabe -- Oscar is a blessing indeed.

Theo's first night went well. We were actually able to have him snuggling, kissing and purring between us for a while till we had to put him away before he'd jump off the bed and be a curious kitten. We're just continually moved by waves of joy and relief. Our baby is home and healing!!!

This is not to diminish any of that joy. It's a logistical thing on which I would appreciate input. Just as the vet acknowledged that he doesn't like to, but has to, talk about money at the time treatment starts, Mr. lei and I didn't want to talk about it when we picked up our baby. We were overwhelmed by emotion and the credit card meant nothing. But it sunk in later that the estimate we signed in the beginning was for $413 and the final bill was $942. If we'd been told yesterday morning that the next few hours' "make sure he's okay" treatment would be so costly, we would still absolutely have done it. But there are many, if not most, people here who are so struggling with the cost of living that they may have had to choose, given his great outlook in the morning, to not have gotten those last several x-rays etc. so they'd have money for food or rent. I was thinking that it might be appropriate, when I bring him back for follow-up on Tuesday, to mention that while we would still have chosen to go for the full treatment, it would have been better to prepare us for the sudden jump from the estimate and knowingly choose it, as we were barely able to process it when our precious kitty was handed to us along with the bill.

I think I know that it's appropriate to mention. I guess I'm looking for nice ways to do it. Or am I totally off here? I had emergency vet services three times before and the final bill wasn't so vastly different from the estimate.

I always want the best for our babies. I just don't the vet's clients' financial situations to be taken so lightly in the future.

Anyway this is minor in the scheme of things but I would appreciate input from others. Thank you again, my wonderful FORT friends!

Queenb, I missed the pictures of your new cat. I love that sweet face!

LEI- I never gave this a thought whenever Joey or Mona went in for medical, whether it was regular or emergency. One of the times Joey went in for emergency stuff, the estimate was close to 300.00, I think the final bill was something like $600.00, but I knew that it would be higher because even though I signed off on the do anything to keep him alive (he was only 4 at the time) they would call me day & night saying this is what's happening, this is what we can do, this is about how much it is etc., and his regular doctor did the same thing when Mona was beginning to pass on. My vets always as a matter of routine let me know as they want to do something, unless of course it would have been something like CPR or whatever then of course they wouldn't call until after they did it. Maybe you could either talk to the vet and of course be thankful, but suggest that they even "up" the estimates a bit to prevent "sticker shock". As for the people that may need to juggle because of rent or whatever, my standard answer which I have been told is nasty - "If you cannot afford the care, both regular and potential - you should maybe think about not adopting furkids, fish are nice."

taracran - WELCOME! - Keep an eye on that girl! You gotta move fast fast fast when going through doors, and tell everyone else the same
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

lei
    FORT Fogey

Thank you, gabriel!

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2493352;
    ....they would call me day & night saying this is what's happening, this is what we can do, this is about how much it is etc.....My vets always as a matter of routine let me know as they want to do something"....
    Yeah, if he had just mentioned in the morning that it would be over $500 more than we expected, we would have of course agreed and not felt shocked later. That's what it boils down to, is the surprise, and that it would be nice to be informed along the way about such a huge jump, especially since they were, at that point, non-emergency procedures. I think that's how I'll address it. Nicely, of course. He already knows how grateful we are for his availability and expertise but I will reiterate.

And I agree on your "nasty" answer, too. It's tricky because people here are working three jobs and still struggling, and there are hundreds of cats being euthanized for lack of homes. But to me they are children and I accept the responsibility when I take them in.
    Last edited by lei; 07-28-2007 at 03:45 PM. Reason: clarity.

lei: YAY!! THEODORABLE IS HOME and is recuperating!!
    WOO HOOO!!!

I am so happy to hear he is doing ok. Give me many gentle kisses from Mr. Tootles and Gracie! I'm sure you feel so much better now he is at home with you. It's probably good he is a little drugged so he doesn't do too much! Awww. Poor little guy!

Unk: That is a really cute photo!

gabriel: I love photos of Joey and Mona! I saw a Joey look-a-like at the pet store and wanted to bring him home. But I couldn't so I sent blessings that he would be adopted to a good home soon!

Leo: I thought of posting that same article...I thought it was amazing! I think that Oscar is an absolute Angel for helping the patients cross over!

taracran: WELCOME to our FURRY FAMILY!!
    Last edited by misskitty; 07-28-2007 at 05:01 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread