+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1319Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2483598;
    burntbrat, not only can you get an already declawed adult cat (which will save on the $$ of having to do it yourself), but you can try to get one from a no-kill shelter that may have the policy that says if you have to get rid of the cat, that you will return the cat to them. I have 2 of those. Short of dying, I can't see ever returning my babies, but it's good knowing that they have a home to return to if they had to. I had to sign a agreement that I would only front declaw, too. Would hubby do better with a cutie-pie kitty that will steal his heart, or a wonderful adult cat with it's personality already formed? And you have to stop and think, is jealousy (on his part) going to be an issue? If jealousy is going to be an issue, the problems are bigger than just getting a cat. Good luck, and keep us posted.
    No, it's not jealousy at all. He's just not a pet person. He never had pets growing up and he thinks they stink and tear up carpets and furniture. Which they do, of course. But he thought the hamsters would stink more than they do. We've been good about keeping the cages clean and changing the bedding, and I put an air freshener in the area. So I've mentioned that and how we would be just as diligent in a litter box area. And I would love to get an adult cat that needs a home. It doesn't matter to me as long as it's not a mean cat.

He's decided that we will discuss it more because he feels bad that he got my hopes up and he shouldn't have said anything if he didn't really mean it. So maybe one of these days we'll go to a shelter just to see what they're all about and he'll see one that he likes. You know, maybe one that looks like Mike Messier or something.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Burntbrat, best of luck with that! I hope you can come to some sort of agreement with him about pets because, as you yourself already know, they are such a wonderfully important part of a family. I can't imagine life without my skoochie pooches and my little lady.

The topic earlier being pet messes, I just wanted to contribute my irritation this week with that. My boys, both large dogs, are kept downstairs, while my kitty, the little lady, has full reign upstairs. One of my dogs is too agressive and likes to get the cat into these strange holds and carry her around. I've posted about it previously, and I wish they'd all get along, but it's just not happening. SO we keep the baby-gate up at the stairs to keep the dogs away.

Well, long story short, one of the pooches knocked down the gate one day earlier this week while I was at work. And then both dogs found this delectible box of treats... And then momma comes home to retching dogs and litter-filled pools of vomit and the raunchiest smell permeating the air. Delightful.

And the kitty? Hiding under the bed for three days and not speaking to me except in long, nasty-sounding mewls that I strongly believe were kitty-curses unfit for my innocent ears. She finally emerged and treated me in what I'm sure she meant to be a peace-making manner: she pooped on my bed.

I love my pets.

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;2483995;
    He never had pets growing up and he thinks they stink and tear up carpets and furniture. Which they do, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by remote_goddess;2484107;
    The topic earlier being pet messes, I just wanted to contribute my irritation this week with that.
    burntbrat, I think you had better keep your husband away from this thread!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by burntbrat;2483995;
    No, it's not jealousy at all. He's just not a pet person. He never had pets growing up and he thinks they stink and tear up carpets and furniture. Which they do, of course.
    Quite frankly I have had dogs, cats, turtles, fish etc., as a kid and as an adult and never have had them stink and tear up carpet and furniture. Just as with 2 legged kids, the 4 legged ones learned with no yelling, hitting etc., but firm authorative NO when needed, picking up them and putting them down off of things that we did not want them on etc. (except of course the fish & turtles who did not roam the house)
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly723;2479519;
    Lei, my favorite cousin, you mentioned in a previous post that when you pick out a kitty, you usually try to pick one that has something wrong with it....Sorry I keep posting these boring stories, like the one earlier about how much I love Harley, I never mean to write them, something just kind of comes over me!
    Darling cousin, indeed I have a soft spot for underdogs (and cats). When it's time to adopt I just open up my intuition and let the sweetness grab me. It just happened that in this case it came in such a "pretty" package.

And you know how much I love your stories, and your romance with the amazing Harley. You could never ever bore me.

burntbrat I wish you the best on your quest. I think prhoshay had a great idea about finding a declawed older cat in a shelter. And keep in mind that older cats in general present very few clawing problems, as long as you provide a variety of scratching posts rubbed with catnip (kittens, though, seem to inevitably damage some piece of furniture.) Whatever you do, may your happiness surpass the challenges.

I have stepped in many a yak in my life.

Theodore is growing in size and affection. He's chosen Daniel as his mentor -- he'll watch him and do what he does, even the quirky things, like dropping my old hairbands into the water bowl. They are our "clean-up batters" after meals, they each sleep under one of Mr. lei's armpits, and they both chase poor Gina (though she usually likes it, and she needs the exercise anyway.) This is all when he's not just purring away, the perfect little shmuglump, in my lap.

I need to take some new pics, but as it was time to clean off the shell where I was hosting most of the old ones, I'll repost a few.

Aloha.

Last edited by lei; 07-21-2007 at 04:10 PM.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by lei;2484929;

I have stepped in many a yak in my life.

]

The ABSOLUTE worst thing than stepping in it, is rolling over in bed and putting your leg in it. Gross! Yuck! Why can't they jump OFF the bed to do that?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I have a friend whose cat yaks in the litterbox. That Is Not Fair!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2484959;
    I have a friend whose cat yaks in the litterbox. That Is Not Fair!!!
    Now that is one polite kitty Wish my cats would take note.
    Last edited by snarkattack; 07-21-2007 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snarkattack;2484975;
    Now that is one polite kitty Wish my cats would take note.

Well Joey does projectile yaking- yep 5 feet of ack ack.

Mona rest her soul, was a polite acker - she mostly did it on my bare foot so I could hop to the bathroom and stick it in the toilet and flush.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Rattus:
    lei: Love the pics as usual!
    prhoshay: good suggestion
    burnbrat: good luck on getting a kitty
    gabriel: I remember Mona and your foot in the toilet stories!

Now this is a big yak!!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread