+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1268Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Wow Newf, I can just imagine the size of yak piles from A Newf!! I shall never complain about a little cat yak ever again! I'm glad he ended up being ok though.

Seriously?? Licorice??? No wonder she's your ex.
    Last edited by Butterfly723; 07-19-2007 at 05:11 PM.

So I've been hinting that I want a cat for some time now with my husband. Whenever he asks me what I want as a gift for a holiday, I say a kitten and then laugh it off. But I always had pets growing up and sometimes I miss that special friendship between a pet and its owner. Last Easter the Easter bunny relented and got the two oldest kids hamsters. They've been okay, but hamsters are not the cuddliest pets. So I figure my husband is wearing down a little in the pet area.

Last night he was a little drunk and said that he knew it meant a lot to me and that we could get a cat after we get some home improvements done, as long as we get it declawed (which I would never do, but one battle at a time) so it wouldn't tear up our leather furniture. Naturally I was excited and overwhelmed. He was so sweet when he was talking about how he loved me and he knew it would make me happy. So today I looked up local animal shelters to see what was in the area and looked at pictures of homeless kitties and researched what they would ask in the adoption process. Then tonight I casually said, "About that thing we talked about last night..." and he thought for a minute and said "Yeah, I take that back, I was drunk, you can't hold me to that." I was devastated and cried a little bit. I'm not normally a crier unless Aunt Flo is around, but it just stung. It stings that I'm an adult and I do so much for my family and I work my butt off but I have to have permission to get a pet. He would have to have permission too, but still. After my little tears and a tissue, he said "Fine, get an f'ing cat" but that won't work. I won't bring a little baby in my house with that kind of hostility.

I guess I just have to keep trying. Or keep him drunk all the time. I am very envious of all of you that have pets to cuddle and love.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

Start making some drinks burntbrat and get it in writing next time.

I remember before I got my dog, I wanted one so bad and my husband kept saying no. I even made a picket sign once and marched in circles in front of his tv yelling "I want a dog" for a good 30 minutes. I wore him down eventually and we have had our dog for 7 years and my husband loves him as much as I do.

Good luck and keep trying!!

Burntbrat, if you do get your husband to act right and let you get a cat, remember there are lots of grown declawed cats (for instance the one I have)that end up in shelters; I know everyone wants a kitten, but it's something to think about. Big kitties need love too!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Burntbrat - my husband was the same way. In fact, the exact quote was, "I hate cats. We'll get a cat over my dead body." Well, then a friend of ours had a friend whose cat had kittens. The friend asked me if we wanted one. I mentioned it to my husband. He said we'll go "look". Now everybody knows you can't go look at kittens and NOT bring one home! So my husband, my son (who was about 8) and I go off to look at kittens. And came home with Whiskers!

Then about a year later, a friend at work had a cat (actually several cats) who had kittens. My husband actually agreed to that pretty easily, so home came Dunkin!

My husband loves those little kitties just as much as my son and I do. He talks to them, caters to them, gives them treats, and denies that he ever said we'd get a cat over his dead body.

There's hope.

MRD

Did any of you see the story about the dog that ate $800 in cash?

Keith Oberman did a story on it last night and was calling it the Doggie ATM.
    So far the family has recovered, cleaned and taped back together 700 of it. They are still waiting for the last 100 to be "deposited".

And they took it to the bank and got it all exchanged for non-torn up and pooped on money.

They even showed photos of the money and it was in bits and pieces. I know 800 is a lot, but I sure would have a hard time going through the poo for it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

burntbrat, not only can you get an already declawed adult cat (which will save on the $$ of having to do it yourself), but you can try to get one from a no-kill shelter that may have the policy that says if you have to get rid of the cat, that you will return the cat to them. I have 2 of those. Short of dying, I can't see ever returning my babies, but it's good knowing that they have a home to return to if they had to. I had to sign a agreement that I would only front declaw, too. Would hubby do better with a cutie-pie kitty that will steal his heart, or a wonderful adult cat with it's personality already formed? And you have to stop and think, is jealousy (on his part) going to be an issue? If jealousy is going to be an issue, the problems are bigger than just getting a cat. Good luck, and keep us posted.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I don't know if this has been posted before, but this picture always makes me laugh.
    SUP.jpg
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Hadn't seen that before!

Before I truly awoke, this morning, my eldest gurl was on the bed with me and began this mournful howl. Of course when your baby makes a bizarre noise you bolt awake. Then she starts to salivate and gets up on her feet....this is how she "announces" that it's time to bring up a hairball. I grab a couple of tissues, and gently place my hand on her back, and she gives dear mom her present; beats doing it on my sheet. She, then, goes away and comes back in under 5 minutes, sniffing around for the mess that she's made. She sniffed around for a considerable amount of time, not understanding that she put it in my hand, so there's nothing to find. We finally, both, went back to sleep. I was so proud of US....her for not panicking, and me for being awake enough to "catch"!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Rattus, I LOVE that picture!

+ Reply to Thread