+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1265Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

That site is very informative, so thanks, Lei. I suspect she's got some kind of neck/spine problem, but only one leg reacted to touch yesterday, and now today, they both do, so I hope that means she's healing somewhat. We've had birds who didn't eat or drink and died within hours, but this little girl actually gets pretty peppy sometimes, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she is mending. I know it probably sounds silly to worry about a little finch, but a life is a life, you know?

Mr. Rose took our camera on a backpacking trip, so I'm disappointed I can't take a picture of Howard babysitting her. When I hold her, he puts his head in my lap and watches her. I was afraid he was thinking "dinner!" but honestly, he just seems to be curious about the whole thing. I'm not taking a chance to test him, though, just in case.

Thanks again, lei.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

roseskid - Thank You for taking care of one of our little creatures from the outdoors. I would love to see a picture of Howard watching her, that sounds so precious. Again Thank You!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid;2473411;
    ....We've had birds who didn't eat or drink and died within hours, but this little girl actually gets pretty peppy sometimes, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she is mending. I know it probably sounds silly to worry about a little finch, but a life is a life, you know?....
    I do, and you're not silly, and you're so welcome! Like gabriel said, thank you!

I hope the little girl does well, and also that you have a great vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2473122;
    Gabe: I think you may want to reinforce that shelf.
    That is the funniest thing I've read today.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2473464;
    That is the funniest thing I've read today.
    I'm still chuckling over that, and this one:

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2473200;
    I tell you what--I have a brother-in-law who designs bridges (and has won national awards for his work!) I'll send him the picture and get his professional opinion concerning the load-bearing capacity of the shelf

Or, for the do-it-yourself types:

Sag calculator

Joey is still snoozing too.

The sagulator calculated that I should have 0.03 inches deflection - I'm going to measure soon.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

roseskid, is she a Purple Finch? (obviously, the females aren't purple!) And how cool of Howard to take an interest!
    Anyway, try calling your Fish and Game department, Wildlife Division or whatever they call the fishing and hunting folks in your state. Usually they have a list of wildlife rehabilitators.
    A couple of years ago some boys shot a pair of bluebirds in my yard with bb guns, and there were 3 babies left in my box. I called the F&W office nearest me, and they knew someone who would care for the baby birds. Since it was 50 miles down the road, I didn't have time to take them before work, but the 'game warden' actually was nice enough to come pick them up. I sure felt bette!
    Oh, speaking of birds...my bluebirds have a third set of babies in there now; three again. I can't believe it! Usually there are two sets, and although the birds lay a third set of eggs usually onlyu one or none hatch in the heat.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

lei
    FORT Fogey

queenb - How sweet that you have bluebirds nesting again.

Shame on those boys -- I never understood that kind of "play" :nono That's really cool about your F&W folks, though.

Lei, my daughter told me to tell you that the schmuglump is absolutely adorable. (she is a kitty lover)

Gabe, I don't know if I have ever told you this, but Joey is one beautiful cat.

Roses, how sweet of you to take care of the finch. I hope she will be ok, it sounds promising.

Queen, how cool is it that the bluebirds pick your yard to nest. I had robins do that once, but they put the nest in my drain on my awning. Just after the babies hatched we got a big storm and they both drowned.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2474103;
    Lei, my daughter told me to tell you that the schmuglump is absolutely adorable. (she is a kitty lover)

Gabe, I don't know if I have ever told you this, but Joey is one beautiful cat.

Roses, how sweet of you to take care of the finch. I hope she will be ok, it sounds promising.

Queen, how cool is it that the bluebirds pick your yard to nest. I had robins do that once, but they put the nest in my drain on my awning. Just after the babies hatched we got a big storm and they both drowned.
    Thank you for the Joey comment. You should have a little sign that says DANGER no nesting in drain on awning...what a shame.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

lei
    FORT Fogey

dagwood - I'm sorry about the birdies. Even though they're "just birds" they are so fragile and can really tug at the heartstrings.

But please thank your kitty-lovin' daughter for her kind words.

And to everyone - Mr. lei and I were remembering last night (after the oohs and ahhs of our family arrivals) that we actually had in mind to adopt a more pathetic, maybe special needs kitty (like we have in the past), say with one eye, no tail, whatever awkwardness. While we wound up with a "traditional" beauty, there are so many darlings of all sorts in the shelters. Every week I volunteer I want to take more home (but I somehow restrain myself!)

+ Reply to Thread