+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1319Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2468653;
    You guys remember that scene in Jaws where Roy Schneider's character is shoveling fish guts out of a bucket in the back of the boat and shark comes up out of the water with its jaws open?

Waldo has a new nickname: Jaws because that scene is what he looks like when a treat is given. Feeding him a treat has become an exercise in keeping your fingers intact. He's gotten so greedy because, well, they all 3 are so damned jealous of each other its getting on my nerves.
    But tonight I almost have nubs where my fingers go after treat time was over.
    That's an easy fix Both of my boys get a little excited at cookie time, have taken my arm up to my elbow. Rather than put up with prosthetics for the rest of my life (being part salamander, I can regrow limbs, within limits ) I hold the cookie and say "Gentle!" They would lunge for the cookie, but I would withdraw it until they sat back down, and I'd offer it again. It only took a couple of tries for them to get the idea. Be consistent, and you should get results, even with Waldo.

I had a pleasant encounter this evening. Just as I was leaving my piano lesson, a woman was walking up the street with a 4-month Irish Wolfhound. What a sweet pup! Very affectionate. For those of you not familiar with the breed, it is one of the very few breeds that I consider large (point of reference--I consider Newfs to be of normal size since I'm always around them,)
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

They are huge. I love big dogs. A friend of mine used to have one and he was such a sweetheart. Newfs are beautiful, they are on my "dog breed wish list". Are there pics of yours around here anywhere Newfherder?

My Chihuahua almost takes my fingers off when she gets a treat too. I have learned to pass out her treats like feeding a horse, I put it in the palm of my hand instead of giving it to her with my fingers.

I think I've posted this before. It was taken back when the dogs and I were in our prime. Bjorn, on the left as you look at the photo, was about 2-1/2, and Gustav about 1-1/2.

Their prime was a lot better than my prime
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Oh my god, they are absolutely beautiful. My chihuahua is smaller than their heads.
    You look just like my cousin Gary.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Butterfly - Sorry it didn't work out with the BC. But of course you have to do what's best for Harley.

Newf - OH what a treat that picture is! What magnificent creatures!!! (And yes, I include you in that statement. )

Last but not least.....PJ....

This isn't the best picture but It's the only one I could get that wasn't her running away. She looks really mad. She also always looks like she has eye goop but that is part of her markings. She is my most cuddly baby.

lei
    FORT Fogey

PJ looks SO precious and sweet!!! I'm absolutely melting.

Here are my boys, Boogie and Harley taking a nap together, they are the only boys and they love each other. It's funny seeing them play together. Notice Baby in the background. I told you she is in every pic.

I'm getting pretty good at this picture thing!!

Lei, I know what you mean, I melt every time I see your avatar. He is so beautiful. He seems like a feisty guy too. How old is he?
    Last edited by Butterfly723; 07-11-2007 at 12:36 AM.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Okay, this cuteness has to stop, now!

Oh, Butterfly, what a gorgeous picture. Your boys are so darling. They look like they were made for each other. Precious.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly723;2468952;
    I know what you mean, I melt every time I see your avatar. He is so beautiful. He seems like a feisty guy too. How old is he?
    Thank you! He's about three months. Typical kitten in that he'll be all crazy one minute and a sweet purry shmuglump the next.

Last edited by lei; 07-11-2007 at 12:51 AM. Reason: picture.

That has got to be the cutest picture ever!

+ Reply to Thread