+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1337Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Sorry for the double post but I just caught this FDC shot of Henry. Enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Uncle David - The girls' home looks so sweet and comfortable, and they are SO precious and beautiful, as always!!

doxie - Henry is SO adorable! And so funny. Silly boy with silly tongue

Absolutely loveable, all your babies.

all these pictures are just too much, and the WALDO story is hilarious.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;2464674;
    MRD Hilarious 4th of July story! Could you please post or pm me the name of the sedative that you give to the dogs? Our JRT, Simon, is no longer bothered by fireworks or thunder (because he is deaf) but, for the past few years, we have sedated him on Christmas Day when my family is here because he has bitten me and we were worried about him attacking my niece or nephew. The pill that our vet prescribed for him made him act much like you said Waldo did - lol - he looked drunk and couldn't walk right but he NEVER fell asleep. He just staggered around and growled and barked at us. Simon is already on "Doggy Prozac" and he hasn't bitten anyone in a year or so, but I'd be really interested in knowing what your vet suggested to actually knock him out. Thanks!

Everyone else - great pictures - I love the FDC pictures and I always look at this thread first!

Our vet prescribed Acepromazine, 5 mg. for all 3 dogs. Waldo, because of his size gets a whole pill and the other two get a half pill because they are smaller.
    Actually the vet told us we could give Waldo 2 pills, but we have only ever given him one because one seems to do the trick. I think 2 would probably put him out cold for several hours. He bites when we bathe him, so we had to do something because he has to have the occasional bath.
    He also told us we could give them all benedryl as that has a very calming effect on dogs and as Waldo has a skin problem, we do sometimes have to give him the benedryl because of the itching.

I am going to bring up the prozac the next time we go to the vet as I think Waldo needs it. He is a nervous dog in general. Not that noises bother him, but he is NEVER still. He paces constantly and is always very restless and never seems to be able to "concentrate" on anything for very long. It's almost like he has a dog form of ADD.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by lei;2464693;
    Uncle David - The girls' home looks so sweet and comfortable, and they are SO precious and beautiful, as always!!

doxie - Henry is SO adorable! And so funny. Silly boy with silly tongue

Absolutely loveable, all your babies.
    I have to agree with Lei on both pictures. Uncle David, that rug in front of the fireplace looks like a good sleeping spot.

Doxie, Henry just cracks me up.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2464857;
    that rug in front of the fireplace looks like a good sleeping spot.
    Although it used to be the date-night-bearskin-rug-in-front-of-the-fireplace rug, it now belongs to the girls.

It's now become the 'hunting zone'. Must be because of the heat, but every night crickets have been coming in via the fireplace. Unbeknownst to the crickets they are entering a killing zone. All night the girls sit there waiting for a cricket to emerge. I feel bad for the crickets, but there's nothing I can do.

When I decided to move the girls to a raw diet I hadn't counted on a live supplement.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2464871;
    Although it used to be the date-night-bearskin-rug-in-front-of-the-fireplace rug, it now belongs to the girls.

It's now become the 'hunting zone'. Must be because of the heat, but every night crickets have been coming in via the fireplace. Unbeknownst to the crickets they are entering a killing zone. All night the girls sit there waiting for a cricket to emerge. I feel bad for the crickets, but there's nothing I can do.

When I decided to move the girls to a raw diet I hadn't counted on a live supplement.
    I'm sure the girls appreciate your date sacrifice for them.

I can just imagine them on cricket patrol. When we lived in Florida, Rosie was the "lizard hunter". We don't have the lizards up here we did there, so she's very disappointed. She rarely caught them, but we did have a few that were missing tails.

Well, its just part of the "food chain" I guess. I bet the girls imagine themselves as Tigers or Lions going after the BIG game.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Our kittes (and probably most who aren't seniors) love to hunt! Though they're indoors, they do get the occasional visiting gecko, fly, cockroach -- it's all very exciting. They also stand by the sliding back door and watch birds, crouching in pounce position, and doing that cack-cack-cack thing with their jaw (anyone who has seen/heard it knows what I mean. Apparently it's an instinct from being ready to bite the neck of their prey.)

Re: psycho meds, besides giving tranquilizers in the past for airplane flights or intense fireworks, I've had two very beneficial experiences for the kitties. Daphne is socially anxious and Buspar helped her come out of her shell. Also Daniel is obsessive-compulsive and three times he got in a habit of licking his poor nose red. Amitriptyline worked each time on a short-term (3-week) basis so the problem stayed away for many months. Both our vets are very knowledgeable about this stuff and I was really impressed with the results.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Sorry it's too late to edit but I should have said "psych meds". I call them "psychomeds" affectionately but I didn't mean to refer to those who need them as "psycho."

Though the kitties can certainly have their crazy moments, like most of us.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by lei;2464947;
    Sorry it's too late to edit but I should have said "psych meds". I call them "psychomeds" affectionately but I didn't mean to refer to those who need them as "psycho."

Though the kitties can certainly have their crazy moments, like most of us.
    psycho meds works for me so don't apologize. I think its a humerous term and one we use as well.

Thanks for the info on the meds. I think I will ask the vet. I think maybe some of the not so well liked behaviors Waldo has may benefit from some medication. I hate to have to medicate him, but if it helps him, then it helps us too I guess. I have to wonder if some of these problems are what prompted him to be dumped by his previous owners. Still, anyone that dumps a dog is beneath low in my opinion. Most dogs can be helped, if you are willing to love and help them. And he certainly gets a lot of love here and he has calmed down a lot from when we first got him. I think he knows he's safe and loved here no matter what.

+ Reply to Thread