+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1314Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

My friend's mom had two boxers, and as long as you don't mind drool, I agree they're very nice dogs. Her boxers were friendly to a fault, actually - I had to duck to avoid a doggy facewash every time I went over there.

Lei, your new baby looks just like my Dorito did as a kitten. Expect him to grow up very fat and happy.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2459791;
    THANK YOU!!! all for helping me gather info for my sister. I'll pass your comments along.

Sorry if I'm too late but boxers are great dogs. Especially the older ones - check into your area for Boxer Rescues. They come potty trained!

Well my opinion is a Mastiff. You mentioned talking her out of a bull mastiff, which I agree with as they are a bit high maintance. But the mastiff (or english mastiff) are wonderful low energy couch hogs. Always looking for a nice soft lap to get on, even if it is just their heads. They have easy-going personalities, will keep a watchful eye out, but are not agressive at all. Normally their size alone does all the intimidating. They say that a mastiff will let a burgler into your home...but won't let him leave. They are expensive though. $1500. But worth every penny IMO.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2459635;
    Is your sister set on a pure bred? There are plenty of great mutts at the pound who need love and would make great pets
    I agree. Mixed breeds are always my top pick.

The fireworks have started here... I hope all of your babies make it through the night without much stress!!

Gut - sorry for the loss of your sister's JRT. Our JRT, Simon, is almost 14 and I know we will have to deal with that sooner rather than later.

I have a friend who has a Corgi and two young children (Corgi was around before the kids came along). The dog does herd the kids around as someone mentioned upthread, but he's never bitten the girls and he practically doubled his weight when the kids were in high chairs - he'd sit under them and eat everything that they dropped! Very cute dog.

Also, if she's not set on getting a purebred, she should check out the local shelters or petfinders.com. We found our Henry (Dachshund/Beagle Mix) at a shelter and he's the best dog I've ever had. He loves kids and with the exception of the Christmas that he knocked my then two year old nephew over, ate the nephew's dinner, humped the nephew's leg and then chewed up the nephew's new Spiderman toy, Henry has always played well with children. Nephew is 8 now and he and Henry get along just fine. I know that our animal shelters are always full, so maybe your sister and her kids could find a new friend at their local shelter. Good luck!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by 11sstephanie;2459747;
    And mrd, Big, Dumb, and Happy? We call Sugar Fat, Dumb, and Happy. *clunk* "hey...a window! When did that show up?" *thud* *thud* *thud* "hmm....move chimney! I'm trying to get through, I said MOVE!" She gets into fights with the chimney, and the puppy in the window, which may or may not be her reflection. It's amusing, in a depressing sort of way.
    Sounds like Sugar and Waldo could be related.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

As several of you have mentioned, I am urging her over and over to go to a shelter before she commits to a purebred.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

some of the best dogs I've ever had were strays that wandered up and even Waldo is a stray of sorts. I have always thought strays and shelter dogs were such good dogs as they seem so genuinely grateful and happy to have been rescued.

We had several strays with such inspired names as
    Rags (to riches)
    Freddy (the freeloader)
    and
    Annie (as in little orphan)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2459827;
    As several of you have mentioned, I am urging her over and over to go to a shelter before she commits to a purebred.
    Shelters get a lot of pure-breds, too. Had the Newf club not gotten involved, that's where my buddy Oscar would have gone. Sweetest boy you'd ever care to meet. I'm happy to say that this weekend he is setting out on the first leg of his journey to his forever home. First to Colorado, then Wyoming, and finally South Dakota. I'll miss him
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly723;2458669;
    Hi everybody! I am having the best time reading about your pets and seeing the pictures!
    Me too! I've become a lurker in here.

Attachment 20991 My cat's been gone for over three years, but I just recently learned how to post pictures. I would have done this years ago, but better late than never.

Butterfly723, glad to read that Harley is all better.
    Last edited by lopevian; 08-12-2007 at 05:03 PM.

+ Reply to Thread