+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1429Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

I do know that Boxer's are usually great with kids....and that is from a non-dog person. I grew up around one, and she was wonderful!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2459484;
    I need some advice for my sister. She's replacing her Jack Russell terrier that died a few months ago. She has a 6th grade daughter and a son 2 years younger with autism and a medium sized house with a medium sized yard on the end of a cul de sac. First she wanted a Bull Mastiff and everyone talked her out of that. Now they're thinking either boxer, pug, or great Dane. I told her the Great Dane was crazy. What do you think? Any other recommendations besides those 3? Among those 3? Thanks in advance!
    Well I am partial to Jack Russells, but they are high maitenence. (require a LOT of attention)

I'd go with something very kid friendly like a golden retriever or a beagle.

I have never been partial to Boxers due to a childhood incident with one and a great dane is just HUGE.

I have always wanted a corgi so that would be my reccomendation based on just nothing but I want one.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

An old work acquaintance of mine used to breed boxers. He swore they are some of the best family dogs out there. I have to admit, his were wonderful. They're smart, loyal, perfectly mid-sized, lots of energy but not annoying or over the top. Easy to train and even tempered, good with his kids who were not quite teenagers yet at that time. He had one female who got a bit cantankerous in her old age, but all the others were very sweet. I used to think the next dog I'd get would be a boxer... but I decided to adopt from the pound instead.

I don't have any experience or knowledge about the other breeds mentioned. A Great Dane seems like a bit much dog for the situation, but I've heard they're wonderful animals.

I am LOVING "the look". I hope I never see that look late at night in a dark alley!!!
    prhoshay, I have names for my guys too that Daddy would never call them. I call my cat Boogie "Mama's boogie oogie snuggy boy".

I am still trying to figure out how to post pics. Somebody in a different thread showed me how, but I am an outdoors kind of girl and this computer stuff is pretty new to me. I have 2 dogs and 4 cats and I will post pics of them all when I fugure this out. I was very proud that I even figured out how to do the avatar thingy.
    Last edited by Butterfly723; 07-03-2007 at 04:31 PM.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Gutmutter - I don't know much about dog breeds but I wish your sister's family all the best in finding their new friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly723;2459510;
    prhoshay, I have names for my guys too that Daddy would never call them. I call my cat Boogie "Mama's boogie oogie snuggy boy".
    That's adorable!!!

I babytalk my Daniel a lot. And Mr. lei is not immune to talking cutesy stuff to the kitties, either

Lei, Mr. Kissy Face is absolutely adorable! I ahve always been partial to orange cats. My first orange cat was my girl Punkin, she is NUTS! She is almost 15 now and she still tears around the house like a kitten.
    I have silly nicknames for all of my "kids".

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2459495;
    I have always wanted a corgi so that would be my recommendation based on just nothing but I want one.
    I've known several people who had Corgis and they can get a little "nippy" with kids.

Gut - of the three breeds you listed, I'd go with the boxer. Great Danes are not only enormous, but the tend to have relatively short lifespans - that's tough stuff, especially with kids. I have a personal bias against pugs because of the many people I've known who have them.

Is your sister set on a pure bred? There are plenty of great mutts at the pound who need love and would make great pets
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2459635;
    I've known several people who had Corgis and they can get a little "nippy" with kids.
    Yes, my next-door neighbor has one, and although she's great with all adults, she is not fond of kids and has snapped at several (the dog, not my neighbor ). They've had her for years and have learned to keep a wide berth between the dog and friends' kids.

Golden retrievers and labradors are wonderful with kids, but both do shed. The folks who work at our local shelter (where we got both our dogs) are really good at helping you determine what type of dog would work for you. I know our Maggie (mixed terrier) is great with kids. Howard loves kids but because of his size can be a little unintentionanlly rough, so I'd suggest sticking with a smaller dog - maybe no bigger than 30 lbs.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

MRD

Since I'm becoming an old grouch about children in my advancing years, maybe I do need a Corgi!

It's not all kids, just a select few and having "protection" from them would be great!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Corgis are herding dogs, and they nip at the heels of their charges. As far as Corgis are concerned, kids are two-legged sheep.

Personally, I love cream-and-white Pembroke Corgies
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread