+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1320Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;2455839;
    There is this article on the NYT's web site today about cats that some of you all may find interesting. I find it fascinating that they can trace all of the housecats back to five momma cats 9,500 years ago and that cats domesticated themselves, unlike other domesticated animals.
    I saw that article and it is quite facinating! There really isn't that much wild in them genetically and Egypt may have worshipped cats but they didn't begin there. I didn't know that.

lei: I tell you girl, if you post one more cute, adorable Awwwww photo of Mr. Schmugalump Heartbreaker I'm just going to have to go and get myself a little orange kitten! And I mean it! Don't make me do it!

I'm wanting a baby like this one...
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2456892;
    lei: I tell you girl, if you post one more cute, adorable Awwwww photo of Mr. Schmugalump Heartbreaker I'm just going to have to go and get myself a little orange kitten! And I mean it! Don't make me do it!

I love this thread so much

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2456892;
    I'm wanting a baby like this one...
    Oh my goodness, well if that isn't the cutest (and silliest) thing EVER!

So I'm sitting in my quiet, teenager free (rare) home tonight, minding my own business. No tv, stereo, or computer on. I live on the marsh and while this area is considered a bird sanctuary, I experienced a first after five years of living here. I heard a weirdly human screeching sound from two seperate locations. Freaked me out,so I went outside,and saw this large thing swoop directly overhead,with a wingspan of about three feet. Then it perched in a tree above me,and this is what I saw looking (yes, LOOKING!) down directly at me:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Go Tigers!

May I add that this thing freaked me out,visually AND audibly. Anyone else ever have a face toface with a Barn Owl? Not for the faint of heart, because I at first thought it was a monkey!
    Go Tigers!

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Owls are one of the most startling of birds. As you've noted, they make a lot of noise. both audibly and physically. (flapping of wings and disturbance of their immediate surroundings) Also, they are notorious for making their move on short notice. I've soiled myself on a few occasions after being startled by huge Great Horned Owls as well as some smaller barn owls.

I envy you your encounter snoopy.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Too cool, Snoopy! It makes me miss the Barred owl that used to be sitting on my utility line right above the driveway at night. He's gone since they have built too many new houses here.
    I've never seen a Barn Owl though. I would like to eventually.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Wow, Snoopy, that's a beautiful picture and a wild story!

I just saw one today at a bird show at the zoo. They had him screech into a microphone. I can see how that would startle you. They are gorgeous birds, though.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

That's cool snoop. We have a red tail hawk that lives near my restaurant. Often he will fly over and sit on the roof. He also sits on the phone lines and watches the field across the street. We'll see him take off, swoop down and come back up with a mouse. Too cool. One night right at dusk one of my employees was standing out back smoking and a little mouse was scampering by. (No we don't have mice in my restaurant ) when something swooped down and nabbed him. I'm thinking it was the hawk, could have been an owl, but my poor old dishwasher got the crap scared out of him.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

There was a really big fireworks show several blocks from where I live, in a park, and my girls immediately vaporized at the speed of light! My windows were actually rattling. My alpha gurl was so terrorized that she was not normal for the rest of the night. She did not sleep at all last night, and kept her eyes trained on the bedroom door. No food, no bathroom, no nothing, and stayed on the bed right next to me the whole night. And that is highly unusual. It is now 12 hours later, and she has finally started to behave normally, but she did throw up her breakfast. I just felt so sorry for her, and there was nothing I could do to make it better. Hate it when that happens. The other 2 just disappeared under my bed, but were not as stirred up as Chloe was. My poor, poor angels.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread