+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1136Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Teach your children well Uncle David's Avatar

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer;2440119;
    Update on my kitty is that she's just doing okay.
    I'm still keeping her in my thoughts, and hoping for the best.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2439675;
    Me too! I've had three. Howard, Theodore, and Sheldon Goldstein.
    You're a lot more creative than I am with the names. Ours was already named Pumpkin when we got him but that seems kind of prissy for a male cat, so we often just call him Orange Cat.

Star - I'm keeping your kitty in my prayers.

Star, if your kitty is eating at all I think that's a good sign--I'm sending prayers and good thoughts!

Still can't get the roach position, but Rocky does say "howdy"--or maybe "no papparazi!"

Also some of you might remember I was wanting to get kitty washed a couple opf weeks ago to speed up the shedding-- I found some "cat bathing wipes" at Wal-Mart, and Rocky actually didn't seem to even notice he was getting dampish until I was finished. It really did seem to get rid of a lot of loose har, and his fur feels soooo good now, without much emotional upset. I think it's a good alternative for cats that don't like much brushing.
    Last edited by queenb; 06-14-2007 at 11:19 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Queenie: Rocky and his coat are gorgeous!
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

I love that little white paw, queenb!
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Rocky's gorgeous, queenb! I love the "no pictures please" pose.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Awww...it kinda looks like Rocky is giving the finger!

He's beautiful queenb!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I've been thinking a lot about Sheldon Goldstein since the topic of orange tabbies came up. Although Howard and Theodore were special in their own rights, Sheldon was my man. He was a 'man's' cat. Big beefy cat, solid muscle, polydactyl, and an air about him that let everyone know he was not to be trifled with. And yet, he was the kindest, most gentle cat I ever had. Nothing riled him. And what a lover, You could hear his motor a few blocks away.

But, it's the story of how he came to live with me that I'll never forget...

At the time I was living on a very small street, cum alley, in Manhattan Beach, CA. I had a black and white cat named Howard (The First). Howard was a grumpy/fussy cat that didn't get along with other cats, dogs or humans for that matter. But that was his charm. The neighbor's cats didn't care much for him, and the dogs flat out feared him. (they would make a point of going to the other side of the narrow street just to avoid being spit at ) Yeah, Howard was no one's friend. So, you can imagine my surprise when one day I was outside the front door calling for Howard to come home for dinner, and he did something completely out of character.

Howard was an outdoor cat. There was a cat door so he could come and go as he pleased, but he chose to spend most of his time outside. Even if it was only in front of the perpetually open front door. Because he was often out catting around when I got home from work I'd have to call him to come eat. This day was no different. I put out the food, then called for Howard. As I stood in the doorway waiting, Howard appeared from between two buildings across the street. I was just about to turn and go back into the apartment when I noticed Howard stopped, briefly looked at me, and then turned to look at something behind him. It was so out of the ordinary it stopped me dead in my tracks. I couldn't imagine what on earth Howard was looking at. Within seconds, this beautiful orange tabby sauntered up alongside Howard.

I watched, in shock, as Howard and the orange tabby walked across the street as if they'd been brought up together. I mean, this was Howard! Dogs ran in fear of him, mothers came out of their houses to bring their small children inside when he walked by, yet here he was, casually 'bringing a friend home for supper'. All I could do was step to the side, and slack jawed, allow the two to pass into the apartment.

Once in the kitchen, the two ate from the same bowl. I was certain this was the 8th sign of the apocalypse. Instead of dogs and cats lying together, it was Howard and this orange tabby. No blood on the walls, no fur flying, I could only stare in amazement. From that moment on the orange cat was a full fledged member of the family. The next day he had his own bowl, and the two had already staked out their 'spots' in the apartment.

Why Sheldon Goldstein? Well, I knew almost immediately I would call him Sheldon. Howard and Sheldon just sounded right. Goldstein comes from my then girlfriend Hillary. Orange tabby, Goldstein, get it?

They come in and out of our lives in so many different, and often mystical ways, but for me, the story of Howard and Sheldon ranks right up there.
    Last edited by Uncle David; 06-14-2007 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama;2440268;
    Awww...it kinda looks like Rocky is giving the finger!
    Trust you to come up with that one bb!

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2440280;
    Trust you to come up with that one bb!
    Yep, that's me!!!

LOVED your story about Howard and Sheldon! We've all been blessed to have these animals come into our lives and make such an impact on us! I love reading each and every story and seeing each and every picture!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread