+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1139Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Re: For animal lovers

Quote Originally Posted by 11sstephanie;2434670;

So that explains quite a bit....for example, why I just want to hug him! I should have seen that sooner! I really, I don't know what I'd do without you, Newf.
    I guess you'd just do a thread search, and find out that:
    Quote Originally Posted by M_shelll;1983989;
    She is a Pitbull x Newfoundlander cross, but Im not sure what species her tounge is. She loves to lick at your face, if you blow in her face she licks at the air, and if your not careful she will get you inside your mouth. Its happened to my boyfriend and I MANY times.
    Or maybe:
    Quote Originally Posted by M_shelll;2224219;
    We got Rocko from a good friend about 6 years ago who got her from the SPCA, so I'm really not sure where her name came from. My buddy had three big dogs at the time and was trying to move out from his parents house. No one wanted to rent to a 20 year old with a Pitbull x Newfoundlander (Rocko) a Pitbull x Shar pei (Molly) and a big white fluffy dog, not sure the breed (Chino). I fought so hard not to get her, but I am so glad we did. Not only was she the perfect dog to help me get over my fear of dogs but, our friend died a couple of years ago in a car accident which makes Rocko even more special to us.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Love the latest pictures gabriel! The tummy and feet ones are hysterical. Our neighbors just got a new dog so my little guy is beside himself whenever they have him out in the yard. So much for letting him run loose in the side yard while I'm gardening.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;2433710;
    M Shell Great pictures - I especially liked the one of Rocko's jaws! Hilarious.

We went to the movies tonight (sneak preview of Surf's Up because I collect penguins/and it was free. Cute movie!) We brought our leftover popcorn home and I made the mistake of leaving it on the bar in our living room..... A little while later, I heard this barking commotion going on downstairs. I investigated and discovered Simon standing in the middle of our table, attempting to jump onto the bar. Henry was circling the table (like a Nascar driver) and both of them were barking at the popcorn. After everything calmed down, we gave the dogs "their" popcorn. Henry LOVES popcorn and he can catch it in his mouth. Simon just barks and acts crazy and grabs up the pieces that Henry fails to catch. Funny little dogs.
    This is just too funny to pass by without commenting. I have this image in my head of the scene you just described and I am beside myself at these two barking at POPCORN.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2434868;
    Love the latest pictures gabriel! The tummy and feet ones are hysterical. Our neighbors just got a new dog so my little guy is beside himself whenever they have him out in the yard. So much for letting him run loose in the side yard while I'm gardening.
    Well at least you could put a harness on him and he can be outside, unless they "argue" across the yards. Both of those pictures were sheer luck. I can still see Joey sitting on the scanner and the look on his face when I clicked scan on the computer and this light starts moving under his feet- he was dumbfounded just looked at me like what the???
    Last edited by just1paul; 06-09-2007 at 07:27 AM.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Calif. considers bill requiring pets be fixed - Pet Health - MSNBC.com

What do ya'll think of this? On the one hand, I like that the overpopulation of dogs and cats is being addressed. Clearly there are a lot of irresponsible pet owners. But on the otherhand, I don't like the idea of it being mandatory when so many people can't afford the operation.

Calif. considers bill requiring pets be fixed
    State would be first in U.S. necessitating spaying, neutering
    Reuters
    Updated: 6:30 p.m. ET June 8, 2007
    SAN FRANCISCO - California may become the only U.S. state to require the sterilization of pets under a bill passed by the state Assembly, pitting dog and cat lovers against animal rights activists.

“It’s a horrific bill,” said Maureen Hill-Hauch, executive director of Castleton, New York-based American Dog Owners Association, adding that enforcement of the bill in theory could wipe out California’s dog population.

The bill would require pet owners to spay and neuter their dogs and cats, or face a $500 fine for each animal.

Breeders, as well as owners of guide dogs, could obtain exemptions.

The Democrat-led state Assembly narrowly approved the bill late on Wednesday. It now goes to the state Senate amid a flurry of legislation that must be passed by Friday.

Republicans in the minority in both chambers do not consider the bill a priority and say it is too intrusive. “It’s micromanaging,” said Republican Assemblyman Doug LaMalfa.

Supporters say the bill requiring pets to be spayed or neutered is necessary to reduce the population of unwanted pets dumped in the state’s shelters.

At least 500,000 animals each year are killed in the most populous U.S. state, imposing an unacceptable “humanitarian” cost on California, said Assemblyman Lloyd Levine, the Democrat promoting the bill.

Those dogs and cats also impose a big expense to the state as keeping and killing them costs $300 million a year, Levine said in a telephone interview.

Leslie Nuccio of the San Francisco area group Bad Rap — Bay Area Doglovers Responsible About Pit bulls — said the bill offers a solution to California’s “pet overpopulation problem” because too few owners voluntarily spay or neuter their pets.

“Unfortunately, it just hasn’t been enough to staunch the flow of unwanted animals,” she said.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has not taken a position on the bill and will not disclose whether his two dogs have been spayed or neutered, said spokesman Aaron McLear: “He doesn’t want to get into the personal lives of Sarge and Spunky.”

It says that breeders and owners could obtain exemptions. I wonder how hard that would be? Also, aren't there hefty fines for letting your animals run loose etc.? I don't know how much a problem stray animals are in California.

I will say this though, it is a HUGE problem in South America, and most people were SHOCKED when I had my 6 month old Mastiff spayed. They thought I was ruining the dog. At the moment, my friend has a street dog they found at the vets and even after cleaning her up etc., there seems to be residual neurological damage left probably due to Distemper. I am all for spaying and neutering animals...definately. But, are these strong arm tactics really necessary in California?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2434914;
    Calif. considers bill requiring pets be fixed - Pet Health - MSNBC.com

What do ya'll think of this? On the one hand, I like that the overpopulation of dogs and cats is being addressed. Clearly there are a lot of irresponsible pet owners. But on the otherhand, I don't like the idea of it being mandatory when so many people can't afford the operation.
    I see your point, but even as much as I love our 4 legged critters, my stand is and always will be (maybe a little hard here) if you cannot afford to have your pets properly cared for, you should not take on the responsibility. To me properly cared for means fixing them, keeping an eye on them, not running loose, regular checkups, etc. In short, if someone cannot afford to have "fluffy" fixed, how can you afford care, since most Vets operate on a cash or credit card basis only?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I've been trying to post and it seems long posts aren't working for me. I apologize if suddenly a post shows up several times. Mods please be lenient on me if that happens and remove the duplicates. I'll try to post what I wanted to later. Don't know why I can post short stuff but not longer stuff.

Teach your children well Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2434938;
    In short, if someone cannot afford to have "fluffy" fixed, how can you afford care, since most Vets operate on a cash or credit card basis only?
    I don't normally agree with the overbearing politics in the 'People's Republic of California', but I'm with Gabe on this one. If you can't afford to have your pet spayed or neutered then how will you be able to properly care for it in the future? Will you not go to the vet when the animal needs care because you can't avoid the vet bills? What kind of pain and suffering will you be putting the animal through because you can't afford proper veterinary care?

Perhaps I'm just uninformed on the issue. I've never had a pet I didn't have 'fixed'. Perhaps there are other excellent reasons to not spay or neuter your animal that aren't provided for in this legislation. Can someone enlighten me on the large group of pet owners that will be ill affected by this measure, other than those who can't afford the vet bills?

The legislation appears to be an effort to lower the burden of unwanted animals on the taxpayers. Personally, I think it's good for the tens of thousands of animals starving in the streets because people couldn't be bothered to spay or neuter their animals.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Perhaps there are other excellent reasons to not spay or neuter your animal that aren't provided for in this legislation
    Dogs must be intact to exhibit at AKC conformation shows. Other than that, I can't imagine what the benefit of an unaltered pet might be.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;2434949;
    I'm with Gabe on this one. If you can't afford to have your pet spayed or neutered then how will you be able to properly care for it in the future? Will you not go to the vet when the animal needs care because you can't avoid the vet bills? What kind of pain and suffering will you be putting the animal through because you can't afford proper veterinary care?
    I'm in complete agreement. A spay/neuter procedure is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of proper lifelong pet care.

There are 10,000 humans born each day in the US, while 70,000 puppies and kittens are born.

Our shelter has to euthanize half of the animals brought in. There simply aren't enough homes, and many who are born in the wild are not adoptable anyway due to health or temperament.

+ Reply to Thread