+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 1764 FirstFirst ... 64647484950515253545556575859606162636465661061565561056 ... LastLast
Like Tree1421Likes

Thread: For animal lovers

Salome, I can't decide which is cuter, the bunny or the Devon
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by Salome
    Below, the Dwarf Hotot and Devon Rex, two breeds that interest me. Any experiences?
    My daughter had 2 dwarf rabbits (picture is post 126 & 127) and they were mean. She got one, felt sorry for it being alone and got another. They did not get along, so she had to get another cage and keep them apart. IMO I'd take a cat anyday. She ended up giving the rabbits away when she moved in with a friend who had pit bulls.
    Last edited by Unklescott; 08-31-2004 at 10:25 PM.

wow roseskid thanks for the great suggestions.

I will definitely try them as she is attached to me like a shadow......
    She is smart and sweet though.

I left my son at home with her when I took my daughter to dance this evening and he said she and looked the whole time........
    Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    Wow, Roseskid, those are really good responses! I wish I'd had you around when I got my chihuahua five years ago. We never did the crate thing. It just looked so cruel (until I understood the reasoning behind it). As a result it took forever (compared to our cats) to train her.

I have a problem with my chihuahua, by the way. She is terrified of storms, and I'm actually afraid she will hyperventilate and pass out. At the first clap of thunder or drop of rain she begins panting and stays as close to us as possible, jumping into our lap begging for reassurance. I feel bad for her because she just gets frantic, and sometimes we have to leave for work and leave her there by herself during the storm. I don't know why she's so scared except that she's just generally nervous,as chihuahuas usually are. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    I have a terrier/mix who's scared to death of loud noises, too, and thunder definitely qualifies. Here's what we do: turn music or tv on loud, hold her, I have even gone so far as to sit on the floor in the laundry room (it is in the center of my house with no windows) and turned the dryer on to help muffle the sound. (I LOVE my dogs! ) She still quakes, however, so this last July 4th, I finally called my vet, and he gave me some tranquilizers for her, and she pretty much didn't care about what was going on at all. It made her drowsy and thirsty, and definitely took the edge off. They are called "acepromazine" and are measured according to your dog's weight. You might want to look into this, too, because sometimes it's just impossible to watch them freak out. My vet was very accommodating and said he prescribes a lot of this stuff around 7/04. BTW, I think some dogs get really scared by loud noises because their hearing is so much better than ours, and of course, they have no idea what it is that's happening.

Hope this helps you. I LOVE DOGS.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Pansygirl
    wow roseskid thanks for the great suggestions.

I will definitely try them as she is attached to me like a shadow......
    She is smart and sweet though.

I left my son at home with her when I took my daughter to dance this evening and he said she and looked the whole time........
    She sounds adorable. She'll become very attached to your son, too, soon enough........she's a lucky dog.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    My daughter had 2 dwarf rabbits (picture is post 126 & 127) and they were mean. She got one, felt sorry for it being alone and got another. They did not get along, so she had to get another cage and keep them apart. IMO I'd take a cat anyday. She ended up giving the rabbits away when she moved in with a friend who had pit bulls.
    Oh, thanks for sharing. That sounds like an aggravating experience. I actually had two (large) rabbits when I was a kid. They didn't make the greatest pets, but my parents and I were inexperienced at the time. (We left the daddy bunny in the cage after the girl gave birth, and he ate the poor babies while I was at my piano lesson!) I know people who have trained their rabbits and really enjoyed their time with them but, as you say, cats are hard to top as companions.

I read that Devons are friendly and cuddly, which is exactly what Iím looking for... not to mention so cute that it should be illegal!

After reading my post above I feel I should make a disclaimer....of course I'm not condoning leaving a pet in a crate for long periods of time, but in this case Pansygirl had a new dog and wasn't sure she could be trusted alone at home yet. OK, I feel better now.

I agree absolutely roseskid . I would not leave my new dog Lucky for an extended period of time in a crate........but I do need to get out of the house once in a while........and she is my shadow......

I sure hope she can get attached to some of my other family members too...... literally would be nice...... but seriously
    Smile it makes people wonder what you are up to.

Salome - I had a dwarf rabbit for a few years (little slip of a thing - named "Justa", cuz she was "justa little bitty thing" ). Lost her in a breakup.
    Just so you know, they live a LONG time (if well cared for), have a great propensity for chewing on wires around the house - (never did break her of that ), and while they can be trained to a litter box, their urine absolutely stinks.

Personally, I'd go with a cat - they have much more to offer in the way of personality.
    Last edited by ADKLove; 09-01-2004 at 12:20 PM.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Salome, those animals are the cutest things. I don't particularly care for rabbits, but that one is to die for.

I'd agree with ADK, though...a cat is probably a more practical choice.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread